• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#81 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 10:12 AM

Outdoor lion manes popping up. Color isn't great, but lets see what mother nature can do.

fruit.JPG

Edited by rockyfungus, 21 May 2021 - 04:18 PM.

• Arathu and MushLuvR like this

#82 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 May 2021 - 01:37 PM

I've read lion mane won't fruit twice on the same surface...the asshole top fruited once more and my side hole is barely producing.

I've had the same thing happen to my fruiting blocks! My most recent harvest I clipped the fruit off just above the bag, without pulling out from the bag so I didn't disturb the outer layer of substrate, I'll know if that makes a difference in a week or two...

Hopefully your outdoor fruits mature, a little bit of discoloration isn't the end of the world. Is this just at ground level, or in a container elevated from the ground at all?

• rockyfungus and MushLuvR like this

#83 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 04:10 PM

I wonder if not disturbing surface is helpful. The side holes I stuck a knife in the block as I see some guys doing that. I prefer to cut the bag and leave sub alone.

These patches are in ground. Dug a hole as far as the clay allows me, drop sub in, cover with hay, cover with naturscapes woodchips and keep wet. 

Lions mane is turning super red now, maybe I should shade it better. Here's king oyster in ground, hope I get more as there is some pins under the hay. Still unable to get Oysters to sporulate probably just harvesting too early.

oystttah.JPG

Now I just need enoki, reishi, and winecaps to popup and I consider my gourmet run a success. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 21 May 2021 - 04:18 PM.

#84 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 10:22 AM

Outdoor fruit growing slowly I placed a plastic planter over top and the indirect light helps.

LM.JPG

I believe I've been successful at a few King Oyster prints now, so hard to tell with white spores. Lions mane had a similar appearance on foil. Gills may show slight white fuzz, myc because it's been printing for a few days, camera artifact?

gills.JPG

Issue is deciding if I'm seeing condensation or spores.

wet.JPG

drier.JPG

Edited by rockyfungus, 23 May 2021 - 10:23 AM.

#85 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 08:29 AM

Went to water my mush patches this morning and found a guy worthy of King. The Lions Mane fruit appears aborted and turned pinkish/red, I'll attempt to clone it.

Oysters clean up nicely and I guess dinner plans have changed.

fresh.JPG

kings.JPG

oystergill.JPG

• Arathu, Skywatcher, Auhron and 1 other like this

#86 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 01:29 PM

Those kings blew my mind! I've not the hugest fan of eating mushrooms, but kings have been consistently amazing no matter how I cook 'em.

Marinated mushroom in a random Asian-influenced sauce (white pepper, tamari, sambal oelek, dash of rice wine vinegar, not sure if anything else was in there,I just taste along the journey...) tossed it all with chicken-fried rice. 

Opened a few of my King Prints and it was just condensation...Even outside I didn't see a spore drop

Current projects. Lions Mane on random woods/hay (dumb fruiting chamber won't get nice fruits, may put a lid on the containers and drill a small hole.

LMrando.JPG

Shiitakes pinning, not a huge flush but this was cloned from a log a non-grower bought. He managed 6 flushes, better then I can do I bet!

I hope this is fine just having the blocks in FC (they were prepped by being sprayed by my kitchen sink handle and then dunked for 20 minutes in cold water)

Shiiit.JPG

Oyster flush looking awesome...if it aborts again I'm done trying to fruit till I can get the motivation to redesign my FC. I'll bury this block and do the mushroom & rain dance!

Kingpinsss.JPG

Edited by rockyfungus, 30 May 2021 - 01:33 PM.

• MushLuvR likes this

#87 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 01:15 PM

Outdoor lions mane's looking ok all things considering, has 3 fruits popping up. Just looking to print/clone the fruits, they don't look too tasty considering they are growing up instead of off a tree. 

pinkmane.JPG

My "2nd colony" is enjoying some hay and random twigs and a bit of master's mix. 

Mane.JPG

One block of shiitake seemed "gooey" and just off so it was added to the garden of failure, for rebirth. These were grown in complete darkness, to keep the temperature down in my tent. Not sure if the lack of color in the caps is due to lack of light radiation. 

Shiit.JPG

Printing some shiitake, cloning the big one, and allowing my shiitake block to dry out for a few weeks before it get's the hose again. 
Printstation.JPG
My oysters are just kinda meh still, huge stems but literally no caps just a little pin head. Another flush of oysters coming through outside. 

Nothing like fresh shiitake! Olive oil, garlic, onion, dash of tamiri, dash of rice wine vinegar (or wine), into a lazy omelet with cheddar. Think I can hopefully get back to putting on some weight. Lightest I've ever been...

Edit: I pissed off the rotation gods and well they can deal

Edited by rockyfungus, 03 June 2021 - 01:18 PM.

• Arathu, Auhron and MushLuvR like this

#88 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 07:51 AM

Fruiting chamber died taking out king oyster and lions mane with it. My pan cyans also didn't make it. 

