• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Sharonlovesu2

Sharonlovesu2

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 09:24 PM

Has anyone made any mushroom grow bags? Im using a space saver vacuum bag, I put grains and experimental items in it and was able to secure it added it to an oven bad zip tied it secure and pressurized it lmao why? I can't answer it myself. I dont know what to expect from this one
Does have micropre tape with a filter merve 12 rating. And the vacume part could be kool as a port for injection..
95e6bd0dca865f85953e768d9ac4c5e0.jpg0e50a5ff53dec3b0bd1551b61e7b74d4.jpg1d4a4e15fe5eefcad0703aa30b1866c1.jpgae1c8af7ee6f6916dcdb09869013d876.jpgf48d099142515174d2219292ddc5f094.jpg7483b99df8b6221f5802801407bf057e.jpgfd73a53150a2f21ffe38c1d45c4b71d2.jpg83ded85706fad8a11c6a980dc0151a86.jpg147e562fb2f61115983c93cb84526d78.jpg

#2 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,969 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2020 - 10:45 AM

Has anyone made any mushroom grow bags? Im using a space saver vacuum bag, I put grains and experimental items in it and was able to secure it added it to an oven bad zip tied it secure and pressurized it lmao why? I can't answer it myself. I dont know what to expect from this one

Based on the information provided, I have no idea what to expect either, but IMO mushrooms would be pretty low on the list of possibilities.

Edited by TVCasualty, 16 December 2020 - 10:45 AM.

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,481 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2020 - 11:43 AM

I'm confused... If you vacuum sealed it and that is what you mean by "pressurized", you are not going to see anything happen... You did say you put a filter on it so I am confused how it could be "pressurized"...

If there is no air, there will be no growth, mushroom mycelium is aerobic and requires oxygen... I may have completely misunderstood what you are saying though... If by "pressurized", you mean pressure cooked, then you may have growth as long as you have your moisture content right...

#4 Sharonlovesu2

Sharonlovesu2

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 12:41 PM

Im sorry, im probably not being clear. I didn't vacuum seal the bag but should have. lol Dee de dee ( we live and learn) I did pasteurize in the p.c. than filled the grain into my diy bag also the air filter before the pressure sterilization. I wasn't certain of the bag growing larger the the small p.c I have( newbie walking here) so I felt the zip ties were a precaution (no go kaboom) but I do think I may have overcooked. Or did to many steps lol.. Can you over-pasteurize?cc50c1a1ced714791cf039cbd61403ee.jpg

#5 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 681 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 05:15 PM

Have you grown mushrooms in the normal recommended way?

• Sharonlovesu2 likes this

#6 Sharonlovesu2

Sharonlovesu2

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 07:10 AM

Have you grown mushrooms in the normal recommended way?

the Normal recomendable way? Normal to your perception, mine, or "them/society" ???
I think its all the same.
Im welcome and open to any input or suggestions you may have..
199d0cdbd2165edaaa567cc730eb41f5.jpg

#7 Sharonlovesu2

Sharonlovesu2

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 08:03 AM

I noticed I didn't respond to your question.. No I haven't. Im working on changing that. Im totally hands on learning. Trial and error is how I learn, everything is basically theory to me. I just did inoculations to my agar wich was accidentally 2 teks pot. dex. agar and oatmeal agar. I was gonna do it right, but than I got high and mixed it up somewhere.lol

#8 Sharonlovesu2

Sharonlovesu2

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 08:15 AM

I dont see any growth or new moisture so we'll see..

Attached Thumbnails

• 20205316095333.jpg
  • 20205416095425.jpg

Edited by Sharonlovesu2, 17 December 2020 - 08:26 AM.

#9 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,481 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2020 - 10:13 AM

I think the reason Rocky asked that question is that it is common for beginners to experiment with things when people who came before them have already figured out that it won't work... People will join the site and have a few failures trying to do it their own way before finally trying one of the tried and true teks and getting results... 

Have you seen Sidestreet's "Mushrooms For The Masses?" if you look him up, you should be able to find it. A link is posted below every post he makes. It lays out a tek that is really good for people who are starting out and want to get results while learning and understanding the process. It is essentially a collection of steps for the PFtek, straight forward with easily acquired raw materials.

