23 replies to this topic

#1 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

I Put That Shit On Everything!

• VIP
  • 665 posts

Donator

Posted 16 December 2020 - 05:59 PM

I felt adventurous and decided to do 2 lbs of the same spawn in each tub.
I know some of y'all might cringe at this, but it's just spawn and verm.
This is three days of growth after the transfer (see pics). The genetic profile of these are pretty aggressive to say the least.
It's been a long time since I've messed around with any tubs, so I figured why the heck not.
The dub tub is a rather simple setup as you can see held together with a bit of shitty duct tape on the corners.
There is a very thin opening in some areas where the tubs meet.
IMG_20201216_172626.jpg
IMG_20201216_172825.jpg

The mono tub is rather basic. I'm hoping the holes aren't too big. The holes are 1 1/4 inch. The poly is pack in the bottom four hopefully proper and tight enough. The top two polyfil are pacted in looser. So far everything seems thumbs up.
IMG_20201216_172635.jpg

Here they both are together hopefully they are happy
IMG_20201216_172656.jpg

As always comments and advice are always welcome.

• ElPirana, Choices and rockyfungus like this

#2 FunG

FunG

"Trump 2021"

• Free Member
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 06:08 PM

I'd use a strip of micropore tape to seal the tubs where they meet on the dubtub.
  • Choices likes this

#3 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 711 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 01:11 PM

I use these things. Work well exp if you have to open for inspection or to mist n fan.

2027cc9fb2936db406e091f4d8d15a71.jpg
  • Baphom3t likes this

#4 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

• VIP
  • 665 posts

Donator

Posted 17 December 2020 - 01:56 PM

@Choices, crazy you mention that. I put a couple of those on there this morning.

• Choices likes this

#5 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

• VIP
  • 665 posts

Donator

Posted 26 December 2020 - 10:22 AM

Quick update.
Both tubs look fine outside of the insane mycelial growth.
Mono tub has got some nice fruit growing. I'm still a bit unsure if I got the mono tub dialed in, but all seems well with it. If I had the room to do a tissue transfer there would be a couple of candidates.
1.jpg

Dub tub is doing fine but there are some mutations. What caused them I can not pinpoint, but none the less they are fruiting. I'm leaning towards not enough FAE but I could wrong. I give both tubs FAE 3 times a day.
2.jpg

Overall I am fairly happy with the progress thus far. Now the question is which tub will produce the most. I am looking forward to finding out. I have a couple of other non modified tubs in the works as well. I have thought about making a contest for the members on which one of these tubs will produce the most and whoever gets the closest would get a couple of prints.

Edited by Baphom3t, 26 December 2020 - 10:23 AM.

• Coopdog and YoshiTrainer like this

#6 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

• VIP
  • 665 posts

Donator

Posted 27 December 2020 - 02:25 PM

24 hours later. Mono is looking pretty nice. No aborts as of yet. Pinset is not all that bad for a MS grow. I'll get some prints as I see the right candidates. These genetics should be continued.
2.jpg

Yesterday, I saw mutations in my dub tub, but as of today newer growth looks and seems to be as they should, and no aborts as of yet, so I can't say what the issue is/was but it looks to have corrected itself. I will keep my eyes on it to try and pinpoint why I had the mutations, but I'm starting to lean towards genetics.
The pinset in the dub tub looks really good for being MS as well.
1.1.jpg

Interesting that the dub tub does not have a level casing layer. It has slight peaks and valleys which is in contrast with the mono tub which was leveled as evenly as I could do. The dub tub pinset looks more uniform and overall better compared to the mono tub. I'm wondering if a level casing layer is not exactly what they like, but I could be wrong.

Edited by Baphom3t, 27 December 2020 - 02:32 PM.

#7 FunG

FunG

"Trump 2021"

• Free Member
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 03:19 PM

What kind of spawn did you use and to what bulk substrate material?

#8 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

• VIP
  • 665 posts

Donator

Posted 27 December 2020 - 04:10 PM

What kind of spawn did you use and to what bulk substrate material?

Rye berries cased with 100% verm in both tubs. 2lbs rye spawn in each tub, same cube variant in each tub. The dub is the only one that has shown signs of mutation, but the pinset looks better than the mono by far IMO. It seems like this cube variant likes peaks and valleys more than a more level casing.

• FunG likes this

#9 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

• VIP
  • 665 posts

Donator

Posted 29 December 2020 - 01:18 PM

Pulled around 85 grams yesterday morning from ones that were ready in the mono tub. Patched the areas. Today looks like more are ready. I was gonna snag them sometime today.
fofful.jpg

What's a good way to rehydrate the sub for a possible second and third flush? I have seen where there was a way to siphon the water out. I believe it was somewhere here in the forums I saw it but I can't remember.

• ElPirana and YoshiTrainer like this

#10 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,478 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2020 - 07:04 PM

I'd use a strip of micropore tape to seal the tubs where they meet on the dubtub.

Considering it is just verm and colonized spawn... I would not worry about micropore tape unless you feel that it is drying out. There is nothing nutritious in there to contaminate. 

• Baphom3t likes this

#11 FunG

FunG

"Trump 2021"

• Free Member
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 12:26 PM

Mold "if" in a high enough concentration will contaminate healthy spawn or substrates. It's best to limit exposure to unfiltered air as much as possible even after full colonization.

Eventually it's going to trich out no matter what however.

#12 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

• VIP
  • 665 posts

Donator

Posted 30 December 2020 - 01:21 PM

Mold "if" in a high enough concentration will contaminate healthy spawn or substrates. It's best to limit exposure to unfiltered air as much as possible even after full colonization.

Eventually it's going to trich out no matter what however.

