• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 465 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 09:33 AM

Got bored growing a million different varieties of cubes, so decided to try some of the albino prints I accumulated over the years.

Here's a tiny grow of Avery Albino+ and Rusty White (is this even a true albino?).

I started from agar and put to grain on Transfer 2.

Here's my first flush. Small fruits, but I only used about 15g of coco coir per container.

Goal is to clone the nicest looking fruit and grow that out.

Never seen these brown lines going down the stipes. Is that just too much humidity? Trying to dial my grow in now that I got a home humidifier.

albinos.JPG
Rusty on left, and Avery will be ready before I get home from work tonight.

Edited by rockyfungus, 11 December 2020 - 09:33 AM.

• Freaky and YoshiTrainer like this

#2 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 465 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 08:01 PM

Weak first flush on Avery, hopefully 2nd gives me some to clone.

Nice solid stems compared to ever other cube I've worked with, other then field grown.

IMG_E6280.JPG '

These were in the dehydrator before I remembered to snap a picture.

Rusty is really slow, hoping it didn't stall out. Seems really wet, even though the sub was prepared at the same time.

#3 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,354 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2020 - 09:44 PM

I love the albino cubes - I'm just learning about these new varieties like the RW and AA so thank you for the looksie at these. 

• CatsAndBats likes this

#4 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 465 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 10:46 PM

I believe the Avery is an amazon.

Think Rusty White was like an old strain from the 80's the "other forum" resurrected.

These Avery's are meaty. Reminds me so much of the Florida Cubes I used to pick as a teenager.

Hopefully they print, guess they are leucistic then?

• Freaky likes this

#5 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,354 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2020 - 11:02 PM

What I know of albino vs leucistic are the albino's have clear spores and the leucistic varieties have dark spores with white pigment fruitbodies.....though I'm not 100% I understand it correctly.  When I stopped growing TCO was still working with Falbino and Workman had just created the APE hybrid - these new strains I'm seeing and reading about, AA+ and RW, I'm still learning about and I guess they fall into the leucistic category if they're dropping dark spores.

It's all very cool to me though.  

I have some spore prints from TCO when he was first working on Falbino - I'm going to try to hydrate some and get on agar and see what I can get. I know what I have are probably his F1 and F2 versions.  

It makes me think a lot about how much more common it seems folks are getting the leucitic fruit popping up in their grows - could it be more from an indoor growing environment? Who knows, but it's certainly very interesting to me. 

#6 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 465 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 11:09 PM

If I recall the prints were super dark.

I'll have to read about this Falbino, never heard of it.

I'll send ya some prints when I get some worthy prints, got some g2g going. So there's more on the way.

I want to keep exploring these, but I can't eat them fast enough.

If I recall the prints were super dark.

I'll have to read about this Falbino, never heard of it.

I'll send ya some prints when I get some worthy prints, got some g2g going. So there's more on the way.

I want to keep exploring these, but I can't eat them fast enough.

comp.JPG

Not pure white, but pretty dang close.

Edited by rockyfungus, 11 December 2020 - 11:14 PM.

• Freaky likes this

#7 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,354 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2020 - 11:22 PM

Definitely what I would term a white or albino fruitbody - non pigmented to me.

The history of the Falbino is around here - The Chosen One (TCO) shared a lot of his work with it and with the PF Albino.  There's some good reading in those old threads.  So much has changed and progressed since then, it's kind of nice I get to have all the past and still so much of the new to learn and read about.  Especially with these albino and leucistic strains that seem prevalent now.

• cujoloki likes this

#8 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 465 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 11:29 PM

I wish I knew about this forum back in the early days of the internet. Unfortunately, I was on the shroomery for years, lurking.

#9 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 465 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 09:42 AM

Rusty White really does like stalled out.

The biggest guy has turned blue, not sure if it's from hitting the lid of the tupperware last night. Doesn't appear any larger. I may pull them all in 2-3 days and see what the 2nd flush brings.

Just odd that it's my normal sub and normal procedures and so slow. Wasn't a slower colonizer, was as aggresive as AA+ on agar. (I like to make sure my agar grows at a steady rate, or transfers are roughly growing out at the same rate)

Few caps show possible bacterial blotching, so maybe just bad spores?

rw.JPG

• Freaky likes this

#10 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 237 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 01:55 PM

Nice thread!

