70 replies to this topic

#41 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 08:14 PM

OK, lets see how spawn round one does:

Injected 10cc each of LC 1 & 2 into their own pint of rye mixed in with a little alder and oak sawdust. Why add sawdust to the spawn? Because I'm curious :)

Also dropped a wedge from a different T2 plate I made 2 weeks ago into another pint, just to diversify. It looked too pretty not to try out.

Wish me luck!

:cool:

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#42 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,634 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2021 - 03:48 PM

Following! Have you considered a sub yet? I would grow them similar to Psilocybe subaeruginosa maybe some top soil, coir, Hard wood chips, supplemented with some crumbled pine bark assuming it likes pine also that is. Good luck!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
  • YoshiTrainer and coAsTal like this

#43 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 02:51 PM

Yessir, we were talking about different sub approaches earlier in the thread.

So far I'm still thinking compost, and straw pellets as the main elements, with red clay soil (small amount), some wood sawdust, and pinestraw/detrius (which I may shred/powderize to mix into the sub evenly)

My two pints of rye w/sawdust are just starting to colonize now-- so stay tuned...

#44 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 07:19 PM

My bulk just finished colonizing in the mycobags and I'm thinking about just cutting the top off, casing and fruiting in a mono in the bag. Maybe put my semp in with it. I just used CVG and why? Because screw it let's just see if that's easy first. Why not.
  • YoshiTrainer and coAsTal like this

#45 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 08:44 PM

I love it!

#46 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 04:09 PM

Just a quick update--

I gave the two grain jars a strong shake 2 days ago, and they are both recovering strongly-- really intense growth now.

The LC I had used for those was a light-nute version so I expected it would take a little time to bloom out in the grain, but we're at 80% on both pints now and it's looking great.

I also made up some heavy nute LC and added a good wedge from a different T2 plate I made a couple weeks ago.

This heavy-nute LC I will use as direct innoculant in a sterilized mycobag with 10% grain mixed in as soon as it's ready. (like the Blue Helix/Asura 'spawnless' method)

I'll let you know what I ultimately use as the sub for this in the coming days, and the grain will be ready this week as well, so I should have 3 bags nocked up this week.

We're making progress! :biggrin:

#47 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 08:23 PM

I made up a few PP5 meal prep trays today that I will use with some of the LC as well--

Based on the previous discussion, these are hybrid BRF-type subs.

I cut the BRF portion in half, and replaced it with a blend of straw, oak, and alder pellets and a little finely cut pinestraw from the yard.

AuckSubDry.jpg

Then I added a tablespoon sized wad of the red clay soil to the water, and mixed it all together. The blend isn't airy like regular PF Tek mix, but it is not anything close to dense-- I hope the mycelium will have no trouble colonizing the sub because the majority of the content is still verm, straw, and sawdust with the BRF more of an accelerant than the main course. The clay mud coats everything too, so it looks denser/muddier than it is.

Here's the result:

AuckTraySub2_22.jpg

I made the layer in each tray a little under an inch deep.

I had a little left over so I put it in a half-pint.

AuckTraysPreCook2_22.jpg

Will PC these tonight, and when the first LC is ready in a couple days I'll nock these up-- then later in the week I'll move on to the larger bags mentioned above.

#48 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 583 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:39 PM

I see from the pic that you used compressed straw pellets. 2 comments...

1. Chopped straw would probably hold up to the mixture and leave air gaps and you could probably compress it down all you wanted. This is a guess, since I've never worked with chopped straw.

2. If you mix in some additional straw pellets, my experience is that they will puff up as they absorb moisture through the cook and as everything comes to equilibrium afterwards. I was able to get a fluffy but sticky texture in a mycobag where I could manually fluff up the mixture after PCing and giving the bags a day or two for the moisture to distribute. I'm not sure whether this would work in a rigid container, but it seems like it should. You'd just have little pockets of lighter straw in your denser mixture. I did this just a few days ago, so I haven't had time to see how it works yet.

https://mycotopia.ne...-6#entry1477853

#49 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:58 PM

Thank you for the advice-- I've been using the same straw pellets as you have-- but I've never had the kind of issues you described. I think maybe it's because I always pre-hydrate them before mixing.

If you do that (and I stress that you have to go easy on the water) then it becomes the same consistency as fine vermiculite or sawdust-- crumbles up easy and does not really stick at all.

Where you get in trouble is using too much water-- the pellets will clump together a lot and if you smash them in that condition they'll stick into denser pieces- but you correctly observed yourself that once the moisture equalizes, the straw behaves like...well... straw, hehe, and will break up easily.

Even if you make a soupy pellet mix, you can counteract it with verm or coir, or stuff like cactus soil, and the mix will remain the right consistency for colonization, and the pellets will break apart as easily as sawdust does.

If I had more room I would probably get some baled straw for the aeration and "channeling" abilities it gives the mycelium, but my space is extremely limited and I don't have that room. These pellets are an excellent alternative, but they require extra care in preparation for sure.

With the basically powderized straw that these pellets break down into, you definitely do have to be thoughtful in how you use them-- because they will get gummy and gross if you overdo the water :thumbs_up:

I used this straw in my Semperviva mycobag-- worked great-- and the trays I made for my pans almost the same way (just without the clay mud and wood) have all colonized very well-- so this stuff works!

#50 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,062 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2021 - 01:22 AM

Cant wait to see the mycelium run those subs.
  • coAsTal likes this

#51 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 583 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:22 AM

I used this straw in my Semperviva mycobag-- worked great-- and the trays I made for my pans almost the same way (just without the clay mud and wood) have all colonized very well-- so this stuff works!