Hence the non-nutritive casing for this grow and non-nutritive patching after each pull of the same tub.
2 days ago I pulled 85 grams as the first ones matured. I patched those areas. I thought I was gonna do another pull yesterday, but a silent little voice said wait another day. Today I pulled 175 grams. I think patching areas of harvest assists in the retention of the microclimate needed to recover from each pull, but I can't say I know much. Keeping an open substrate after a pull invites contam faster simply because the grain is exposed to the elements of the environment, therefore, patch as or right after harvest.
I know there are folks that cut their flushes with knifes or scalpels, but that tends to make me a bit nervous with contams since I have very limited space and those are open wounds.
I've never seen the fruiting process as a sterile environment type thing compared to colonization.
The trick I am facing now is re-hydrating the tub after a couple good pulls. There is still much healthy life in the tub, but I do think a good hydration is needed.
Every time I fruit and harvest in bags I always sprinkle a bit of casing to the wound, and a few have lasted for 3 months without contam. As of right now my success to contam ratio is pretty nice. I have had almost no contams in over 2 years doing it the way I do it.

Edited by Baphom3t, 30 December 2020 - 01:33 PM.

#13 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,478 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 December 2020 - 01:48 PM

If your spawn is fully colonized, it is VERY resistant to contamination. The trich spores can't get to the nutrient source (grain) if it is fully colonized. If you are mixing it with only verm, there is nothing exposed for it to contaminate. It is always a race but unless you have an ungodly high spore count in the room, even semi-nutritious substrates that are properly pasteurized will rarely contaminate if you have healthy spawn in high enough ratios...

If you are having trouble with substrates contaminating, use a higher spawn ratio and it will colonize prior to the trich having an opportunity to get a foothold.... Healthy spawn is rarely the reason a project contaminates. It is the inability for the spawn to fully colonize prior to contamination of the substrate. If your substrate does not provide a nutrient source, the chance of contamination is low.

As Baphom says above, the fruiting process is not sterile. Everything gets exposed to what ever is in the air when you are mixing your substrate with your spawn.

The reason every project will eventually contaminate is because eventually the mycelium weakens due to there being fewer nutrients available for it to remain healthy and due to the PH gradually becoming more acidic due to the natural process of the nutrient source breaking down. This is why we add PH buffers to keep the PH neutral as long as possible thus pushing back the point when the substrate is likely to contam

Edited by PJammer24, 30 December 2020 - 01:50 PM.

• Baphom3t, Vikings333 and Stencill86 like this

#14 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

• VIP
  • 665 posts

Donator

Posted 31 December 2020 - 09:37 PM

Today I saw this.
loveisintheair.jpg
I have grown since 2003 and have never seen a heart shape like in this picture.
This was from my first flush in my dub tub.
I am literally moved.

• Sidestreet, FunG, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#15 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 204 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2020 - 10:23 PM

The Mushrooms are sharing the love!

• Baphom3t likes this

#16 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

• VIP
  • 665 posts

Donator

Posted 05 January 2021 - 05:15 PM

Second flush dub tub, mutations are not present as they were in the first flush.
No changes to the environment, FAE still same, mist as needed. Results seen from the first flush may have been genetic or a mistake in the process of cleaning the tubs. I.E, not getting all the soap rinsed out, or still remnants of alcohol from disinfecting before transfer to the dub tub. Be it as it may, for two pounds of grain cased with verm I am satisfied with the way the dub tub is going.
IMG_20210105_160047.jpg

Mono tub second flush.
IMG_20210105_160109.jpg
Two pounds of rye cased with verm. No mutations within this tub although it is from the same MS inoculant. Myc is healthy. Fruits look nice and happy.

I'm trying to figure if the source of mutation is from anything I have done during cleaning the tubs. I have a tub of LK that is from the same batch as from an earlier thread and there was no mutations, but this is with a brand new tub that I washed. Either way, I am happy with the outcome so far.

Edited by Baphom3t, 05 January 2021 - 11:46 PM.

#17 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 371 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 10:42 AM

what do you use for your casing patching? I just had a first flush in 2 mono tubs and bigger holes than id like.

#18 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

• VIP
  • 665 posts

Donator

Posted 06 January 2021 - 11:24 AM

@Viking333, I use 100% verm at field capacity for casing and patching. Some say verm doesn't need to be pasteurized, but I do it anyway as an added precaution.

• Vikings333 likes this

#19 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 371 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 12:36 PM

@Viking333, I use 100% verm at field capacity for casing and patching. Some say verm doesn't need to be pasteurized, but I do it anyway as an added precaution.

Do you keep a jar or something of it pasteurized to have on hand for patching?

• Baphom3t likes this

#20 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

• VIP
  • 665 posts

Donator

Posted 07 January 2021 - 04:15 PM

Do you keep a jar or something of it pasteurized to have on hand for patching?

@Vikings333, Yes. Beings verm is a non nutritive casing I keep a little extra handy for when I need to use it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Second flush MonoTub, Maza variety MS, 2lb rye cased with verm. Looks like I got a few to grab up. :thumbs_up2:
2.jpg

DubTub second flush progress, not ready. Maza variety MS, 2lb rye cased with verm
1.jpg

Both from the same inoculant but show different growth patterns. No mutations in the mono tub on any flushes so far. Mutations in the dubtub have ceased from the first flush which kind of leaves me scratching my head as to the mutations. I have another tub of LK in its first flush that shows a few mutations. Not sure what could be causing the mutations. The mutations cleared up on the dubtub second flush progress. I'm not sweatin' the mutations but wonder if it is something in my tek that could be off. I do not use lysol. I use 70% Iso, soap, and hot water.

• Kronos, FunG and YoshiTrainer like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!