• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 371 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 12:59 PM

My sub looks like its yellowing a bit. Still smells great. uncovered 4 days ago for fruiting. Is it just myc waste?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-2794.jpg
  • IMG-2795.jpg

#2 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,312 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2020 - 01:44 PM

Metabolites; yes. The question is from what. Far too often its from bacteria. Atleast it smells good, and you probably did the right thing by taking the lid off.

Next time try making your substrate a little dryer.

• Tenderfoot and Baphom3t like this

#3 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 371 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 02:03 PM

Metabolites; yes. The question is from what. Far too often its from bacteria. Atleast it smells good, and you probably did the right thing by taking the lid off.

hmm ok dryer sub, will do. I guess ill keep an eye on it for now?

#4 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 371 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 02:16 PM

I was gone a lot the last two days and didn't get as much misting and fanning as usual... could this be a cause?

#5 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

I Put That Shit On Everything!

• VIP
  • 665 posts

Donator

Posted 26 December 2020 - 02:43 PM

I was gone a lot the last two days and didn't get as much misting and fanning as usual... could this be a cause?

That can very well be the cause. Stagnant air is a breeding ground for all kinds of nasty.
Moisture probably not so much of an issue in this instance, but you're using a liner also which can harbor bacterial growth and other nasty from the water that can pool and sit stagnant in between the liner and the tub when you mist. I'm doing tubs now and none have liners, but this is just my humble opinion.
Just as Cue said it is more likely a bacterial issue. If it stinks toss it. If it smells mushroomy, let it roll.

Edited by Baphom3t, 26 December 2020 - 02:46 PM.

• Cue and Vikings333 like this

#6 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 371 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 02:58 PM

That can very well be the cause. Stagnant air is a breeding ground for all kinds of nasty.
Moisture probably not so much of an issue in this instance, but you're using a liner also which can harbor bacterial growth and other nasty from the water that can pool and sit stagnant in between the liner and the tub when you mist. I'm doing tubs now and none have liners, but this is just my humble opinion.
Just as Cue said it is more likely a bacterial issue. If it stinks toss it. If it smells mushroomy, let it roll.

thanks that helps. Maybe I need to give me grow space a good clean before the next round.

just got done with 2 tubs and got about 8 ozs dry

Edited by Vikings333, 26 December 2020 - 02:58 PM.

#7 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,312 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2020 - 05:41 PM

Good cleaning? Meh; if you don't have anything better to do with your time (did I mention that I'm lazy). Look in the background of some of my indoor grow pics and you will see one of the nastiest rooms ever to be posted on here. And one of the funniest threads was from DocMcNasty proving you didn't have to be sterile with a grow. In his tub he had cigarette butts and a half eaten toasted cheese sandwhich; I forget what all else. IMO your time would be better spent composting your substrate then giving it a long pasteurization. And, when I say long I'm talking about 12-24 hours. This not only kills the bad microbes, more importantly facilitates the production of symbiotic micro organisms. Remember that about 90% of bacteria is actually good. These symbiotic microbe actually fend off the bad ones, plus IME really gets the mushroom potency up.

One more thing the common thought about field capacity; IMO if you can squeeze any water at all of the substrate then its too fuckin wet.

I grew in Swampland, Florida, USA; probably mold capital of the world. I remember racing to get a flush before Trich took over, so it took me while and a good many tubs to learn the above.

Good luck and happy trails

Cue

• Arathu and Vikings333 like this

#8 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 371 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 05:52 PM

Good cleaning? Meh; if you don't have anything better to do with your time (did I mention that I'm lazy). Look in the background of some of my indoor grow pics and you will see one of the nastiest rooms ever to be posted on here. And one of the funniest threads was from DocMcNasty proving you didn't have to be sterile with a grow. In his tub he had cigarette butts and a half eaten toasted cheese sandwhich; I forget what all else. IMO your time would be better spent composting your substrate then giving it a long pasteurization. And, when I say long I'm talking about 12-24 hours. This not only kills the bad microbes, more importantly facilitates the production of symbiotic micro organisms. Remember that about 90% of bacteria is actually good. These symbiotic microbe actually fend off the bad ones, plus IME really gets the mushroom potency up.

One more thing the common thought about field capacity; IMO if you can squeeze any water at all of the substrate then its too fuckin wet.

I grew in Swampland, Florida, USA; probably mold capital of the world. I remember racing to get a flush before Trich took over, so it took me while and a good many tubs to learn the above.

Good luck and happy trails

Cue

Hahaha good to know. Ya im not used to finally having space to keep a continual grow going in (usually one run of tubs and done) so I just was making sure I didn't need to take any special precautions. Got it - Longer pasteurization. ive asked this a lot recently but whats your pasteurization method. And compost sub? So you reuse it after its broken down??

#9 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 298 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 06:00 PM

Can you seed substrate with good bacteria, like with fish water or something?

#10 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,312 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2020 - 10:09 PM

"ive asked this a lot recently but whats your pasteurization method." Stick it in a large pot with a tight fitting lid, put it in the oven, set the oven at 150F and walk away (did I mention that I'm lazy?). Come back after a minimum of 12 hours then walk away again. Its going to stay warm for atleast another 12 hours, so unless you are in a hurry or someone needs to use the oven just let it set in there for another 12 hours to cool slowly. Commercial mushroom farms literally fill entire buildings with warm compost and let the heat from the compost to pasteurize the building.

