16 replies to this topic

#1 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 1,160 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 December 2020 - 07:44 PM

What are the theories of why someone would go threw with it?

Having an evacuation notice play from it so innocent people were less likely to be harmed seems like a very interesting twist.

Also being placed right in front of an at&t mass communications hub is interesting.
  • Choices likes this

#2 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,911 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 December 2020 - 09:37 PM

I think I'll wait for the evidence.

And would encourage that everyone else does the same.

• August West, Coopdog, Baphom3t and 3 others like this

#3 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,157 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 December 2020 - 09:54 PM

And then keep asking questions...

• roscoe, Boebs and Auhron like this

#4 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 1,160 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 December 2020 - 09:57 PM

This is for the questions:)

It was clearly very well organized, and intentional.

But who and why is what i wonder the most.

#5 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,911 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 December 2020 - 10:23 PM

And then keep asking questions...

Of course, but with nothing currently to go on, it's not worth getting riled up about it yet.

I like to wait until at least the second round of whisky-nogs are poured to shit my pants. Otherwise my ass just gets all red and itchy, and all I can think about is wet wipes. Pretty soon I just see wet wipes every where I look.

I certainly don't want to grab grandma's doilies off the table and wipe my ass with them, because I thought they were wet wipes. I don't know about yours, but that's a major party foul at my families Christmas dinner.

Merry Virgin Birth-mas, you filthy animals!

• Juthro and Boebs like this

#6 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,639 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2020 - 12:22 PM

The effects the bombing has had on telecommunications in the area suggests a motive, but not a motive for that motive.

There may or may not be some relevance to the similarity of this bombing with IRA bombings in the 80's (which also often involved warnings before detonating large bombs, which is kind of unusual for terrorism in general).

Of course, but with nothing currently to go on, it's not worth getting riled up about it yet.

We have a little more than nothing to go on at this point. We have the facts that it happened, it was on purpose, it was arguably rather sophisticated, and whomever was behind it has a big budget for spreading mayhem.

That tells me that this is probably not their first rodeo, nor their last.

• Boebs and Choices like this

#7 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 729 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 03:56 PM

My crazy brain leads me to believe that
This is not the first or the last as we get deeper in this mess we find our selfs in.

This was well organized and well planned.

He was once part of the Volksfrei West German terrorist group, but was expelled from the group, presumably for being too radical. Gruber leads a group of heavily armed, well-funded mercenaries.

Haha
  • Boebs likes this

#8 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,639 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2020 - 04:45 PM

Anyone want to start a betting pool on what happened? I figure that speculation is gonna happen either way so might as well go with it.

My money (all $20 of it) is now on it being a weird suicide thing rather than terrorism.

I'm getting ahead of official reports on that point, but only because it's better than just waiting to hear more and there's nothing else to do at the moment since we're now in what I consider to be the perineum of the year, aka the 'taint of time; 'tain't 2020 anymore in any meaningful sense (try to get something done) but 'tain't 2021 yet, either.

Edited by TVCasualty, 26 December 2020 - 04:46 PM.

• Myc and Boebs like this

#9 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 1,160 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2020 - 07:11 PM

I think we as the people we never know the truth about what really happened.
I feel it had more meaning than just suicide.
Perhaps targeting the communications of the area was a way to get somthing els done elsewhere near by,
While everyone was collecting themselfs after the explosion.

#10 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,704 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2020 - 07:41 PM

trying to take down the 5g network b/c of covid concerns maybe?

as far as  being well funded IDK about that. An old ratty RV can be had for like $500. Few cylinders worth of propane to fill it up with maybe another $100.

I mean this is certainly no Oklahoma City level of sophistication.

It will be interesting to see what sort of possible motives get spread over the next couple of days, I'd say weeks but IDK if the American attention span is that long any more.

• Boebs likes this

#11 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,187 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2020 - 09:23 PM

What.......A  RV  .................Propane ..............!

i knew those Sports freaks  tail gating was a bad idea

BEZ

#12 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,639 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 December 2020 - 01:54 PM

trying to take down the 5g network b/c of covid concerns maybe?

as far as  being well funded IDK about that. An old ratty RV can be had for like $500. Few cylinders worth of propane to fill it up with maybe another $100.

I mean this is certainly no Oklahoma City level of sophistication.

It will be interesting to see what sort of possible motives get spread over the next couple of days, I'd say weeks but IDK if the American attention span is that long any more.

Being well-funded would only be the case if whomever did it wanted to get away with it or if it was part of some larger campaign. Since at this point it appears it was a one-off incident committed by the person who owned the RV and that they didn't care about their identity being revealed then questions about funding it become irrelevant.

The misinformation engines are cranked up to full power at the moment, with all kinds of fake reports about it, including ridiculous claims of it being a missile strike. At least here I get the impression that everyone involved in discussing this incident understands that almost everything we're saying is largely speculative (but plausible).

I don't think doing this impedes finding the truth so long as we're consciously aware of the difference between facts and speculation. I partly do it to calibrate my interpretations of events since if I predict a conclusion that later turns out to be correct then it suggests my speculative interpretations of the available data were valid. If not then it tells me I need to make adjustments in how I draw such conclusions.

