#41 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 07:42 AM

ApeR

PXL_20210108_121108076.jpg

I filled the jars light so I'd have lots of room to shake. Whenever these guys are done, I'll probably do two shoeboxes (my first shoeboxes, yay!), and then use the little jar for g2g again. Or does the culture start getting tired and I need to go back to an agar plate or something to get more jars of grain?

I figure I'll do the shoe boxes in a tub drilled for FAE and GE, tape up the bottom holes while colonizing.

But after that I guess my next project is a tub, and I'm not sure what I want to do there.... If I use a modified tub I'm not really sure how to harvest and dunk between flushes. If I use an unmodified tub, I don't have the experience to correct things if it's not working automagically.

Oh well, I'll figure that out AFTER these jars finish and I do my shoeboxes.

• ElPirana likes this

#42 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 297 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 02:32 PM

Same ApeR jars, about 10 days later

PXL_20210117_185346140.jpg  DSC04869-HDR.jpg

Do these look ready for spawning to bulk or G2G? They were shaken once. The two fuller ones I plan on using for shoeboxes, the other for G2G to 5 qts of oats. The last one looks the same as the others even though in the pic it looks way less colonized.

Also, when doing bulk spawns, how do I know when to case?

PXL_20210117_185517645.jpg  PXL_20210117_192046452.jpg

Does the sub need to be completely white like w/BRF cakes? Or do the white knots in the sub mean it's ready to case? Or option 3 that I don't know about yet? I'm using pint jars to try out bulk subs since I don't know what I'm doing yet. These are purple mystics on oats mixed with a combination of coir and jiffy mix as the substrate. I was planning on using straight verm as a casing, but since there's 2, I could try 1 verm and 1 jiffy mix (or CVG) whenever they're ready.

Thanks much all.

Edited by jrh, 17 January 2021 - 02:45 PM.

• Arathu and ElPirana like this

#43 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 297 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:05 PM

I'm thinking I need to wait for things to be more solid white... I'll check in a week or so.

#44 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 465 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:46 PM

Is that coco/spawn in jars, what type of mushroom are they? Most cubes won't need a casing.

• jrh likes this

#45 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 297 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 09:36 PM

Yes, the jars are cubes -- purple mystics. It's oat spawn with some leftover coir supplemented with Jiffy mix. I went ahead and moved them into a FC.

Someone else was telling me a thin layer of verm would help with fruiting. This was a while back when I was working with a pre-made all-in-one bag.

#46 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 693 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:21 PM

To answer one of your earlier questions, afternoon spawning to bulk I wait 10 days to colonize and then case and put into fruiting conditions. A little longer than 10 days is ok, but it won’t look like brf cakes.

I always have used a 50/50 casing of vermiculite and peat. A couple days ago I cased some tubs with vermiculite only cause I ran out of peat and I knew I wouldn’t be able to get more in time. I guess we can both find out how well it works!

Keep up the good work, looks like you’ll have some fruits very soon!
  • jrh likes this

#47 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 465 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:06 PM

So, I had some terrible overlay, super common this whole winter for me...Just scratched the surface with a clean fork and cased. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

In the past when I've cased cubes, I've had casing way higher up the stem then usual.

• jrh likes this

#48 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,457 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 08:52 PM

Nice clean spawn is a beautiful thing........

Can't wait to see where this goes........ :cool:

A

• jrh likes this

#49 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 297 posts

Posted Today, 05:53 AM

Nice clean spawn is a beautiful thing........

Can't wait to see where this goes........ :cool:

Thanks!

The two full jars went towards my first shoeboxes, my first tubs of any sort. I got the pattern for the GE and FAE holes from a youtube video, but it sounds like it's more common to see 6 big holes, 2 at 3" up on the long sides and 1 near the top on the short sides. Live and learn.

PXL_20210126_101116878.jpg

The scant jar went towards more spawn. These are on day 8 and were shaken 2-3 days ago, I think. ApeR seems to come on strong with very thick, vigorous, bright white growth. 2-3 days after a g2g, the jars looked like white polka dots, quickly expanding to dime and nickel-sized patches. After that, though, the mycelium seemed content to munch on what it had already colonized rather than expanding and knitting the polka dots together across the whole jar. So I gave everything a thorough shake and now it looks like it's almost done.  I'm planning on using the 5 jars for an unmodified monotub, but I'm open to suggestions.

PXL_20210126_101133140.jpg

I'm trying to learn patience by adding a 'do' date to my stuff, as in don't worry about whether it's time to do something else with this spawn until after this date. So I can go look at my jars every few hours and say 'ooh, pretty' but I don't need to think about doing anything with them until later. (I'm currently unemployed, so 2 days of looking feels like a week of waiting.)

#50 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,457 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 06:52 AM

Look super closely next time and you'll probably see that the mycelium has actually run all over the grains. By the time we can actually see it thickening up it's well established.....

Looking great......very nice, neat, work.....learning the patience is of great value to us all IMHO.....woodlovers take years sometimes.....  :meditate: 

A

#51 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 259 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 07:41 AM

There’s no “wrong or right” way of doing things, but I would definitely modify your mono tub, as you’ve seen many arguments around here on the topic, they don’t need a lot of fae and/or modification to grow, but they do benefit a great amount with it. That same style you did with your FC would be great, I do mine 5” above the sub level in a 60q mono.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!