• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 246 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 05:26 PM

Well, my Auck plates aren't looking that great thus far-- growth looks funky--maybe bacterial-- I'm going to let it keep going for awhile to see if I can find something to transfer and clean it up. If I don't like the look by the weekend I'll start some new plates from a different part of the print.

My Zap plates are both still empty-- I can't detect any growth at all. Stay tuned--

#22 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 818 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2021 - 07:31 PM

coAsTaL, the prints were wild collected and produced a slimey blob as well as mycelium. I had the best luck with barely taking any spores at all and collecting them from the mid point between the outer ring of the print and the stipe hole.

#23 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 246 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:23 PM

Oh don't you worry-- I will get good mycelium out of that print my friend :chucks: 

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#24 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 246 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:23 PM

Gonna make some transfers tomorrow--

Auck1_19.jpg

• Arathu, YoshiTrainer and rockyfungus like this

#25 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 246 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:30 PM

Alas, was tied up and wasn't able to get to the agar work today. I will have to reschedule it for the weekend...

In person the plate on the left looks like there's more and cleaner mycelium than onthe right one, though there are a couple sectors on there I want to try and transfer if I can.

Since this is such a rare species I'm going to dedicate a bunch of time to this-- I want to get some good clean cultures and I think taking a shotgun approach with picking like 10 spots off these plates and giving them their own chance to open up on another surface might be the way to go.

I may go ahead and start another germ plate off of the print while I'm at it to keep lines/genetics growing so I can choose the best of what I get from the lottery.

My Zap germ plates are still DOA-- I may mix up a batch of high-nute agar based on JOC's stubborn pan recipe... I know the genetics are good-- a well-known member here provided them this past spring--  but the print is a couple years old and I don't know how well Zap spores age...

:meditate:

#26 AlisonWonderland

AlisonWonderland

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 41 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2021 - 02:37 PM

That is so sad to hear about your farm and store Alison!

AlisonWonderland, sorry to hear about the situation! Your grows and photos are super inspiring, hope you're able to pick it up again soon.

just have to keep moving forward...

to those affected by covid, I'm with ya, staying hopeful everyday too... 

• DonShadow and YoshiTrainer like this

#27 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 246 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 12:47 PM

I made 8 transfers from the Auck plates to new agar today-- will keep you posted!!

#28 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 246 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:05 PM

Also wanted to show you the glorious orange clay soil/mud I'll be playing with on this project moving forward --

Tell me this isn't packed to the gills with minerals :)

OrangeMud.jpg

• YoshiTrainer and rockyfungus like this

#29 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 331 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 06:47 PM

Just put some LC to grain. I had one culture first that just never took off on grain so hopefully this one will. If not I'll try a bulk sub bag.

#30 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 331 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 06:50 PM

Also I have some zapotecorum colonizing some masters mix surprising well. It's such an ungodly slow species. I have some grain spawn that's been colonizing for two months that's almost finished and a sterilize bulk sub tray that's almost done been colonizing for almost three.
  • YoshiTrainer and coAsTal like this

#31 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:09 PM

So we're clear, this is the Zapotecorum from Australia/NSW?  If so I'm also trying to work with it.

#32 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 818 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2021 - 02:25 PM

Restarting Aucklandiae after contamination outbreak.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210129_095558-1.jpg

• Moonless and coAsTal like this

#33 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 08:10 PM

Just made 4 T2 transfer plates off the T1's I made last week-- there were still a lot of contams present in the T1's on mine too, Yoshi-- so these pulls were more to get some clean looking mycelium off the plates before they went too ugly.

Got a good feeling about them, since the better T1 transfers were very good looking, fluffy mycelium in the spots I grabbed from, and I made very small tweezer pulls from the tops of the puffballs-- wish me contam-free luck!

#34 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 11:43 PM

I made a multiculture about a month ago and it was a bust. Innoculated grain and the myc started to take off then just stalled out. Went back to the spore plate and made a new culture. This time better results. 2lb spawn bag is 50% in 5 days. I may have found what I was looking for. Fingers crossed
  • coAsTal likes this

#35 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 638 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 12:13 AM

Got a good feeling about them, since the better T1 transfers were very good looking, fluffy mycelium in the spots I grabbed from, and I made very small tweezer pulls from the tops of the puffballs-- wish me contam-free luck!

Ever tried poking with a large gauge needle (ultra fine), I have success 1/3 times getting myc back out with some water or just the sterilized air of needle...Worth a shot, I'm trying to clean up a nasty slant.

#36 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 246 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:32 PM

Haven't used your referenced method but have heard of it before, though I appreciate the advice!

#37 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 246 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 04:58 PM

OK, I'm pretty stoked about the appearance of many of these transfers-- have a look. I think I only carried over contams on one tweezer plate (bottom left), and the bottom right one has some weak looks to some of it, but the top two look clean and steady to me.

AuckT2Plates_2_5.jpg

Close-up of my favorite plate
Auck_T2_2_5.jpg

Close-up of the half-contammed one

AuckT2_2_5.jpg

#38 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 818 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2021 - 05:18 PM

Looking great coAsTaL, what is the difference in agar colors?

#39 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 246 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 05:20 PM

2 different batches-- darker ones have a little soy peptone added to the LME

#40 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member