• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#41 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 04:54 PM

I'd wait to see if it can push the fruit out, I usually cut a bit more to allow it to breathe but not be wide open.

I put the inkbird sensor inside a bag leading to more realistic RH. Now my fans are desperately trying to dry it out a bit.

• Auhron likes this

#42 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,920 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2021 - 05:38 PM

Yeah I'm liking that.....looking good and informative as well.

A

#43 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 07:55 AM

Getting tent dialed in, gonna try a few renovations today. Still have the pinkish/red LM in tent, not effecting the newer blocks.

Lm1.JPG

LM2.JPG

KOpin.JPG
King oyster pinning (had 2 blocks get some weird blobby growth, so outside they go...this has it too  :mad:  )

Shelves need to be changed out for ones with holes/grating. Humidifier will be modded and moved outside. Trying a few different exhaust fans/circulating fans.

Edited by rockyfungus, 31 January 2021 - 07:56 AM.

• Arathu, cujoloki, Moonless and 1 other like this

#44 cujoloki

cujoloki

unbeknownst

• OG VIP
  • 321 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 10:16 PM

I put the inkbird sensor inside a bag leading to more realistic RH.

What do you mean by this?

#45 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 12:18 AM

Sorry, It's suspended into a unicorn bag. My first try it was suspended in the tent directly, measuring the tents RH. Probably more realistic getting the RH in the actual micro-climate of the bag.

Think I'll harvest some manes tomorrow morning. Put a few more blocks into fruiting.

sack.JPG

So you can see where my tent kinda clicked. (seems pink is from low humidity and not direct misting, but I'm guessing)

undersack.JPG

underside

LM new.JPG (why did this get flipped?)

Bag with 3 diff fruits

Kopin.JPG
Decent kingset...got a better feeling they won't abort, caps look healthier.

Just noted these look way way different then previous grows. Usually I get fat stems and like a nipple...hmmm

Edited by rockyfungus, 03 February 2021 - 12:41 AM.

#46 cujoloki

cujoloki

unbeknownst

• OG VIP
  • 321 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 08:58 AM

Right. Having the sensor in an open bag inside the FC will result in lower rh in the FC though. That should keep blocks happy and keep the mister from over working. Would it be ideal for the cut bags too? Looks like the hericium is dialed in for you! Great fruits! I will get there. I have had a decent grain spawn run this time around. You dont mop out your tent everyday?
  • rockyfungus likes this

#47 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 09:27 AM

Lionscrop.JPG

Getting there want more pure white fruits...Got too much mane, so giving away some to friends/coworkers...Lets get em hooked, so they gotta buy...

• Skywatcher, cujoloki, FLASHINGROOSTER and 1 other like this

#48 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 05:18 PM

Well, shit, Inkbird sensor died! Had it a week...Into a bag of desiccant to hopefully revive. Has year warranty...

Seems to be working, so decided to calibrate it and my other hygrometer.

You dont mop out your tent everyday?

It seems with the right airflow and the sensor dehumidifying (small fan pointing into tent), I hardly get condensation. I'll post a picture as I tweak it a bit more.

Edited by rockyfungus, 03 February 2021 - 06:30 PM.

#49 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 06:04 PM

Once again my Kings aborted....What the flying fuck!

Just made Mei Fun with some Lions Mane, was quite delish.

This morning I had to wipe up some water on the bottom of the tent. Believe it's from getting a bit warmer outside.

tent.JPG

Blurple light right over the mush, which I'll probably have to move. On the other side is a cheap window fan unit that can exhaust or intake. I have it set to blow the mist down over the bags.
Ultrasonic on the bottom, still want to mod it to have a hose coming in from outside. Outside the tent is a small fan that kicks on when my humidity increases above 96. Still trying to get this setup to work ideally.

Seems decent enough for Lions Mane, Oysters aren't caring for it...maybe they need more FAE, been a minute since I looked over parameters.

Cubes don't care for the tent either...I'm getting pins that appear to be growing into the sub?

Edited by rockyfungus, 05 February 2021 - 06:13 PM.

#50 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2021 - 10:13 PM

I always have that problem with my king oysters too.

#51 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 11:29 PM

Have another set of KO's pinning, this time I poked a few holes with a syringe into the bag. Instead of making a slit.

You dont mop out your tent everyday?

It seems with the right airflow and the sensor dehumidifying (small fan pointing into tent), I hardly get condensation. I'll post a picture as I tweak it a bit more.

