• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 10:29 PM

I've used swabs to grab prints (sterlized swabs from a medical manufacturer), they were fucking contaminated. My whole damn supply. They used to be used for actual medical procedures, but not anymore.

I prefer making my own swabs with q-tips, foil, and a jar.

Tried my trusty innoculation loop set from my school days, almost as bad of luck as medical swabs. (still use loops to grab from my slants though).

Most consistency for me is a scalpel and a print.

#42 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,486 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2021 - 01:38 PM

Two new successes so far this season. Last year I learned to clone and start on agar. I got the AVC cube clones I’m working with and I was blessed with a nice flush of Semperviva. This season I have finally gotten a real harvest of Pan Cambo Jambos and a gorgeous crop of Mexicana Chichon Nindo.

Attached Thumbnails

• 95D8EAE8-399B-454F-BF93-08986C660A9C.jpeg
  • 10C025F3-2BD8-4664-818D-F1C8169FCCE9.jpeg

• Riza, ElPirana, makinbones69 and 3 others like this

#43 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,486 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2021 - 11:38 PM

Flush two...

Attached Thumbnails

• 2D26012C-C246-40D9-B723-CF10218A65C7.jpeg

• fahtster, Riza, ElPirana and 2 others like this

#44 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,486 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:01 AM

Interesting development in my AVC cubes, one test tray put out this (to me) perfect sized mushroom on an inch of sub, but more interesting is the pale color compared to the others. I have my three clone selections colonizing shoeboxes now so we’ll see what we get from more realistic grows. Note the nipple. I won’t print anything that lacks that trait.

Attached Thumbnails

• EC23B37C-3F93-4DA2-AA79-861D9259681F.jpeg

• Riza, YoshiTrainer and rockyfungus like this

#45 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 292 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:06 AM

Nice work!!! Those are some sweet looking tubs!

#46 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,486 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:32 PM

Mexicana experiment:

The tub on the right you’ve seen above. Second flush, lid has been off pretty much the entire time, I poured 16oz of water right over the flush and left it to hydrate overnight. Fruits are short and very dark.

Tub on the right is a first flush, same spore print, different culture. I left the lid on the tub in the FC to restrict FAE and light. No misting. Two days ago I relived the lid and put it right under the lights. They are light from the lack of hydration and VERY tall.

Attached Thumbnails

• D16ABC2B-27E4-44DD-A8B1-0C49B120CF7C.jpeg

Edited by Jrotten, 27 January 2021 - 08:34 PM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#47 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,486 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:23 PM

Well I did it again.  I am out of room and plate all over again.  I have waaaaaaaay too many pan clones that need either a T3 or grain, meanwhile I have 4 species I've never fruited on agar also needing transfers.  I really wish you could just go to the dollar store and buy a sleeve of prepoured plates!

In interesting news, I have a semperviva pin in a tub that was spawned very lightly just 29 days ago, which beats my previous record by 72 days!  The super flushing Chichon Nindo was harvested and tossed due to some trich down on a few fruits.  Nothing extreme, but it was there, and I just don't have space for anything questionable right now.  Way too many things happening!

#48 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,486 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:08 AM

First flush of the second Chichon Nindo tray came out bigger. Much bigger. 180g wet versus 123g and 130g for the other tray. I think part of that is because I grew these taller which meant less got trimmed when I manicured them.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0C3C1C56-0037-42FA-82C2-79672CAB7AD3.jpeg

• Sidestreet, cujoloki and rockyfungus like this

#49 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,486 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2021 - 05:19 PM

7 quarts knocked up: 4 Semperviva, 2 pan TX clones, 1 Tampanesis... I hate quarts, going back to half pints immediately. I’d rather just G2G to get the quarts. I think it’s faster and less likely to contaminate. Time will tell, and fast at that.
  • cujoloki likes this

#50 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,486 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2021 - 06:32 PM

Yesterday was busy: transferred or inoculated or both: Allenii, Gym Purp, Pan Cambo, Pan Cyan, Zapotecorum, Caerulescens, and cased pans and cubes.

Two PC runs...

Edited by Jrotten, 07 February 2021 - 09:34 PM.

#51 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,061 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2021 - 09:19 PM

Hellz yeah!

#52 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,486 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2021 - 06:07 PM

Well my day got blown to crap so I got a jump on the two things I’m “focusing” on: Pans and Semperviva. I’m working up a “pans for dummies” method. Not really a two because I stole all the pieces. It just seems to have solved some of my major issues. I have a Pan Cambo Jambo 2nd generation and a clone. I have 2 Pan Cyan West TX Gulf 2nd gens and 2 clones. Hopefully all goes well with these as I’m documenting the method and it would be annoying to fail or contaminate!

On the Semperviva front I’m going big. 3 bags with 2.5lbs of sub I’m going to inoculate with some of the new genetics and one bag of the same with a clone from the first generation.

My AVC cube clones are fruiting rapidly at 75F, my remaining Semperviva shoebox is showing more and more pins every day. My Chichon Nindo fruited invitro... you just can’t stop that one from fruiting. Everything else that just got spawned is sitting at pretty low temps so not a lot happening there. No surprises.

