70 replies to this topic

#61 HrVanker

HrVanker

Doll Licker

• Free Member
  • 610 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2022 - 06:56 PM

Well, my last two tubs are done. They fruited well, but I definitely could have gotten more from them. The problem was that I kept accidentally leaving the lid-tubs off for too long and drying out the pin sets. I was also getting a lot of condensation and dripping during colonization, which seemed to cause some overlay issues.

So this time around, I've mixed things up a bit. First, I added ½" polyfilled holes high up on the short ends of the lids and may end up adding some smaller holes lower on the long sides if needed. Then, I cut back the amount of water in my coir again. This time, I used 4qt of water to 1lb of dry coir. And finally, put the tubs right into fruiting instead of covering for colonization.

I also did some mild experimentation with the sub. It's mostly coir, but I also added some used bark chips and pumice pieces from repotting some orchids, as well as using about 8oz of a 2mo old batch of organic fertilizer I use in my little raised bed. It's all worm/bat/kelp based, and I boiled it with the water before hydrating/pasteurizing my coir.

So far, these tubs are looking great. They are about 5 days in and starting to knot up a bit. The far left is from what I've been calling my EQ isolate lineage (probably not a true isolate yet), the middle is the B+ that I started from some dried gills, and the far right is a clone from a mushroom with an interesting bell shaped cap.

The pic of all 3 was taken about 16hrs ago. And the individual pics should be in order from left to right.c471418771d6a22fa3edcf2d048ce545.jpgdaf5191d9cf69d9ca34eb631bbf53c15.jpg951be9e34263cb65d9de885afed27aee.jpgf7cbb74e941f4cd43c508bfacb0db810.jpg
  • Arathu and YoshiTrainer like this

#62 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,570 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2022 - 07:09 PM

Oh yeah they do look good.......sweet! I love it when rhizomes blast out and reach into the air....but even more so as they fall back and knot...

Nice work brother......

A

Edited by Arathu, 21 February 2022 - 07:10 PM.

• HrVanker likes this

#63 HrVanker

HrVanker

Doll Licker

• Free Member
  • 610 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2022 - 06:22 AM

I started harvesting the first flush off of the "bell capped" tub (far right in last post). Though I'm not so sure that this was the culture I thought it was... There was a chance that some things got mis-labeled, so I'll have to go back and figure out what this tub could be. I'll definitely take a clone to properly label; this is a pretty funky looking phenotype.

I'll start labeling better once I get some new prints.

Pic is after harvesting a large handful of similarly looking, more mature fruits.e25f6feb352e67bfda2b8c55c3313aad.jpg
  • Arathu, ElPirana, YoshiTrainer and 2 others like this

#64 HrVanker

HrVanker

Doll Licker

• Free Member
  • 610 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2022 - 02:26 PM

The other two tubs are coming along. They both appear to be putting out some rather large fruits, especially compared to the one I posted last night.

The tub in the middle is definitely moving slower and has some scaly looking stems. I did realize that perhaps it was too well insulated by the other two tubs, so I arranged some gaps between them.

Here's a pic of the large handful I took from the funky-fruits this morning. Then pics of the two other tubs.fa07227572ba21d2e76aae18027073f4.jpg1a4ff67d6d3750eb2e8a5dd2f9c0797e.jpgf0e7be69f7fee0c94a79008a5ea3b9ef.jpg
  • Arathu, bezevo, jkdeth and 4 others like this

#65 HrVanker

HrVanker

Doll Licker

• Free Member
  • 610 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2022 - 03:10 PM

Just spawned my first batch of Lion's Mane! Got some LC online, and shot up some quarts. Definitely a new experience compared to cubes.

I couldn't find bran anywhere convenient, so I just used some coir and oak pellets. I am also using gallon ziploc bags.... So we'll see how this goes. This culture seems to be pretty aggressive, so I suspect that it will tear through the sub.

Not sure how I'm going to fruit. I have a large tub that I use for my glove box, and a couple elevated cooking racks that I've used to incubate tempeh. Was thinking about covering the arm holes w/ cloth or stuffing with polyfill, since I hear that they need lots of FAE. Humidity is a concern, but IIRC, LM prefers less RH than cubes. Am I correct on that?

Any tips for spore printing/collection? I've seen where people prop the mushroom up w/ toothpicks and the like to collect on foil. But would it be better to just swab to a plate with a sterile swab?6051815c36b89f497a5d62fc487e9366.jpg

Edited by HrVanker, 01 April 2022 - 03:11 PM.

• Arathu and Oldpunk like this

#66 HrVanker

HrVanker

Doll Licker

• Free Member
  • 610 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 August 2022 - 03:15 PM

Forgot to update after the LM. They ended up contaminating after I spawned, not sure what happened there.

I had two quarts of cube spawn (labeled Blue Nips lol) in the cupboard for the last few months. Not entirely sure when I started them, but probably early June or late May. I finally got around to making up some sub: mostly coir, a heaping cup of loosely packed MiracleGrow vegetable soil (coir, manure, some woody buts), gypsum, and a dash of guano/castings fertilizer.

It was only 2-3qt of sub, so I boiled the water and organic fertilizer in an 8qt pot, while preheating the oven to 170F. After boiling for a few min, I added the coir/soil/gypsum mix and stirred as it hydrated. Once it looked well mixed, I put a lid on and put the pot in the oven. After about an hour, I turned off the oven. 8hrs later, I mixed up the cooled sub and spawned.

