104 replies to this topic

#21 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 258 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2020 - 05:41 PM

I just picked these 2 gwm from the same bin, one is sterile and one isn’t. Being sterile is also a sign of vert, which I’ve been battling for like a year now. You can also see the lob sided caps and deformed stipe. Ive done these so many times and haven’t seen one sterile cap until it started with this vert.

Attached Thumbnails

• BBF22D04-208A-4119-9BD7-CC1EEEF68A92.jpeg

• FunG likes this

#22 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 237 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 06:05 PM

Dude theres no vert, the fruit looks just normal

• FunG likes this

#23 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 465 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 06:56 PM

The on left is showing some spores too, unless they got moved from the darker guy on right.

Ughhh, so I dropped a cake this morning as I was fanning it. Right when I got home from work I dropped it again. Let's see if they survived 2 bounces off the floor...

Edited by rockyfungus, 14 December 2020 - 07:04 PM.

#24 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,530 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2020 - 08:56 PM

People say APE is a "true" albino and yes they swab the spore because they barley produce any spores at all. That is why I think people believe they are transparent. I am of belief that they are in just small nearly invisible to the naked eye quantities. Occasionally on a very mature APE you can actually see the purplish-black spores on the swab. I have yet to get a swab that spores we not visible that actually germinated as well. I can say that when APE fruits are centrifuged to make syringes for commercial use, they are most definitely dark. I could probably dig up a syringe that came from a popular vendor as a reference. I'm not quite sure if I still have them. Someone in possession of a APE syringe could also put a drop under a scope too.

It is of my opinion that the only true albinos by traditional standards are sterile. Once they produce spores they are by traditional standards not considered a "true albino". That is why getting visuals on clear spores would be great to see.( and yes I know there a few fanatics out there saying our loud that if they are clear they are invisible, yet if you dump a bunch of glass bead on the table you can see them) But how much does it matter when I label it leucitic because of the dark spores does it make when my Aunt Susie says she would love to have another yearly dose of her favorite Nephew's Albino mushrooms. Tom8to, Tom0to she says just give me some of them white ones cuz they work best for her PTSD than the other ones. On New Year's Eve when I break out the bags at my Socially Distanced party with less than 10 people from the same household they will be asking for the "Albinos" and I guarantee no body will be saying "but don't you have some normal pigmented mushrooms? I can only eat leucitic or pigmented mushrooms." Lol Sorry I making myself laugh....Ewe, I can see the spores on those gills, you all are gonna have to trip without me."

Edited by coorsmikey, 14 December 2020 - 08:56 PM.

• Stencill86 likes this

#25 FunG

FunG

"Trump 2021"

• Free Member
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 10:40 PM

You slightly misunderstood me moby.

I wasnt meaning to imply that other albino traits dont exist in other p.cubensis. just about every p.cube name sake under the sun can produce albino fruits.

But printing from those fruits does not guarantee the same albino traits will carry over, if anything they most certainly wouldn't, you would need to continue from a live culture tissue sample of the albino fruit to grow them out again

Ape I was saying is the only true albino cross breed because it will always fruit as a albino besides the other known albinos pf, aa+, gwm....

And the gene that causes it is indented in the spores genetic profile like a stamp, you dont get that with p.cubensis that just produce albino fruits every once and awhile.

Those would be true albinos if the spores genetics are encoded to fruit as albino.

Heres a pic of how the caps (white gills) sterile, reddish rustic brown gills and dark purple gilled caps.

White gilled gaps contrary to your belief moby are just sterile caps with no spore load, they're not invisible spores.

I lost another 2 to trich today...leaves me with 6 pretty good looking jars of wbs and two grain spawn masters....all this albino talk has me craving some.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200617_115009.jpg

Edited by FunG, 14 December 2020 - 10:47 PM.

• Moby likes this

#26 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 237 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 07:40 AM

I hear your opinions.

Averys Albino is like you can see here an Albino that drops translucent spores

https://www.shroomer...Number/26504883

AA+ is a different variety that drops purple spores, its leucistic.

I tried my best to take pictures through the tub, all the gills are pure white, theres not a single visible spore or even beige gills, its all pure white.

IMG_20201215_125939_529.jpg

IMG_20201215_125934_677.jpg

IMG_20201215_125930_317.jpg

IMG_20201215_125925_588.jpg

IMG_20201215_125920_754.jpg

An albino will probably have to be stabilized before it only produces albinos via spores, like with any other characteristic.