The reason I had asked if you vacuum sealed your current project is because it would not have worked if you did. Mycelium needs O2 to grow, it will die without... If you had vacuum sealed it, you would not have seen results... If you have them wrapped up like in some of the photos, you may experience similar results. There needs to be air in the bag at the very least and depending on the ratio of air to spawn, in most cases, you have to have the filter exposed in a way that will allow for gas exchange to expel gasses created during the metabolic process while allowing fresh, un metabolized O2 to replace it in the bag... The metabolic process creates some heat so if the filter is exposed, the air flow created by the temperature difference should allow gases  to move in and out of the bag.

People just starting out almost always suffer a few failures prior to getting the knack... I would try to limit those failures and follow one of the tested teks. Once you have a few successes under your belt and a better understanding of how it works, I would then start to experiment as much as your heart desires!! It is sometimes painful to watch someone experiment when you know exactly what will result after having done this for a while... Experimentation for experimentation sake is unproductive... Targeted experimentation with at least a general idea of what you should expect can lead to breakthroughs and EUREKA moments!!

I hope you don't take this post as critical... I in no way am attempting to put you down. I would just like to see you have successes and it is really common to have someone join and insist on trying things their way despite more experienced members letting them know that it has been tried and won't work or that there are underlying principals that they don't yet understand that makes what they are trying a nonstarter... 

GOOD LUCK!!   :biggrin:  :cool:

• rockyfungus likes this

#10 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 681 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 11:05 AM

Everything PJ said 100%. I recently tried to get my brother started with the hobby, I gave him time tested teks. He decided to experiment because he knew better.

Well 3 syringes later he has nothing to show and I'm on my 10th flush...With the same genetics.

If you are not in a rush to have mushrooms, then experiment away. For me and my brother though, we need our medicine and in the quickest and safest fashion possible.

Now that I have a huge bag of gourmet and medicinal. I do shit all the time that most likely will fail, but what do I have to lose at this point.

Experimentation is what makes the world go round, but you need the basics to know what you can get away with or where to push the boundaries.

• jrh and Auhron like this

#11 Sharonlovesu2

Sharonlovesu2

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 02:46 PM

I think the reason Rocky asked that question is that it is common for beginners to experiment with things when people who came before them have already figured out that it won't work... People will join the site and have a few failures trying to do it their own way before finally trying one of the tried and true teks and getting results...

Have you seen Sidestreet's "Mushrooms For The Masses?" if you look him up, you should be able to find it. A link is posted below every post he makes. It lays out a tek that is really good for people who are starting out and want to get results while learning and understanding the process. It is essentially a collection of steps for the PFtek, straight forward with easily acquired raw materials.

The reason I had asked if you vacuum sealed your current project is because it would not have worked if you did. Mycelium needs O2 to grow, it will die without... If you had vacuum sealed it, you would not have seen results... If you have them wrapped up like in some of the photos, you may experience similar results. There needs to be air in the bag at the very least and depending on the ratio of air to spawn, in most cases, you have to have the filter exposed in a way that will allow for gas exchange to expel gasses created during the metabolic process while allowing fresh, un metabolized O2 to replace it in the bag... The metabolic process creates some heat so if the filter is exposed, the air flow created by the temperature difference should allow gases to move in and out of the bag.

People just starting out almost always suffer a few failures prior to getting the knack... I would try to limit those failures and follow one of the tested teks. Once you have a few successes under your belt and a better understanding of how it works, I would then start to experiment as much as your heart desires!! It is sometimes painful to watch someone experiment when you know exactly what will result after having done this for a while... Experimentation for experimentation sake is unproductive... Targeted experimentation with at least a general idea of what you should expect can lead to breakthroughs and EUREKA moments!!

I hope you don't take this post as critical... I in no way am attempting to put you down. I would just like to see you have successes and it is really common to have someone join and insist on trying things their way despite more experienced members letting them know that it has been tried and won't work or that there are underlying principals that they don't yet understand that makes what they are trying a nonstarter...

GOOD LUCK!! :cool:

thanknyounp.j I do appreciate the feedback and do value your opinion sorry if I was defensive about it lmbo I reread my messages and thought sheesh what a turd I sound like . Thank you for the advice I will work on sharpening my basics first Invan be very scattered at times. Muchos gracias
  • PJammer24 likes this

#12 Sharonlovesu2

Sharonlovesu2

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 02:48 PM

Everything PJ said 100%. I recently tried to get my brother started with the hobby, I gave him time tested teks. He decided to experiment because he knew better.

Well 3 syringes later he has nothing to show and I'm on my 10th flush...With the same genetics.