Semperviva pins and pan.. left fo right Cambo var Jambo and the last 4 are the Pan cyan West TX Gulf Coast (whatever that means lol). They’re all 100% even if they don’t look that way. You can really see how different the Jambo is than other pans. And it fruits really well!

Attached Thumbnails

• 137F01F1-4FD9-4380-896F-00F18312A146.jpeg
  • 1FF6EBD0-840F-4959-977D-5AA55D3A9B87.jpeg

Edited by Jrotten, 09 February 2021 - 06:07 PM.

#53 cujoloki

cujoloki

unbeknownst

• OG VIP
  • 321 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 08:20 PM

Holy cottony jars, batman!

• Jrotten likes this

#54 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,634 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2021 - 06:37 AM

Today I went into cold storage and retrieved all my slant cultures. Started thinning out duplicates.

I have a few new strains to add to my library and need to make space! Shit gets out of hand quickly.

Loving the list, mine is more gourmet/albino cubes for now.

I too have been thinning out my duplicate plates and slants. I have been transitioning over to distilled water storage for ling term storage of my masters. I went from taking up 3 shelves in my spare fridge down to a 6 quart tote for all my cultures. I love it because they are maintenance free unlike slants that require at least a visit once a year.
  • Jrotten, YoshiTrainer and rockyfungus like this

#55 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 09:08 AM

Are you suspending mycellium in the distilled water? What type of storage vessel? I can see centrifuge tubes working.

Think I found it in the post you bumped, basically a Liquid innoculant!

Edited by rockyfungus, 10 February 2021 - 09:11 AM.

#56 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,634 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2021 - 11:55 AM

Are you suspending mycellium in the distilled water? What type of storage vessel? I can see centrifuge tubes working.

Think I found it in the post you bumped, basically a Liquid innoculant!

Yes. I harvest mycelium and leave behind the agar, and blend it in distilled water then inject it in to a tube with a stopper. Before sterilizing the tubes i evacuate all the air from the tube making it a vacutainer.

The vacuum ensures that i can fill the tube full without having to port it and leaves only the dissolved O2 in the distilled water. The key is no nutes, and no O2 or at least very minimal.

I believe when no nutes or O2 are present it puts in a state of animated suspension if that's the correct terminology. Its not hibernation because i believe all biological functions stop. If you have O2 or nutes present then the culture will try to complete aerobic cellular respiration or if there are no nutes but lots of O2 it would starve or if there were lots of nutes, but the O2 is depleted then it will suffocate.

Now keep in mind the said-above is in reference to long term storage and im talking 5 years, 10 years, or more. I revived a beach mushroom culture that was 5 years old stored in this method while my buddy Needles, just rejuvenated a Psilocybe azurescens after 8 years.

There some good scientific studies and data on this method but you have to dig through the weeds to find it on the internet. If i can locate the link i visited several years ago i will post it. It was silly like 200 cultures from 20 different species had a 95% regen rate after 3 years or 5 years.....i forget.
  • cujoloki, Jrotten, bezevo and 2 others like this

#57 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 12:45 PM

Sorry to hijack your thread J.

That's so amazing, makes sense. Just grabbed a year old slant out of fridge and it's been a hassle to say the least. https://mycotopia.ne...81#entry1476559

• Jrotten likes this

#58 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,486 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2021 - 02:45 AM

I’m just beginning to develop cultures I want to slant and learning to micro grow for comparison. Please share this information. And all you have on the subject. I have a fridge and just store on plates. It’s not ideal.

Fun pic update.
The cube strain I’m playing with despite a thin sub and mistimed casing and low humidity gave me 240g wet of side pins today. The other tubs are doing the same, middle of the tubs are pinning now... none of this clone has the pronounced nipple, I may or may not print it.

How fast is Semperviva myc? This clone is 4 days old. This is the fastest pin I’ve ever seen reported with Semperviva at just 29 days from SPAWNING. It’s covered a couple of plates in the amount it takes most clones to recover on antibiotic agar.

Attached Thumbnails

• 910535D1-A964-4D8D-AAE7-411E1E92B473.jpeg
  • 4757A27F-2336-482B-880A-469A1C3D397D.jpeg

• cujoloki and YoshiTrainer like this

#59 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,486 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2021 - 11:56 AM

So the cubes are producing, but I'm having some FC issues that are affecting my phenotypes and sidepins are a major hassle.  I'm going to start testing small trashbags to mix spawn and then just use as direct liners.  I've pulled 680g wet off 3 shoeboxes with 2" of sub just in side pins.  I guess since I don't have mamyt things open that haven't already been affected by a few days of unsteady low humidity I will actually make the repairs today.  At this point I can get more cubes in a single grow than I can dispose of in a year.  Of my three clones, they all have very redeeming qualities, and I'd print them all if growing cubes wasn't just so much damn work! lol

#60 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,486 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2021 - 11:12 AM

Growing tropical and subtropical mushrooms in a sub freezing room presents challenges. The biggest in is humidity. I think I need to just bite the bullet and replumb the whole set up. My fogger is condensating in my supply line which creates a P-Trap. I had a plan and got lazy, but it’s now starting to compromise my grow. Trying to keep all these finicky species happy when I can’t control humidity is probably going to end badly. Oddly my Semperviva seem to really like all the rough treatment. They are developing rapidly.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!