You can see the white spores (translucent, not invisible) in the shroomery post, I've seen a vendor sell averys albino as swab or syringe, not sure anymore but that mean for sure that the white gills produce spores and they also are viable.

I sterilized some swabs and will take swabs and try to print some of these caps to show you.

With GWM I also think we gotta put that into another category because if its true whats been said in the gwm thread then its not a natural mutation but damaged dna from a substance, so that can't be compared to a natural mutation.

FunG I still feel like I gotta explain the difference between leucism and albinism because you put AA+ into the same category as an albino.

A stable albino tho does not produce purple spores - thats a leucistic variety.

I hope to be able to change your mind.

Rocky best of luck for the cake!

• coorsmikey and FunG like this

#27 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 237 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 08:36 AM

Here the avery swabs

https://inoculatethe...cambodian-swab/

Here leucistic burma

https://inoculatethe...eucistic-burma/

The ones from my pictures are albino burma

#28 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 258 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2020 - 08:44 AM

Yea those are sweet looking! I’m no expert but I would class those as albino, wether they sporulate or not, they’re still insanely white lol.

I had a Nepal tub last year that popped out a few of those white gilled shrooms in the mix. Not off white like the gwm I posted. I’ll dig around my phone for a picture. I tried to print it but nothing at all came out, unlike the “sterile” gwm where just a little smudge of spores will come out if I leave it over 48hrs

#29 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 237 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 09:31 AM

I think thats increadibly stubborn and blind to just call them albino even though albinism and leucism are completely different mutations.

Its knowingly spreading misinformation which results in even more confusion out there.

Like I said, GWM if its really been created due to the chemical then its not a natural mutation and therefore cant be used as an argument in a discission about mutations.

The info is out there, its not just my opinion that I put into this thread, there are clear differences between albinism and leucism. Albinism means completely unable to produce any color, thats why there are spores but the spores are translucent.

Google leucism, it says partly colorless which is like the leucistic varieties with white or even mixed caps but sometimes yellowish stems and always dark spores.

I really don't understand why someone should purposely ignore the facts and willingly keep spreading something wrong.

I mean the rules of this community even say "no bad advice" and to back things up if necessary and to have a talk about the stuff.

I don't want to piss you off man, I just can't understand the ignorance

Edited by DickMoby, 15 December 2020 - 09:55 AM.

• rockyfungus likes this

#30 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 258 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2020 - 09:34 AM

Managed to find these, this was the most random tub I’ve ever seen and after this, everything started going to shit as far as my mutations/vert problem is. There was a few fully white shrooms in the mix, a lot of cool variations of caps tho, would have been nice if I was set up for agar work.

Attached Thumbnails

• 783FFC0A-4F28-4E6E-8BCF-E8CB23BF0299.jpeg
  • A3434B83-587A-44CF-A10A-71EFE5E6F95B.jpeg
  • 3E83BDF8-3D3A-4A80-B9AD-1118EB6DE266.jpeg

#31 FunG

FunG

"Trump 2021"

• Free Member
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 12:44 PM

Those are in fact some super white mushrooms moby.

I know what you mean about the difference in the color, aa+ produce much more cream colored caps then the gwm. And those avery albinos are truley white, no pigmentation.

I think the gwm are a genetic mutation that was stabalized more so then being caused by a chemical. But I can only speculate I know very little about gwm.

I dont know where I was when this albino boom hit.
  • Moby likes this

#32 Nicked

Nicked

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 277 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2020 - 04:52 PM

@coorsmikey a page I follow on the book has some great microscope photos of Albino spores. I'll find them and post them here to add to this great discussion.

I have a slight fascination with the leucistic and Albino varieties and have a few interesting ones on agar and grain at the moment. A few tubs of lovely Rusty Whyte are fruiting nicely at the moment. I'll snap some pics in the morning. Also currently have a TAT variant/mutant called Yeti on agar that I can't wait to fruit. Kinda like APE in a way. Others include Leucistic PE uncut, Leucistic Cambodian and Averys Albino. Just spawned some F Albino tubs today so in a few weeks I'll post some pics of them (first grow with those too..). Hopefully it doesn't go as bad as my ARX and PF Albino grows have gone and I'll get some mature fruits..
  • coorsmikey and rockyfungus like this

#33 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 237 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 05:03 PM

Those are in fact some super white mushrooms moby.

I know what you mean about the difference in the color, aa+ produce much more cream colored caps then the gwm. And those avery albinos are truley white, no pigmentation.

I think the gwm are a genetic mutation that was stabalized more so then being caused by a chemical. But I can only speculate I know very little about gwm.

