33 replies to this topic

#1 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 728 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 05:09 PM

So I’m always thinking of diff
Things. I was planning on a GH next spring and debating to do beds. Being my climate as it is was thinking of burring pipe in beds and pump hot water through beds via circ pumps. Soil is
Kept at **** degrees and the soil mass warming up would Keep air temps in GH above freezing possibly even moderate.

Similar to a radiant heat set up in a home.
  • PJammer24, Juthro and makinbones69 like this

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,548 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2020 - 05:17 PM

I have been debating the best way to heat a greenhouse on my property... I had been thinking about ceiling mounted radiant heat that is gas fired... I have a gas well with free gas deeded to my home for as long as the well continues to produce... When it stops producing enough for the owner to turn a profit commercially, there should still be enough for my house for years to come... I am not even connected to the local gas company's gas that is available at the street. 

It is pretty nice to never have a gas bill in the winter and I would like to put that to good use by having a greenhouse that can be heated in the winter... The problem is that the greenhouse I want is like $10k and I have several things I would like to get done before I make that move.... A mushroom fruiting barn for one that will be heated by a gas-fired boiler! In my opinion, hot water heat is the way to go if you have the option and are looking to farm mushrooms... Forced air systems blow everything all over the place and I feel that it is harder to keep the air sterile while radiant heat from the ceiling or wall would create hot spots... Electric baseboard heat is 2nd to hot water heat in my opinion.

I am excited for you!! Super cool!

• makinbones69 likes this

#3 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 05:20 PM

I can't help there it doesn't get that cold. I wish u luck with ur greenhouse tho I'm doing one this year as well. I built the 20x12 frame last weekend so hopefully I'll come up with something soon. Every grower needs a greenhouse especially in colder zones im sure u will love it. If you keep it small u may be able to get away with a smaller electric heater but idk.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,212 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2020 - 05:41 PM

I have looked into this some, and I think using a rocket mass heater is likely the most efficient, and cheapest way to accomplish this.   This video can explain it better than I can.

[Direct Link]

• Arathu and makinbones69 like this

#5 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 728 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 05:41 PM

Free gas is not a bad gig. This would be a
Small 10x10 footprint. I was just going to do a space heater on a temp controller but read somewhere there bad news create condensation and freeze’s.

#6 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 728 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 05:54 PM

I have looked into this some, and I think using a rocket mass heater is likely the most efficient, and cheapest way to accomplish this. This video can explain it better than I can.

https://www.youtube....h?v=qtFvdMk3eLM

That’s super interesting juthro.
  • Juthro likes this

#7 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 05:58 PM

Thats one of those reddy heaters man? Thats a badass idea

Ooh I see now. Thats still a badass idea the reddy heater probably would damn kill ur grow
Sounds like you guys will figure it out very cool.

Edited by makinbones69, 17 December 2020 - 06:00 PM.

#8 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,212 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2020 - 06:12 PM

There is a commune about 30 miles from here that have used rocket mass heaters to great effect in both their greenhouses, and living spaces.  They are the Ionia community, I've got to go to town for supplies right now, but if I remember later I'll try and find a link to some of the videos that show them building them.

#9 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 873 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 07:28 PM

I need to figure this out.

I set up a greenhouse last year, as we can get frost up till June or July...

It varies between 120 degrees during the day and about 30 at night...Nothing can really take those drastic swings.

Wonder if a system like a swamp cooler/geothermal energy is a practical solution.

#10 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 07:53 PM

I wonder if strategically placed vent holes similar to what u may do with a shotgun chamber are in order? Its a stretch tho I just am building my first greenhouse so I'm throwing it out but realize it may be a foul idea.

#11 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2020 - 11:21 AM

Geothermal would be great if it's available.

How about making a compost bin? A properly stacked compost heap can achieve temperatures of 160*F - regardless of seasonal ambient temps. And you get some good garden soil as the waste product.

Use a circulating loop of glycol to sink the heat from the compost pile into your flower beds. It would use the same type of tubing used in a radiant heat system intended for embedding into a residential concrete slab. The piping system is both mechanical damage and chemical resistant.

You would just set up "zones" and use solenoids controlled by zone thermostats just like with a house radiant heating system.

One could construct a compost bin of poured concrete walls with the glycol system embedded into the concrete. That way you can use a skid loader or other farm implement to turn and maintain the bin without damage to the piping system.

Or you could just set up a gas-fired boiler as is traditionally used.

A friend of mine uses gas-fired heaters for his greenhouses. His main complaint is that the gas is expensive. You also have to be careful as the heaters will burn up all of the oxygen in an enclosure - presenting risk of human suffocation if you're not careful.

