11 replies to this topic

#1 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,399 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2020 - 01:28 PM

According to The Daily Beast, outgoing United States President Donald Trump is considering granting clemency to Ross Ulbricht - the founder and operator of the pioneering darknet market, Silk Road.
Ulbricht was arrested in 2013 and received two life sentences without parole for non-violent offenses in 2015.
The anonymous sources relied on in the report claim that the White House counsel’s office has been reviewing documents related to Ulbricht’s case, and that the president has been made aware of the situation.
Two sources claim that Trump has privately expressed sympathy for Ulbricht and has considered his name for the next round of pardons.
Speaking to the publication, Ulbricht’s mother Lyn expressed admiration for Trump’s criminal justice reform policies, adding:

Quote:“We’re praying and remain hopeful that he will show mercy on Ross, as he has others, and commute his sentence to time served and give my son a second chance at life.”

Jo Jorgensen, the 2020 candidate for the Libertarian Party, campaigned for the pardoning of Ulbricht, in addition to whistleblowers Edward Snowden and Chelsea Manning.
Trump has a little over a month to grant the pardon, with President-elect Joe Biden being sworn into office on Jan. 20.

This might be the only decent thing DJT does for the war on drugs. Maybe a letter or email is in order?

• Myc, coorsmikey, Boebs and 3 others like this

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,556 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2020 - 05:01 PM

Ross deserves a pardon.   I really hope he gets it, but I'm not holding my breath until he does.

#3 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,911 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 December 2020 - 11:49 PM

I hope the president does.

That way I will be able to say one good thing about him.

• Juthro likes this

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,556 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2020 - 03:04 AM

^^^^ what he said ^^^^

I would gladly swallow my pride enough to give a sincere thank you if the president were to do this.  While he's at it, a pardon for Edward Snowden would be nice as well.

• roscoe and ElPirana like this

#5 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

I Put That Shit On Everything!

• VIP
  • 795 posts

Donator

Posted 20 December 2020 - 09:57 AM

Two sources claim that Trump has privately expressed sympathy for Ulbricht....

Wait, trump expressed sympathy?
I call bullshit. That bastard only knows how to whine like a spoiled brat.
I hope I'm wrong and the dude does get pardoned but I don't see it happening.

#6 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,640 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2020 - 10:23 AM

T**** floating a pardon of Ulricht is probably just to see who the idea pisses off, and if it pisses off the right people then T**** will pardon him since pissing people off seems to be one of the primary motivators of his recent post-loss behavior. Like any self-serving Narcissist, T**** is incapable of manifesting human emotions such as empathy or compassion.

The one Pardon that is arguably the most justified but also the least likely to actually happen under T**** would be for Reality Winner.

She is only in prison thanks to the infuriating incompetence of the reporters at The Intercept (founded by Glen Greenwald and funded by the guy who founded eBay after Greenwald published the Snowden docs).

• roscoe, Juthro and ElPirana like this

#7 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 05:54 PM

WOW!  Too bad Obama didn't pardon Aaron Swartz (an even more sympathetic case than Ulricht's case).  I've heard rumors about him (Trump) pardoning Snowden and or Assange.  I'm not a fan of Trump but anyone who thinks Biden is any better for the majority of Americans is likely misguided--I've been following his appointment proposals and they are just as bad as trump's--almost all are millionaire bankers, war hawks, and political grifters.  Sad.  :( 

Edited by ilikethings, 21 December 2020 - 05:56 PM.

• Coopdog likes this

#8 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,640 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2020 - 07:55 AM

T**** floating a pardon of Ulricht is probably just to see who the idea pisses off, and if it pisses off the right people then T**** will pardon him since pissing people off seems to be one of the primary motivators of his recent post-loss behavior. Like any self-serving Narcissist, T**** is incapable of manifesting human emotions such as empathy or compassion.

I think T****'s pardon of the mass murderers from Blackwater makes that interpretation impossible to deny at this point (you know... those private, unvetted, unaccountable mercenary assholes that the government has taken a liking to using for their dirty work and who were convicted of slaughtered 14 Iraqi civilians, including two children). They call themselves something else now, but they'll always be "blackwater" in what passes for their hearts.

Ulricht might not be problematic/controversial enough to get a pardon from President Joker. Too many people actually like and support Ulricht vs. those fucking animals that just got away with mass murder.