Have another bag of KO finishing up that I might give to a friend to see if they can get some fruits. He's gotten 4-5 flushes out of a shiitake kit...

Had a few more shiitakes, oyster, and lions mane to eat since I've last updated. Really digging my outdoor set up as it's producing a few pounds of mush a week for dinner. 

Finally confirmed King Oyster prints. Also printed it on black paper and it's most definitely printed. I just need another few lions mane prints and shiitake and I may close the gourmet projects down till I can design a real FC.

KOprint.JPG

Here's what lions mane's keep looking like, usually the underneath is white and nice tendrils. (can't get these to print!)

uglymane.JPG

Decided to pluck this guy this morning here's his good side. 

goodside.JPG

Edited by rockyfungus, 08 June 2021 - 10:43 AM.

• Arathu, Skywatcher and Auhron like this

#89 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:56 AM

Nice work getting prints from your kings. My Lion's Mane were a pain to print also, but eventually I got it. the spines were over 1/4" long before I had nay success with printing them.

• rockyfungus likes this

#90 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 11:02 AM

Auhron, how are your shiitakes. Did they ever flush?

Was struggling with deciding to grow out longer or harvest before nature does. I'll have to redesign my wood pit more vertically somehow, or make logs.

This fruit is printing with the stem in a shot glass and the fruit hanging over tin foil covered by a huge bowl. I have some "prints", but I'm nervous some may be condensation like other "white prints" I've made. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 08 June 2021 - 11:02 AM.

#91 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2021 - 12:08 PM

No luck on the Shiitake, I've only ever had those two little pins (aborted), but I've had 6 blocks of nice crusty brown myceliated substrate. Doesn't seem to matter what I do for temperature, humidity, dunking, spraying, hitting them... Nothing. I am working with a new strain now, LC for it is growing out atm. I'm hoping for better results with this strain. It's a Warm weather strain, I think it will be happier with the temperatures indoors. Only time will tell. I'll just keep working at it, hopefully learn from the experiences.

My Lion's Mane that I printed in a jar had tons of condensation, when I opened the lid a crack and let it sit in front of my hepa filter, once it dried out there was a nice white film coating the jar. So there may be spores hiding in that condensation.

#92 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 10:46 AM

That's so odd that you get that brown popcorn look but it refused to fruit. I'm starting to get the feel for weather related projects especially with gourmets. If you got the outdoor space consider throwing them outdoors and spraying 'em. Outdoor fruits will put anything you can do indoor to shame typically

Nice! I have so many saved LC's, plates, and slants for KO and LM that I'm not too worried about spores.

I'm assuming I cloned a warm shiitake as it really did great considering I can't get LM/KO to look anywhere near decent. My color was pale but I'm assuming that's from growing in the dark. 

If you want a print of that shiit let me know!

Edited by rockyfungus, 10 June 2021 - 10:47 AM.

#93 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 28 June 2021 - 07:06 PM

Outdoor loving the rain and drop in temperature.

KO.JPG

Big guy went into some ramen.

Edited by rockyfungus, 28 June 2021 - 07:07 PM.

#94 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 09:33 AM

myc.JPG

Last flush didn't get consumed quick enough, hoping that's myc as it's going to a new pile of straw. 

KOs.JPG

No worries more oystah

sporess.JPG

Easiest way to print lions mane. Let it fruit on agar and forget it. (2nd wild strain, still likes to form smaller clusters)

kings.JPG
Dinner hopefully

Edited by rockyfungus, 05 July 2021 - 10:49 AM.

• Arathu likes this

#95 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:35 AM

Trying to move projects back indoors has been a nightmare. Everything has succumbed to the green. "Clean cultures" from the fridge once transferred showed green. Also some "clean" plates had green spores on lid once they were transferred from. Plates seemed clean before fridge, unsure if bacterial damage, the fridge too cold, or just stored to long. Need a microscope. 

Here's a few that seem clean and I'll move to master's mix. 2 King Oysters and an enoki. I really need to go GLC-> wood. I've been really defeated lately by the green, I'm sure it'll be scraping the agar/grain into the wood. 

gour.JPG

#96 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 06:49 AM

The KO's as expected are looking clean and exploded. Don't really want to shake these sketchy containers and I'm going tupperware-> bags. PO on top is looking like trich. I'll let it ride till confirmed and throw to the bed outside. 

That enoki turned some oat green and some to puffy white...Dang that's the last of enoki on plates. May be a slant in fridge.

POKO.JPG

Should be much easier now, time to get serious!

flow.JPG

Once I'm more comfortable under the flow,  been saving some agar from a trade. Pioppini, traditional oysters (pink or elm), warm shii, and a few others I'm forgetting. Agar in sandwich bags...

Now to source cabinets and a rack to work on.  :biggrin:

Edited by rockyfungus, 23 September 2021 - 06:54 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!