Usually I put a thin layer on top, but this time it was between ¼-½". Yesterday I started to see some myc poking through, and it looks like it's moving fast!3303b60ae06a34eef16fcf2cf283aab7.jpgaf0ed0ee6c384559c1139cf3d68dd164.jpg6e3d61579beacbdd5a6d8bbf3162b736.jpg6cef33bc3503eee35b1b181a85b42cea.jpg

Edited by HrVanker, 23 August 2022 - 03:20 PM.

• Arathu likes this

#67 HrVanker

HrVanker

Doll Licker

• Free Member
  • 610 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 August 2022 - 12:07 AM

We got some mushroom knots! And it looks like I can see at least one pin, whose cap is still white.8b7723cab49f85388c65111bf4a1ee94.jpg5160427af225918da037e682eb8f8d59.jpg
  • Arathu likes this

#68 HrVanker

HrVanker

Doll Licker

• Free Member
  • 610 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2022 - 01:42 PM

Well, my dehydrator died on me yesterday, after not using it in 3 or 4 months. After I turned it on the other day I noticed that the fan was sounding a little rough, but it was always a bit louder than I expected. Then yesterday the fan kept stopping. I took it apart 2×, and the motor felt nice and smooth, so I lubed up the axel it spins on, which improved the noise.

But after work the whole thing was dead. No lights coming on or anything. Luckily it was mostly done w/ the run, with just a couple slightly soft mostly dry shrooms. So I put them all in a container w/ a ton of desiccant pouches to pull the rest of the water out. New unit arriving tomorrow.

Edit: they don't look too nipple-y. Seemed like 2 or 3 substrains made it into the clone sample I took: some shorties I had seen before, some nipple-ish caps, and some med-sized dome/sauce shaped caps.
bd4a80841ee54438f44d1436285e493b.jpg13f1913527ebbfd9597a2d3acbc52ecc.jpg

Edited by HrVanker, 03 September 2022 - 01:44 PM.

• bezevo likes this

#69 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,420 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2022 - 04:56 PM

WOW ! bummer about your dehydrator , i have a very generic heated dehydrator i got on e-bay like 20 yrs ago with half dozen extra trays .  for  about $50 .. i also had two of those RONCO Egg shaped dehydrators that came with no heater just fan , i bought them both at thrift stores for $5 or $ 10 apiece but my EX- swiped them about 15 yrs ago .....man I'm old and CHEAP  eeeerrr i meant THRIFTY  ..but the Thrifty Chinese heated dehydrator still works great ..  i  dry  mushrooms over night in dehydrator then finish them in a tightly sealed generic tupa-ware type container with a bunch desiccant .

NOW  ! TIP ! of The DAY !  ...................JUST THE TIP !

instead of buying expensive  desiccant silica crystals . i go to Pet Isle at Evil Wal-Mart and buy a bag of there SENT FREE Krystal Kitty  litter ........... same stuff ..only  $4 for 4lb bag .  .THRIFTY .

BLah BLah enough of my opinions ha

BEZ

• HrVanker likes this

#70 HrVanker

HrVanker

Doll Licker

• Free Member
  • 610 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2022 - 12:07 PM

WOW ! bummer about your dehydrator , i have a very generic heated dehydrator i got on e-bay like 20 yrs ago with half dozen extra trays . for about $50 .. i also had two of those RONCO Egg shaped dehydrators that came with no heater just fan , i bought them both at thrift stores for $5 or $ 10 apiece but my EX- swiped them about 15 yrs ago .....man I'm old and CHEAP eeeerrr i meant THRIFTY ..but the Thrifty Chinese heated dehydrator still works great .. i dry mushrooms over night in dehydrator then finish them in a tightly sealed generic tupa-ware type container with a bunch desiccant .

NOW ! TIP ! of The DAY ! ...................JUST THE TIP !

instead of buying expensive desiccant silica crystals . i go to Pet Isle at Evil Wal-Mart and buy a bag of there SENT FREE Krystal Kitty litter ........... same stuff ..only $4 for 4lb bag . .THRIFTY .

BLah BLah enough of my opinions ha

BEZ

I'm hoping this next dehydrator lasts longer (gotta beat 1.5yrs), and that the other one is just defective. I did buy the same make/model to check, plus I can re-use the trays. I've seen the same brand's more expensive versions used hard in professional settings w/ no issues.

Usually I fully dry mine in the dehydrator. I can get an entire stack done in about 8hrs. I use the dessicant (and O2 absorbers) w/ my vacuum sealer. But I do have a bunch of silica litter and a bunch of color changing silica beads (!) just in case.

Edited by HrVanker, 04 September 2022 - 12:36 PM.

#71 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,236 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2022 - 02:23 PM

There has been some talk about the color changing beads toxicity.  The blue ones are colored with cobalt IIRC.  Though it shouldn't be a problem if they are not coming into direct contact with what you're drying.  Just food for thought.

I know they are expensive, but I've never had any regrets with the Excalibur dehydrator that I purchased several years back.  Though to be fair, I use it more for stuff out of the garden then I do for stuff out of my closet.  It's likely a bit overkill if all you're going ever dry is mushrooms, unless you're going BIG that is :)

• HrVanker likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!