I dont know where I was when this albino boom hit.

The final pic pre harvest, still very small fruits but luckily some normal caps

IMG_20201215_224752_204.jpg

Honestly I did read alot over the years and didn't see any albinos around, tho I never checked mycotopia, just recently got told to check topia out.

Last year then in a group of people I noticed that more and more people had different albino varieties and new crosses.

There is a huge community growing outside of the forums and these guys sell isolated cultures via facebook, instagram and reddit.

Its a huge inofficial business, these people put alot of time into isolating, crossing and stabilizing to then sell them on plastic petris.

From there come alot of the new ones.

IMG_20201215_224756_712.jpg

Hope at least a tiny amount of spores drops.

Gonna update once the other albinos fruit, not cased tho, the pinset will be unsatisfying

#34 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 465 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 06:26 PM

Yea keep seeing this enigma around. Seems to be Facebook only, which I avoid.

Huge group of people selling sterilized grains at horrible prices. Makes me want to sell wood/grain bags.

#35 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 258 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2020 - 08:11 PM

Like coorsmikey said, there’s gold ones, and there’s white ones, I doubt anyone who doesn’t cultivate mushrooms even knows what leucistic is, my phone doesn’t even recognize the word lol.

And like Happy Gilmore says, “Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a shit”.

#36 Nicked

Nicked

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 277 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2020 - 11:26 PM

Here's those photos I promised @coorsmikey.... 4febab66dd734b5e650c0768fef391bf.jpg2fe216923f115762037892b76386ec99.jpgda36338cd61ee48aadb921fbf35addaf.jpgf62cfd691a1133d4b1cb56ecd4424d8b.jpgb80e963feadf8034f4c5114b2c706440.jpgc8212cdfcb9655803890cb690774abef.jpg
  • coorsmikey, YoshiTrainer and Moby like this

#37 Nicked

Nicked

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 277 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2020 - 12:10 AM

And as promised here are a few pics of my rustywhyte tub
23e1a034d428d1931b60c890b9b22842.jpg452e6a88ef9373a58f2bd6987bc53a1e.jpg2477a8dbfe2b13a84c2cdd3519996cd1.jpg
  • coorsmikey, Skywatcher, FunG and 2 others like this

#38 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 237 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 09:37 AM

Yea keep seeing this enigma around. Seems to be Facebook only, which I avoid.

Huge group of people selling sterilized grains at horrible prices. Makes me want to sell wood/grain bags.

A mate just showed me a list of cultures from a single seller which was gigantic, many enigmas also come from there yea.

I quit FB and never used reddit or instagram, the climate on those groups is too toxic for my taste, has a negative effect on how I feel so I decided to only use a german entheo community and cheked topia out.

Alot of cool stuff in those groups tho!

Nicked that info is great with the spores.

Could explain why the thought of unviable transparent spores is out there.

I definately see white spores under some caps on the foil, based on the info from TAT Syndicate it might be necessary to only collect spores from caps that are over the normal point ripe.

Got caps of different stages on the foil, man I wish I had a microscope on hand right now.

Nice Rustys there!

I'm currently waiting for Rusty Whyte, TAT and albino cambo to fruit.

Looking forward to see the leucistic cambo, the TAT mutant and Falbino (and the rest)!

• Nicked and rockyfungus like this

#39 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,530 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2020 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for sharing that Nicked! Personally I am not convinced that the clear spores are viable or that they don't get darker with maturity. I do feel that there are a few darker spores though the may be lighter than normal, that get through to actually germinating for the next generation. I do believe that I could also get visuals on immature spores from a normal pigmented mushroom if Santa bring me a new microscope. That's just my belief and not looking to go back and forth on it, but would like to see some evidence that is convincing to myself. I also don't have an issue understanding that leucitic and albino mushrooms are different . I can clearly see the difference. I just have a hard time understanding how we base this what we perceive as colorless spores or that if an Abino produces a few colored spores that it can no longer be and albino. I suppose one easily find a few dark spores to debunk a true albino much easier than testing millions of clear spore for viability in this situation.

Edited by coorsmikey, 16 December 2020 - 09:46 AM.

• Nicked likes this

#40 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 465 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 09:52 AM

Here's some more leucisitic cubes.

I keep getting just a few fruits in each tupperware. Either need to try shoeboxes for my next spawn or just clone.

cap.JPG

blue/green bruise from hitting lid

gills.JPG

dark spores :tongue:

Edited by rockyfungus, 16 December 2020 - 09:52 AM.

• Moby likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!