I'm struggling since months with some albino cultures that were frozen multiple times and stored for too long.

A TAT culture (true albino teacher - albino golden teacher) is senesced aswell.

Albino Burma is pinning right now.

Gonna post some pics in a couple days.

Leucism and albinism are two different mutations.

Leucistic fruits have white/whitish blue caps but dark spores and yellowish stems.

Albino fruits completely lack any colour and have white stems, white caps and transparent spores.

AA+, Moby Dick, Rusty whyte for example are leucistic, while APE, TAT, PF Albino and many more have true albino fruits.

Everything with dark spores is not an albino.

The Falbino has dark spores right ?

I've seen that name in a list with an albino picture, slightly confused.

Looking forward to see more on this thread !

Edited by DickMoby, 12 December 2020 - 02:03 PM.

• Freaky, Salty117 and Nicked like this

#11 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 465 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 02:09 PM

You're welcome to post your pictures here, with some real albinos. Appreciate the information.

Was able to have someone cover me at work, so I'm cooking up some coir and spawning two baby food jars. One is AA+, other one was unlabeled but I believe is RW.

unkalb.JPG

AA+ left, RW? right

• Freaky and Moby like this

#12 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 465 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 12:31 AM

RW definitely stalled out. Never seen that before. Lots of bluing at base of stems, over-misting?

All the guys felt aborted, even the big ones were just dry and hard.

Plucked whole block and I'm soaking it for a few hours as it felt too dry...Really confused on this.

Might try casing the next batch. Just put two more small trays into fruiting.

Attached Thumbnails

• aborttray.JPG
  • preclean.JPG

Edited by rockyfungus, 13 December 2020 - 12:36 AM.

#13 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 465 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 12:34 AM

Double post

Edited by rockyfungus, 13 December 2020 - 12:34 AM.

#14 FunG

FunG

"Trump 2021"

• Free Member
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 12:53 AM

Current grow
Great white monsters (shaken)

20201213_225113.jpg

(Not shaken)

20201213_225127.jpg

I've been plagued with green mold while trying to grow these guys out again for more prints. They produce alot of sterile caps (no spores) and obtaining a dark print is rare just alot of light colored prints unfortunently.

Heres a picture from the grow I continued with the spores collected from. (6-8months ago)

20200426_092006.jpg

I dont know if gwm is a pf albino rename or just aa+ since those were the only two albino p.cubensis that were on the known market back in 2004-05 that I can remember.

Ape is the only known albino hybrid engineered by workman as of the last 10 years.
  • Skywatcher likes this

#15 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 237 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 09:40 AM

The RW looks like it bruised where you touched them.

Stalling usually is a sign of either a contaminated jar or tub or too dry but honestly I've seen people grow mushs from cakes that looked like a dry coir brick and still threw mature fruits, don't think yours was too dry.

Overmisting :/ depends on how close to the fruits you sprayed, cubes don't abort that easy from spraying, I've sprayed my tubs directly for over a year and nothing aborted.

The GWM is something we can't know for sure.

Theres people saying its just AA+ and theres people who say it clearly isn't AA+ because the fruits have their own characteristics and like you mentioned the prints are different aswell.

We gotta differentiate between leucistic and albino varieties.

AA+ even though the name says Albino A+ is not an albino but a leucistic variety, so is GWM and Rusty whyte.

Not sure about Falbino tho!

PF albino aswell is a true albino, not a leucist.

Here some pictures of a senesced albino burma

IMG_20201214_151032_671.jpg

IMG_20201214_151023_987.jpg

IMG_20201214_151015_834.jpg

The beige tone comes from wet caps, shadows and lighting, the bigger caps absorbed most of the water and look more white.

Albinos also have completely white gills while leucistic varieties have beige/brown gills.

Here some senesced TAT

IMG_20201214_151112_598.jpg

IMG_20201214_151108_155.jpg

IMG_20201214_151104_598.jpg

This culture is even worse and produces less and smaller fruits but also a true albino.

FunG

what do you mean with that 

"Ape is the only known albino hybrid engineered by workman as of the last 10 years."