Composting really comes in to play if you are using wheat straw like I was. Remember fungi is a secondary decomposer. I would lose a pissing match as to the importance of composting if they pointed out Eatyualive's success on straight coir. That man has forgotten more than I ever knew. I am not worthy to even stand in his shadow.

Dig into my threads and look for "Cue's Composted Straw Tek". And while you are there check out my favorite "Cue's WBS Steep Tek".

• Vikings333 likes this

#11 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,312 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2020 - 10:22 PM

Can you seed substrate with good bacteria, like with fish water or something?

You can, but we warned that when you start getting into fish emulsions you running into issues where your sub gets too "hot". Meaning too many nutrients and that is often worse than not enough. I tried using a product from Fox Farms called Ocean Forest or something like that and I had issues. Problem was that everything thrived in that shit. There is also seagull quano and bat quano that has been tried by some others. Never saw any of them swear either though. Things may have changed as I haven't been on any clearnet forums in a minute.

#12 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 371 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 01:59 PM

"ive asked this a lot recently but whats your pasteurization method." Stick it in a large pot with a tight fitting lid, put it in the oven, set the oven at 150F and walk away (did I mention that I'm lazy?). Come back after a minimum of 12 hours then walk away again. Its going to stay warm for atleast another 12 hours, so unless you are in a hurry or someone needs to use the oven just let it set in there for another 12 hours to cool slowly. Commercial mushroom farms literally fill entire buildings with warm compost and let the heat from the compost to pasteurize the building.

Composting really comes in to play if you are using wheat straw like I was. Remember fungi is a secondary decomposer. I would lose a pissing match as to the importance of composting if they pointed out Eatyualive's success on straight coir. That man has forgotten more than I ever knew. I am not worthy to even stand in his shadow.

Dig into my threads and look for "Cue's Composted Straw Tek". And while you are there check out my favorite "Cue's WBS Steep Tek".

Thanks Cue. Definitely use that WBS steep tek. 

The tubs are starting to fruit. Pinning is a little more sporadic than I think im used to seeing.. maybe the myc is still a little unhealthy but seems to be doing ok.

Happy new year all!!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-2816.jpg
  • IMG-2817.jpg

#13 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 07:11 PM

I don't see any "yellowing."  if it is just small yellow droplets, then it's likely metabolites/ "myc poop."  your two photos look like clean myc mats to me.

Edited by ilikethings, 01 January 2021 - 07:12 PM.

• Vikings333 likes this

#14 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 371 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 11:08 AM

I don't see any "yellowing."  if it is just small yellow droplets, then it's likely metabolites/ "myc poop."  your two photos look like clean myc mats to me.

More than small droplets. More like patches. Did you see the first few photos in the thread?

#15 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 261 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2021 - 09:07 AM

Yea those look pretty good still, but judging by all that shrinkage of the sub before the first flush I would guess there wasn’t enough moisture in the sub to begin with and it dried up a little, pins are looking nice and healthy tho.

#16 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 371 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 10:12 AM

Yea those look pretty good still, but judging by all that shrinkage of the sub before the first flush I would guess there wasn’t enough moisture in the sub to begin with and it dried up a little, pins are looking nice and healthy tho.

So you think too dry...

#17 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

I Put That Shit On Everything!

• VIP
  • 665 posts

Donator

Posted 03 January 2021 - 12:09 PM

IMO shrinking substrate is not necessarily a dry substrate. After every first flush, I see shrinkage of substrate. The myc eats the grains and produces mushrooms which is 90% water; which in turn creates shrinkage of substrate, this is why people rehydrate or  dunk after a flush. The substrate will continue to shrink over time after each flush until competing elements take over or it runs out of nutrients. I rehydrate or dunk 12 - 24 hrs. drain and then lightly patch after each flush until I see a competing element or notice weak mycelium.
I think you have a battle between something bacterial and mycelium going on. I'd show it love but keep my eye on it in case it goes all zombie on you. Good luck man.

Edited by Baphom3t, 03 January 2021 - 12:17 PM.

• ilikethings likes this

#18 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 261 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2021 - 05:13 PM

IMO shrinking substrate is not necessarily a dry substrate. After every first flush, I see shrinkage of substrate. The myc eats the grains and produces mushrooms which is 90% water; which in turn creates shrinkage of substrate, this is why people rehydrate or dunk after a flush. The substrate will continue to shrink over time after each flush until competing elements take over or it runs out of nutrients. I rehydrate or dunk 12 - 24 hrs. drain and then lightly patch after each flush until I see a competing element or notice weak mycelium.
I think you have a battle between something bacterial and mycelium going on. I'd show it love but keep my eye on it in case it goes all zombie on you. Good luck man.

He hasn’t had a flush yet

#19 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 371 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 05:34 PM

This is the first flush and IMO hasn't really shrunk away from the sides or anything. Not sure what he was looking at.

Good fruits but that are smaller than I am used too, especially B+. They are fully developing and not aborts but still smaller. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-2829.jpg
  • IMG-2830.jpg

#20 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 261 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2021 - 05:57 PM

Yea it looked a lot smaller in the other pics, sorry bruh. The bags always throw me off, not sure why people use them tbh. Glad your still getting fruits tho.
  • Vikings333 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!