If you are not in a rush to have mushrooms, then experiment away. For me and my brother though, we need our medicine and in the quickest and safest fashion possible.

Now that I have a huge bag of gourmet and medicinal. I do shit all the time that most likely will fail, but what do I have to lose at this point.

Experimentation is what makes the world go round, but you need the basics to know what you can get away with or where to push the boundaries.

Hi Rocky.. thank you for your inputas well I do appreciate the unity of this forum. Such loving people, if only the entire world wouldn't microdose.. wow imagine how different it would be. Thank you fellas for the support.
You rock!!!

#13 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,969 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 December 2020 - 11:14 AM

"Magic for the Masses" is pinned near the top of the list in the Here We Grow subforum: https://mycotopia.ne...for-the-masses/

Be careful handling/disposing of anything you've made if it starts to appear (or smell) contaminated. Do not expose yourself to it.

Most contamination is not a concern but some kinds (especially certain molds) can fuck you right up, and releasing even benign mold spores indoors risks contaminating future grows (a common problem with trich).

• Sharonlovesu2 likes this

#14 Sharonlovesu2

Sharonlovesu2

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 09:25 PM

"Magic for the Masses" is pinned near the top of the list in the Here We Grow subforum: https://mycotopia.ne...for-the-masses/

Be careful handling/disposing of anything you've made if it starts to appear (or smell) contaminated. Do not expose yourself to it.

Most contamination is not a concern but some kinds (especially certain molds) can fuck you right up, and releasing even benign mold spores indoors risks contaminating future grows (a common problem with trich).

Absolutely thank you for the considerate info. I was gonna ask the thread if anyone knows of such incidents of accidental poisoning from listeria or botulism , or similar from mishandling? What to watch for or if there's a trick to test for efficiency. The last thing I'd like is to fry whats left of my brain permanently
  • TVCasualty likes this

#15 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,969 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2020 - 06:13 PM

Absolutely thank you for the considerate info. I was gonna ask the thread if anyone knows of such incidents of accidental poisoning from listeria or botulism , or similar from mishandling? What to watch for or if there's a trick to test for efficiency. The last thing I'd like is to fry whats left of my brain permanently

The primary risk appears to be lung infections, which can be serious. One longtime member here (onediadem) has a pretty horrifying story to tell about what can go wrong if we don't treat contamination as hazardous. I couldn't find the posts I was thinking about as they are a few years old but these summarize it well:

As cheap as materials are, it is not worth it to try and save anything. I got sick by not being careful and was bed bound for three months. I had to crawl to the bathroom because I was too weak to walk. My lungs were damaged. So yeah, DO NOT MESS AROUND WITH MOLDS!

Yes, from myco work. It took numerous rounds of antibiotics and my lungs are now fucked. Smoking doesn't help lol.

The absolute worst-case scenario (as far as I know) would be to get Mucormycosis, which is caused by various species of molds (including the very common Black Pin Mold often found on moldy bread). If your sinus cavity gets infected it will eat your face off, literally (there are youtube videos that you can look up like "fungus eats man's face" and "his face was deformed by flesh-eating fungus" but you might regret it).

#16 Sharonlovesu2

Sharonlovesu2

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 12:28 PM

I was thinking about this conversation and thought I was best to ditch it lol although it looked clear and sterile still ,im not chansing the health of me and household. I do appreciate the information from everyone here.

#17 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,969 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2021 - 12:42 PM

FWIW, when I use whole grain to spawn to bulk it generally only spends about a week in the bag (at the most).

At that point it's either colonized and it's time to use it or else it's contaminated and time to dispose of it. And if it's not colonized after all this time (it wasn't clear in this thread if you are still incubating the bags you posted photos of back in December), but also doesn't appear contaminated then treat it like it was contaminated anyway since it's not worth trying to resurrect them.

#18 Sharonlovesu2

Sharonlovesu2

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 03:49 PM

Thank you t.v I appreciate and value your input.. yes I didn't follow up with that Im sorry, I definitely need to work on that also Thank you for added information; Is that the same with mycelium samples?

Edited by Sharonlovesu2, 14 February 2021 - 04:08 PM.

#19 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,969 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2021 - 11:28 AM

What do you mean by "mycelium samples?"

#20 Sharonlovesu2

Sharonlovesu2

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 05:09 PM

Im sorry t.v and thank you for your patience as im certain im expressing myself wrong (as usual) on agar a mss than to T1 how long can I store those kind of samples?
Th

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!