Not sure if I understand you right, does that mean you don't believe in other real albinos?

Please correct me if I'm wrong

• Skywatcher and rockyfungus like this

#16 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,530 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2020 - 11:11 AM

These must be "Fake Albinos" as they produce clear and dark spores.

post-105498-0-03745500-1548381157.jpg

Edited by coorsmikey, 15 December 2020 - 05:04 PM.

• Skywatcher, Boebs and Nicked like this

#17 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 258 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2020 - 11:35 AM

Here’s a good thread on the GWM from a while back.

https://mycotopia.ne...-heard-of-this/

What sandman said is 100% true if you ask me. I’m from shroomotopia and I received my print from NHMI, and also have an iso B culture somewhere too that produces the odd yellow mushroom. I really wish shroomotopia was still around at least to check the vaults.

I don’t care to argue about what my “albino genetics” are because I know for a fact they are different from the rest and regardless, they’re bad ass.
  • coorsmikey, Salty117, rockyfungus and 1 other like this

#18 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 237 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 12:57 PM

It's not about real or fake.

I said "real albino" because the names "Albino A+" and "Falbino" (still not sure about Falbino because nobody answers me - I've seen a picture of Falbino with an albino fruit but I've also seen prints here from Falbino that are dark so either the picture I've seen is BS or the spores are not actually Falbino) sell a leucistic variety as an albino so that action makes them fake albinos.

BUT in the core leucistic varieties are their own thing (mutation) so they're not fake albinos, just the wrong naming based on old and wrong info makes the wrongly named ones "fake albinos".

I'm not sure whats going on with the mushrooms on that picture, I don't see dark spores on the picture but if you say theey drop dark spores then they drop dark spores. Maybe unstable and/or mixed genes with non albino mycelium, can't say for sure, I'm not a mycologist and don't know enough about the genetic background and how exactly everything works.

I feel like its necessary to clarify the difference between leucism and albinism because the wrongly named varieties make people believe they got albinos and unconsciously spread wrong info.

Albino fruits lack the ability to produce any color and therefore have transparent spores, completely white fruits and white gills.

Leucistic fruits "only" have white caps and anything else is normal, its a clear difference between both.

• Salty117 and Sharonlovesu2 like this

#19 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,530 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2020 - 02:39 PM

I would be cool to see some microscope photos of albino or clear/transparent spores. Or even more easily achieved spore print on black foil or similar. Leucitic or Albino, Fake Albinos work for me just as well as I am happy to call them that too. My point was more in reference to an above comment that suggested that all pigment deficient cubes can have only originated from PF Albino or AA+ and that anything since is one of the two renamed. There is plenty of documentation to suggest that is naive to believe that. Not so much to debate whether the pigment deficient mushrooms pictured are to be labeled leucitic or albino.

Workman is the one who originally stated that to true Albino it must be sterile or clear spored while lacking pigment. As far a see so far is that there is no true Albinos in circulation by those standard and everyone is just regurgitation the same info over and over again. Maybe I have missed something along the line, so for my own understanding can any provide pics of viable colorless spores? There should be something around here or on another site that maybe someone remembers?

Edited by coorsmikey, 14 December 2020 - 02:54 PM.

• Moby and Sharonlovesu2 like this

#20 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 237 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 03:26 PM

Get it.

Understood you wrong.

I don't have a source for spore pictures but I know for a fact that albinism can happen in every MS grow that anyone does!

Two "old" friends of mine, Fernweh and Oryx both had random albino fruits show up.

Oryx had a albino B+ fruit on agar which was a normal B+ plate.

Fernweh sent a video into a group of beautiful people that I was part of and showed us a random Ecuador albino fruit in her tub while all the rest were normal fruits.

This sounds harsh but I think some people here really should not take 10-20 year old assumptions from people that were active back then and take that as facts.

As for viable transparent spores, all the albinos that are around now only have transparent spores.

As backup they are swabbed, not printed. I've been told that they often don't drop spores from alone like PE, no idea why that.

I'm currently hopefully saving these varieties, hope to be able to swab them and collect some spores tomorrow to get a fresh culture.

If I'm successfull, I'm gonna try to make a print from the MS grow on something dark, not sure if it will work tho

• coorsmikey likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!