I forgot to turn on the ceiling fan in the tent today and had to mop it out. Seems like correct airflow and consistent temperatures decrease condensation. 

• Arathu likes this

#52 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2021 - 09:50 PM

I'm hoping your kings work out for you this time!

#53 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,920 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 06:10 AM

Dig it man.....

https://www.engineer...air-d_1403.html

https://www.engineer...-air-d_687.html

Might be time to start a community fruiting tent thread.......I've already collected/purchased most the hardware for an 8X10 greenhouse style tent.....

I LOVE to build a small pole barn with a concrete floor for this or even down into the ground with block walls.....it's in the plans.....

I need to get humidity and temperature sensors AND program my PLC to maintain conditions.......I'll be busy this summer for sure...

I'm certain at this point that the "floor" is going to get wet regularly.....

Keep at it, I've found that I have to dial in each species as I try them.....which makes sense.....meanwhile I plan on plugging logs with most of these species too...

A

• Moonless, rockyfungus and Auhron like this

#54 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:04 AM

Thanks for the reading material!

A community discussion about automated FC would be amazing. I am not a very mechanical thinker so I need to steal others ideas, or have it trigger inspiration.

My plans was a shed, waterproof it, and control the whole environment, but that's gonna be a bit pricey. Thinking about building more of a solarium, the sun here is all you need for passive heating.

I've been trying to source some logs/chips to start playing with as well. Chipdrop is kinda cool, they will just drop a truckload of requested wood off at your place.

• Arathu, Needles and cujoloki like this

#55 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 07:51 PM

Last set of kings failed. It's most likely the temperature of my tent due to me using an old grow light...

These are grown in complete darkness in my tent with an average temperature of 65, instead of 75. Shoeboxes with coir and a jiffymix casing. 
KOcoir.JPG
Have a bunch of blocks hopefully finishing soon, being lazy and need to mix 'em up. Based on a video recommended here or the rabbithole it led down I'm experimenting with leaving my spawn on top then mixing as it colonizes. 

Gourmet.JPG

Front row: Enoki (mixed), Lions Mane, Shiitake.

Back row: King Oyster (2), Lions Mane (2), Gallndoli 

Lions mane is my favorite mycelium I've worked with so far. It's just neuronal in nature, I get why they think it has neuroregenerative properties. That logic has no reality, that mushroom looks like an ear must be good for hearing...

LM.JPG

• Myc, Arathu and Moonless like this

#56 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2021 - 08:25 PM

Hopefully your kings work out this time round! 

• rockyfungus likes this

#57 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2021 - 08:55 PM

King Oysters thrive in the open air.

I normally raise spawn -

And prepare some straw bales by hydrating them.

Inoculate the bales with a gardening fork, case with soil on top, - plant your choice of companion plants.  Usually, in about 30 days I'll get more than I can eat popping up from the bales. You must get them quickly or the caps can get a bit firm or tough.

All of this outdoors.

Excellent work with the Lion's Mane!!

Your write-up here will save folks tons of time in the future.

Edited by Myc, 19 March 2021 - 08:57 PM.

• bezevo, Moonless and rockyfungus like this

#58 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,190 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2021 - 09:04 PM

Myc what companion plants do you grow on  your straw bail ..

#59 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 02:09 PM

King Oysters thrive in the open air.

I normally raise spawn -

And prepare some straw bales by hydrating them.

Inoculate the bales with a gardening fork, case with soil on top, - plant your choice of companion plants.  Usually, in about 30 days I'll get more than I can eat popping up from the bales. You must get them quickly or the caps can get a bit firm or tough.

All of this outdoors.

I got an experiment going in my greenhouse with a planter full of hay, random wood, cardboard, basically lignin heavy stuff and a ton of old oyster blocks. 
Was digging the other day and it's running. Can't tell if it's pinning under the recent layer of mulch. I doubt they can fruit in the greenhouse as it swings from 20's to 120+ in hours...will most likely move this huge planter of spawn around the garden to hay.

My companion plant I'll be sowing soon is clover.

#60 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 10:12 AM

Decent flush of King oyster, lesson learned the smaller your substrate the smaller the fruits. I had used leftover substrate at about 1/2 inch thick. 

Here's the planter

planter.JPG

Here's some of that last substrate getting ready for a mixing in. Got a bit frosty last night in the greenhouse...

KOspawn.JPG

• Arathu likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!