• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 09:56 PM

I got a bunch of stalled cakes, how should I give them second life. grate and mix with substrate or just grate them together without additional substrate?

#2 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,906 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 December 2020 - 10:41 PM

I'd probably feed them to my chickens.

Cooking jars twice always seems to make for very slow myc growth. And the smell. . .Oooooh that smell. . . I can smell that smell. . .

#3 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 04:15 PM

They're either stalled because of excess co2 or bacteria one or the other.

If its co2 then flipping your cake upside down for 12-24 hours (provided if you're using lids that the lids are on inverted) if not and the jar is completely sealed then you would need to remove the lid inside of a glovebox in order for that trick to work.

However if its bacteria then the myc will remain stalled out.

So you can give my suggestion a try if you'd like since in all logical theory you're at the "damned if you do, damned if you dont" point.
  • jrh likes this

#4 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,711 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 December 2020 - 07:34 PM

I got a bunch of stalled cakes, how should I give them second life. grate and mix with substrate or just grate them together without additional substrate?

If they aren't infested with bacteria (smelly and wet-looking) you could try to fruit them.  Pop them out of the jars with clean hands and rub the un-colonized substrate off with your fingers under cold running water.  Dunk the partial cakes for up to 24 hours and try to fruit.  I wouldn't crumble them if they had trouble getting fully colonized.  Then your jars are freed up for you to start some more cakes.

If they have a bacteria problem they are goners.

#5 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 01:53 PM

My B+ cakes stalled after an anemic first flush so I grated them into fresh substrate and got good spawning. Just treat it like a new batch and you'll be good. Make sure there aren't any contams first.

#6 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:44 AM

I was also using some perlite in my containers that has been bleach steralized but it still smells strong of bleach, would that also cause stalling? Im still a newb at recognizing contams. sometimes I smell a sweetness off a cake, but it still fruits well so maybe its my sense of smell.  here is a pic of verm rolled cakes that seem stalled but are very white with myc!  fyi these are 2 months old and still SEEM contam free but i dont know for sure!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201230_080202.jpg

#7 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:47 AM

im gonna try and crush it all into substrate just to see, I think it will be a good experiment. maybe try to keep the cakes crumbled in areas rather than mixing it all together for too much competition!

#8 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 11:12 AM

Maybe I'm not understanding correctly, but at this point your cakes are your spawn. You want to have the spawn as evenly distributed in the substrate as is reasonably possible so that you get even colonization and pinset. Also, the smaller the pieces of cake, the more inoculation points you will have and faster overall colonization time.

#9 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 111 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 08:39 AM

my bad, I didn't fully explain that these cakes came from a first flush invitro grow and now are on their 2nd flush and most of them just gave me small mushrooms so they are all dunked and rolled now , a few jars never did anything and a few were great! However I must ask can I blame genetics I don't feel so because other jars turned out great. are mushrooms that resistant to contamination because I feel my pf jars are a 100% success.  I even have a few jars which are still invitro and took 2+ months to grow shrooms.   Im gonna repost with a few pics

#10 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 111 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 08:51 AM

invitro and 2nd flush that did great

20201103_073851.jpg

20201105_021133.jpg

20201130_091227.jpg

these jars took forever the one in my hand is from the first week in september 2020, other 2 are october. recent pic just now

20201231_063713.jpg

My green thumb outside the jar seems to be hit or miss lol :(

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!