Too bad Ulricht didn't kill any children (or a dozen adults, give or take). If he had then he could've been going home a free man today.

• Juthro likes this

#9 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,399 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2020 - 11:00 AM

you think there aren't large numbers of Blackwater worshippers????????????????????????

let's keep in mind that Blackwater wasn't doing one damned thing different than the "legitimate" military was, they just had/have immunity

Ulricht didn't kill anybody that we know of. Granted, some of what got done on the website was far from legal, but not nearly as criminal as what the gummit did to several countries in recent memory.

Might makes right these days.

Not sure Trump is capable of discerning that there's tons of stuff he could do before he vacates the office that would set him apart from most of his predecessors. The more I see of him the more I think he's part of the same old problem and not the solution - and never was to be.

#10 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,640 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2020 - 01:44 PM

you think there aren't large numbers of Blackwater worshippers????????????????????????

let's keep in mind that Blackwater wasn't doing one damned thing different than the "legitimate" military was, they just had/have immunity

Ulricht didn't kill anybody that we know of. Granted, some of what got done on the website was far from legal, but not nearly as criminal as what the gummit did to several countries in recent memory.

Might makes right these days.

Not sure Trump is capable of discerning that there's tons of stuff he could do before he vacates the office that would set him apart from most of his predecessors. The more I see of him the more I think he's part of the same old problem and not the solution - and never was to be.

Sure, there are tons of meatheaded troglodytes who love their fellow meatheaded troglodytes. I was talking about the domesticated primates who are fully human, which means they also possess at least SOME empathy for other members of their own species. I don't know any actual humans who would support pardoning convicted mass-murderering war criminals, but there are a lot of apes walking around these days who aren't necessarily fully human.

While that might sound insanely judgmental and arrogant (and literally dehumanizing), I'm talking about actual sociopaths who thinks of other people the same way a 13-year old juvenile delinquent thinks of his sister's Barbie dolls, namely as some *thing* to mess with, manipulate, or destroy for shits 'n' giggles (or for money and power if they happen to be high-functioning sociopaths). In their mind we (meaning everyone else) are already seen as mere objects, which is as dehumanizing as it gets.

There will probably be genetic tests and fMRI scans for detecting this developed soon, and that might be good for politics. IMO no one who lacks the pro-social variant of the oxytocin receptor gene or shows evidence of white-matter connectivity issues should be allowed to hold any political office since people should not be led by anyone who doesn't give a damn about anyone but themselves. If nothing else it would be a nice change of pace from the past 12,000 years (more or less).

Maybe in Iraq, but they sure did some fucked up shit right here in the U.S.. Anyone who went through the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina knows what I'm talking about. IMO they are the kind of group that's most likely to become the contemporary version of the Schutzstaffel (which means "Protective Echelon") should things go that way again. All Shitwater thugs do is "protect" stuff, too; what could possibly go wrong?

I hear that the running joke around the White House is that everyone has become incredibly polite lately. All you hear is "Pardon me, sir!" "Oh no, pardon ME!" "Excuse me, please pardon me too!" etc...

• roscoe and Juthro like this

#11 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,556 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2020 - 02:00 PM

You don't have to look that hard to see trump has already done plenty to set himself apart from his predecessors.   I'm not trying to pick at you Pharmer, but I see some irony in your statement.  I've received a lot of flack over the last 4 years (some from you) for pointing out what you now describe like you've had some kind of revelation.

Been saying it for years, trump power comes from chaos, and causing division.  So I hope that now that he is moving out, we all can get over that partisan divide.

Peace 

• roscoe likes this

#12 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 09:23 PM

Hey guys!  I'm not a "partisan person."  But I am very knowledgeable about how D.C. works.  I [censured to prevent doxing myself].  So while I never voted for Trump or Biden, I was sad to see that Biden won--bc he is a loser who has been in power for 50+ years and done nothing for the common person  (he is afterall known as the congressman/senator from MBNA (the world's largest credit card company--now a subsidiary of Bank of America).  I know what we will get from Biden for the next 4 years.  Another 4 "lost years" to the status quo--bankers running america--reminds me of grade school and student government--the people elected were popular but in no way "christ-like."  Trump also disappointed me...but his unpredictible style at least gave me hope for some fun/reforms/anti-war policies.  Happy New Year all!

Edited by ilikethings, 31 December 2020 - 10:19 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!