• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 369 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 06:01 PM

Yea it looked a lot smaller in the other pics, sorry bruh. The bags always throw me off, not sure why people use them tbh. Glad your still getting fruits tho.

ya ive just always used the bag liners. although recently I am still getting side pins

#22 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

I Put That Shit On Everything!

• VIP
  • 665 posts

Donator

Posted 03 January 2021 - 06:35 PM

Each flush will draw from and shrink the substrate causing it to pull away from the edges no matter what, as will other flushes you get. This is normal. I grow in tubs, bags and see this shrinkage happen in them as well. It just is what happens. Again, this is why rehydration or dunking is needed after a good flush. It helps replenish the lost moisture from the previous flush to continue procreation to the next but the substrate will be smaller due to the mycelium munching away on the nutrient source.
I personally don't use liners for tubs. I see them as a place for stagnant water to sit and grow funk in between the tub and the liner, but we all grow differently. They grow the way they want anyway no matter what we do. I still say keep your eye on it.
I see myc struggling in some areas and discoloration that is not consistent with healthy myc. Give it love but keep your eye on it in case it goes all zombie on you. Just my 2 cents man.
Positive vibes your way brother.

Edited by Baphom3t, 03 January 2021 - 06:58 PM.

• Vikings333 likes this

#23 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 03:59 AM

I see the yellow in your photos of first flush.  looks like metabolites.  I went back and looked at your OP photos.  I didn't see any yellow.  If anything i saw what looked like grey--but probably a photographic "artifact."  Also, I agree re shrinkage even when you have proper moisture/water level--my 1.5-2" mats will shrink about .5" from edge of bin after first flush (at which point they become a true mat consistency).  But they shrink less after second flush.  I'v always pitched my mats after small (~25% by weight of 1st flush) 3rd flush.  But I'm still using MS stock.

Edited by ilikethings, 13 January 2021 - 04:00 AM.

#24 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 369 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:56 AM

I see the yellow in your photos of first flush.  looks like metabolites.  I went back and looked at your OP photos.  I didn't see any yellow.  If anything i saw what looked like grey--but probably a photographic "artifact."  Also, I agree re shrinkage even when you have proper moisture/water level--my 1.5-2" mats will shrink about .5" from edge of bin after first flush (at which point they become a true mat consistency).  But they shrink less after second flush.  I'v always pitched my mats after small (~25% by weight of 1st flush) 3rd flush.  But I'm still using MS stock.

Barely getting 2 flushes. Im using MS stock too but looking into agar work. Will that help?

#25 FunG

FunG

"Trump 2021"

• Free Member
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 04:24 AM

The shrinkage people speak of is due to the mycelium converting the substrate into mushrooms.

You can let coir dry out it wont lose mass but given mycelium feeding on it and it does.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!