#12 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 884 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2020 - 03:10 PM

I think this guy is in Ohio? He grows tropical fruits in his greenhouse and posted pics of his greenhouse surrounded by snow. I'm not 100% sure but think he just uses space heaters???

https://www.tropical...arting-off-2019
  • makinbones69 and Choices like this

#13 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 728 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 05:44 PM

I have a hot water heater from a job and have all the necessary plumbing and boiler parts. I tend to
Over thing/engineer things. Was just thinking of a way to keep cactus and other fun plants from die’n during winter months and free up room in my basement during the winter. I also have a few space heaters from a emergency job I did last winter when a customers hot tub froze and of course i was asked to figure/thaw it out. Lots of good ideas thanks gentlemen!! Square footage is my nemesis.

#14 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2020 - 07:41 PM

As for keeping cacti happy during winter..........

You need only keep the soil temperatures above freezing - as in refrigerator temps. Otherwise, they will continue to grow. And in the absence of a strong lighting scheme (as in 1000 watt Metal Halide HID lighitng) they will etiolate.

I keep mine in a sunroom which is not heated by the house. The plants get sunshine but the cool ambient temperatures prevent etiolation. In the summer I "harden" them off by incrementally introducing them to full sunshine over a few weeks' period. It takes about a month to 6 weeks to reintroduce them to full sun but they can be brought in for winter in an instant with no consequences.

• makinbones69, Choices, Alpoehi and 1 other like this

#15 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,660 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 December 2020 - 02:01 PM

I managed to get my hands on four, 18 ft, sections of solar pool heater.(free cause it made the pool too hot to swim in)....need to make the investment in the glycol....

I wonder how big the compost heap needs to be to warm up a few hundred gallons of glycol?.....(might not need that much as I can heat exchange into water once inside.....)

It's a matter of finding complimentary technologies like the compost and solar and combine them in the system IMHO, free gas certainly makes life easier (jealousy is real) hahaha

Storage of heat in mass like water or masonry, say in the basement or indeed a sheltered bed in a green house especially if below ground level, could be quite useful indeed....... 

I'd like to do a double layered hoop house over top of a recessed greenhouse pit.....I've been trying to score some surplus golf cart batteries but I think I'm just going bite the bullet and order new ones...

Oh to have a research budget.....year round growing in a green house would RULE!

A

Edited by Arathu, 19 December 2020 - 02:02 PM.

• Juthro, makinbones69 and YoshiTrainer like this

#16 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 04:07 PM

Thankfully heating this sucker won't be as big of a deal as it is for you guys. This is that frame though I made some headway today its taking shape! Seedlings gonna be happier thats for sure.6a2526d6410b19efdd9d3903b51da8c8.jpg

• Arathu, Juthro, ItBeBasidia and 1 other like this

#17 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 728 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 06:10 PM

Thankfully heating this sucker won't be as big of a deal as it is for you guys. This is that frame though I made some headway today its taking shape! Seedlings gonna be happier thats for sure.6a2526d6410b19efdd9d3903b51da8c8.jpg

That’s awesome bones!! Just heavy mil clear plastic
For cover? Wish I had more room!!

Edited by Choices, 19 December 2020 - 06:10 PM.

#18 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 06:26 PM

Yeah that's what I'm thinking the mil clear. I don't have any 1x6 footers so I'm gonna likely get some for ribbing and wrap her up. Kinda learning as I go so its a process for me.

I'm thinking hard about framing the ends so I can mount fans tho also. But yea I'm likely gonna see how the plastic does if I need to adjust I will. Not bad for a salvaged green house I'm stoked.

Edited by makinbones69, 19 December 2020 - 06:28 PM.

#19 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 728 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 06:30 PM

They make a special plastic
For just what your doing. UV resistance and will last a few years.

Do you get hi winds by you? If you haven’t already I’d slam some rebar in the ground around the wood perimeter and attach the wood to the rebar. Keep it securely in the ground. A strong gust would
Probably send it
Sailing. Looks great. Wish I had the room man square footage is my nemesis!!

What’s the size 12x14/16?

Edited by Choices, 19 December 2020 - 06:32 PM.

#20 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 06:37 PM

Oh yeah I did the rebar. That plastic is something I need to look at tho

I measured the wood/rebar perimeter 12x20 but I think it got smaller lol
I used carriage bolts to secure the wood frame to the rebar and the metal frame to the 2x6 frame

Edited by makinbones69, 19 December 2020 - 06:39 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!