One thing I feel safe in asserting about this incident is that it's shining a big bright spotlight on just how vulnerable our telecommunications infrastructure can be.

This bombing probably the work of a severely mentally ill individual acting on his own, which is not likely to be nearly as effective or devastating as an attack sponsored or carried out by a hostile foreign State with significant resources and intelligence capabilities. And it was only effective in fucking up communications over such a large area because it was designed by incompetent bean-counters who obviously prioritized cutting costs over resilience and security.

After all, the primary purpose of having networked and decentralized communications is ostensibly their resilience even when damaged (whether the damage was natural/incidental or intentional).

I can only hope that China and Russia's critical infrastructure is similarly easy to take down since being able to play tit-for-tat in this context is probably the only thing securing ours from them at the moment (I mean securing ours from efforts to destroy or take them down through external means vs. hacking them, which both nations already do to us all the time as I'm sure we do to them, too).

Thanks to our over-reliance on digital technology, we apparently now have to adopt M.A.D. (Mutually Assured Destruction) doctrines of foreign policy for satellites and telecommunications infrastructure as well as nuclear weapons. But that won't secure anything against lone-wolf lunatics, though competent design of the physical elements of such infrastructure can accomplish this fairly easily as long as it's a priority from the beginning of any such projects. For example, don't put such important equipment in any building that's close enough to a public road for a vehicle bomb to be capable of damaging or destroying it for fuck's sake.

• Boebs likes this

#13 Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

{{{{{{{ + }}}}}}}

• OG VIP
  • 1,045 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 December 2020 - 06:07 PM

The driver of the RV has reportedly succumbed to COVID-19!

• Boebs and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#14 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 1,160 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 December 2020 - 06:31 PM

Covid-19 killed the driver? Lmao..

#15 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,399 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 December 2020 - 07:16 PM

It's all ok now folks. The FBI and ATF are all over this caper.

Got the perp I.D.'d and the entire backstory locked and loaded

We'll be getting to the truth of this...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................never

We've seen this cartoon before

• Boebs and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#16 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,911 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 December 2020 - 08:27 PM

I don't think doing this impedes finding the truth so long as we're consciously aware of the difference between facts and speculation. I partly do it to calibrate my interpretations of events since if I predict a conclusion that later turns out to be correct then it suggests my speculative interpretations of the available data were valid. If not then it tells me I need to make adjustments in how I draw such conclusions.

To me this is the gold standard for conspiratorial/speculative thought, yet in today's world it seems to be more unobtainium than gold. Combine that with everything that has been going on, and the continued askewing of intellectual pursuit, and we are all in for a very bad time.

Which is the way he* wants it. Well, he gets it.

*He, in this case refers to the agents of chaos, that have permeated every nook and cranny of the internet (even here there are folks MsBhavin :). Which over the last couple of years, has been noticeable and quick. Every platform I use, I see obvious agents of chaos, sewing doubt in every news story, every statistic, every universally held fact/truth. And for every agent of chaos there are thousands, if not tens of thousands, of dry sponge parrots that suck up every drop of misinformation, and regurgitate it without a single femtogram of credible evidence. Then there are the millions who don't buy in whole hog, but they do internalize it and those unsubstantiated crumbs of doubt flavor their conclusions the next time around.

Around, and around, and around we go, until there is no truth, no trust, no cooperation, no goodwill, no bueno. . .

There needs to be a way to combat this (don't ask me how), or we are headed for a dark age.

I'll link this gem of a thread once again because its a great place to start.

https://mycotopia.ne...ndercover-pigs/

This is also worth the watch, if you are a u/.

[Direct Link]

• TVCasualty, Juthro and Boebs like this

#17 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,639 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2020 - 11:23 AM

*He, in this case refers to the agents of chaos, that have permeated every nook and cranny of the internet (even here there are folks MsBhavin :). Which over the last couple of years, has been noticeable and quick. Every platform I use, I see obvious agents of chaos, sewing doubt in every news story, every statistic, every universally held fact/truth. And for every agent of chaos there are thousands, if not tens of thousands, of dry sponge parrots that suck up every drop of misinformation, and regurgitate it without a single femtogram of credible evidence. Then there are the millions who don't buy in whole hog, but they do internalize it and those unsubstantiated crumbs of doubt flavor their conclusions the next time around.

Around, and around, and around we go, until there is no truth, no trust, no cooperation, no goodwill, no bueno. . .

There needs to be a way to combat this (don't ask me how), or we are headed for a dark age.

That paragraph sums up the fundamental problem we're facing more vividly and concisely that I've seen expressed anywhere.

Part of the reason for the Chaos thread is to act as a warning, but part is to point out that it can also be protective.

Or "the only thing that stops an Agent of Bad Chaos is an Agent of Good Chaos!"

Chaos Theory is about the dynamic balance between Order and Chaos (not just Chaos), so when an Agent who is Chaotic Evil is wandering around fucking things up by increasing disorder and entropy (social as well as physical) then Agents who are Chaotic Good increase Order to counter it.

When Chaotic Evil imposes rigid, oppressive Order then Chaotic Good imposes increasing unpredictability.

• roscoe likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!