My mixture was only tacky because I added flour paste to it. I simply meant that if your mixture is too dense because of the clay, straw pellets that have not been rehydrated yet might result in a lighter texture after being PCed.

Best of luck!

• coAsTal likes this

#52 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:25 PM

Here's a pic of my Auck rye pints-- maybe not the best pic with the lighting, but the mycelium is thin and whispy, but making good progress-- and for the record I can definitely see it appears to be colonizing the sawdust in addition to the grain, though it was all boiled together during prep so there's surely rye in the wood and vice-versa.

AuckRye2_23.jpg

I fear it may be a little bit dry in there, but it seems to be getting through OK

#53 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 02:27 PM

OK, I'm pasteurizing ~3 quarts of the substrate I will use in the first mycobags with the two pints I have.

This will give me about a 1:4 ratio of spawn to sub in each bag.

Here are my components:

Red Clay mud, 1 tablespoon mixed with 2 cups water:

MudWater.jpg

Straw, Alder, and Oak pellets:

WoodandStraw.jpg

Combined:

ClayWoodandStraw.jpg

1 pint of fine cut pinestraw,

1 pint of "Evergreen" brand Compost and Manure

1 pint of mixed pumice and lava rock I had laying around

1 half pint of fine vermiculite (not pictured)

AuckSub2_24.jpg

Then mixed it all together:

AuckSubMixed2_24.jpg

The consistency feels perfect-- airy and moist.

I'll let it sit in the jars for a couple days as the rye finishes so the thermophilic bacteria can recover and fill in with the hopes that it will help protect the sub from potential contamination in the bags.

:meditate:

#54 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,062 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2021 - 03:28 PM

That mix looks awesome coAsTaL, I can't wait to see it in action!
  • coAsTal likes this

#55 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:36 PM

Nocked up two of the trays with LC 1 and 2 (same as the stuff I did the rye grain with) and the rye pints went into their mycobags with the bulk sub today as well.

• Arathu, YoshiTrainer and rockyfungus like this

#56 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 01:36 PM

Here's the two bags I nocked now:

Bag 1
AuckBag1_3_7.jpg

Bag 2

AuckBag2_3_7.jpg

Here's the best I cold get of a close-up of the surface:

AuckBag1_3_7side.jpg

The two trays are colonizing but I can't really get a good pic inside them-- I think they're going slower than the bulk because they're denser, but I expected that.

I plan on over-colonizing these bags-- waiting well after they're 100%-- like it's said works best with other sect. Zaps.

My current thinking is that I'll case with pasteurized soil with coarse pumice, sand and bark added based on other grows I've researched.

I want big surface cracks and crevices as opposed to clean smooth casing surface.

#57 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,062 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2021 - 01:41 PM

Looking great coAsTaL!

Just put some agar to grains a few nights ago.

Edited by YoshiTrainer, 07 March 2021 - 01:42 PM.

• coAsTal likes this

#58 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 03:07 PM

Just to update, Bag 2 is definitely 100%. (I'm naming them going forward from the # assigned to the LC used to innoculate-- they are both from the same print scrapes but different areas of growth on agar)

Auck bag 1 is probably 95% colonized.

This has been the theme from the beginning-- LC 2 seems to be generally faster and more full/white, but #1 is still a pretty solid colonizer.

On bag 1 there's just one small spot where it's not filled in yet. I have moved the bag so that this place is angled upward to allow a little drainage to occur and hopefully get some air into that spot so it will fill in.

I might case bag 2 next week-- depends on how much time I can find for doing it. Would prefer doing both at once if #1 finishes. If not I might push out again.

It will have been a couple weeks past colonization and over a month from spawning the bags at that point.

Unfortunately, (not really) my Semperviva bag is throwing out a fantastic 3rd flush that may be bigger than the first 2 if they grow as tall as those did-- but of course they grow very slowly, so instead of using that FC on this project I'm probably going to have to build a new one just for them.

The two trays are also nearly complete, looking at the surface -- though it's hard to know how deep growth is since the bottom is opaque.

#59 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 06:02 PM

I think bag 1 must have an issue, because that section I described dlast week is still the same-- take a look:
AuckBag1_3_23.jpg

Bag 2 still 100% :)

AuckBag2_3_23.jpg

#60 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 12:48 PM

I cased the two small hybrid BRF trays today, and also cased a pint of rye-grain and sawdust to try the simple cased-grain option.

I dunked/pre-soaked all three of these in distilled water for several hours prior to casing.

I closed them back up in their containers and put them in a larger tray for the time being-- I want to keep them as stable as possible without fear of drying out. I will consider wet pearlite on the bottom of this tray when I take the lids off if they look good so as to keep stable humidity in there.
AuckTrays4_1.jpg

Here is the rocky, chunky casing mix I used.

I dissolved a tablespoon of the red clay into the hydration water, and drained it off well before pasteurizing a few days ago.

It looks to be a good mix of chunky and muddy-- sorry for the poor pic, but the soil component muddied the glass after shaking it up.

AuckCasing.jpg

I am still waiting on casing the bags-- I have decided to re-use the Semperviva chamber for them because I don't want to modify more tubs (and take up more space) right now, so once they're finished I'll start the soak and case them.

I still have concerns about contamination due to the uncolonized area on bag 1, but I'm planning to case it anyway unless something looks clearly bad otherwise.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!