• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 01:14 AM

Have you ever considered making your own spalted maple (or oak, etc.) by using your myco skill to inoculate logs? I met someone who was doing that and he was able to either sell it or use it for his own projects and seemed to be making a modest but worthwhile side income from it.

And I see you have an old-school "radical harm" saw; I inherited the same model from my dad. I don't see those around much anymore (I don't have my dad's anymore, either but as consolation I still have both of my hands and all of my fingers).

I've been gathering branch and trunk sections over the years for my work, the latest being a perfectly good maple tree from next door that's waiting for the sawyer to collect and cut up for me. The older sections have been stacked beside my garage waiting to be sawn up. Last summer I had wood loving mushrooms take up residence on some of them so nature is helping me. The oldest is flame box elder with white oak added a couple years ago when the township cut down a massive white oak right across the street from my house. Another perfectly good tree cut down cause someone thought it was rotted. With the exception of the maple all had the fungi on them. Should be some good spalting going on with them.

I'm selling the radial saw as it always wanted to race into the cut so I got a sliding miter saw to replace it. Almost the same cross cut without that drawback.

Thanks to all for the likes and comments. This one was the most ambitious project to date. What you can't see in the pic is the front of the top has a very gentle curve to add a graceful line to it.

• TVCasualty likes this

#42 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 11:18 AM

Back to the job at hand. It looks like the PB is close to being played out at 4 flushes but I've got hopes for another. The flushes I got were never a forest canopy so hoping there's more in it. Meanwhile one of the qts of BPK was having problems colonizing the bottom area of the jar. I finally realized the germination mat was "cooking" that area so I turned it way down and now its colonizing. Fortunately the grains are still plump with moisture.

Here's a quick tip for drying, split the stem lengthwise. It will cut drying time by about half. What's happening is the outside drys out and prevents the inside from releasing moisture. The caps are OK as is.
  • FunG likes this

#43 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 11:35 PM

After a disappointing 4th flush, 5 shrooms, I debated whether or not to try for another  so with nothing else waiting in the wings I went with the long shot and dunked the tub yesterday. Today the long shot is paying off, little starts plumped up overnight and I might get an additional dozen or so shrooms.

• TVCasualty and FunG like this

#44 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 181 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:55 PM

Part two of the Thai project, Ban Phang Ka, is off to the races. Got the rye sown to sub this morning. If everything goes the same way as the PB it should be fully myceliated in a week.

I picked a couple PB's this morning too and waiting for the largest shroom's cap to flatten before picking it for a print.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!