• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 ideaman

ideaman

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 05:49 PM

So i need a pretty odd size flowhood to fit in a specific spot. I need a 36x36". I found one here  but the filter is $450 after shipping.  If anyone knows a place to get a filter the size i need for less i would love a link.

#2 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,765 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2021 - 06:51 PM

Does it have to fill the whole space? Or can you block off a section and get away with a much more common/cheaper size, such as 24x36?

Deals on eBay can be hard to beat for the more conventional sizes if you can afford to watch and wait for them to be posted (for brand new/unused filters, but they're usually blems, scratch-and-dent, or surplus).

Have you tried any of the large direct-from-China sites? It's where most of them will be coming from anyway.

That's all I got besides all the usual major biotech, pharma, and HVAC supply companies that come up in a search (who all charge full retail).

#3 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 07:03 PM

Not sure why you need the filter if the flow hood has sufficient draw?  Just pipe the exhaust to another room or outside.  Anyone who has worked in the construction field has probably built a "plenum" for dust removal.  The same principal should apply to a flow hood.  With a flow hood, the idea is just to prevent particulates from falling on your workspace.  I've made them just using a fan and a "plenum."  https://www.dictiona...m/browse/plenum  Just my 2 cents.

P.S. you may remember using a basic flow-hood back in HS chem class...no filters from what I recall...they just pull the air up and vent to another area or to outside the building.

Edited by ilikethings, 01 January 2021 - 07:08 PM.

#4 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2021 - 07:17 PM

Thing about ordering a filter that size is it will get destroyed in transit unless you use freight truck shipping on a pallet.

You wont beat 450 for a filter that size. That is about retail or even below a 99.99 hepa that size. Make sure it isn't super old.

• Sidestreet and ideaman like this

#5 ideaman

ideaman

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 09:59 PM

@tvcasulty a 24 x 36 would could work for sure

@ilikethings your thinking about a fume hood

@sandman thanks for the reality check

If i abandon that space and go larger is this a crazy good deal on ebay or am i missing something. 

https://www.ebay.com...64/333828513048

#6 groo

groo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 11:26 PM

Won't he?  i got a 36x72 for $200 hunting and hunting hunting and huntinghunting and huntinghunting and huntinghunting and huntinghunting and huntinghunting and huntinghunting and huntinghunting and huntinghunting and hunting

I remember some 36 x36 on ebay recently

the one you are linking to is not 99.99 it is (99.97 Efficiency     99.97%)

Sinking so much in a project normally i tell noobs building a 12 or a 24x 12 99.97 SHOULD be fine. That is a lot of money and you may want to be more sure.

Edited by groo, 01 January 2021 - 11:54 PM.

#7 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2021 - 07:54 AM

Yea and once I bought an entire stainless steel flowhood for $60 on ebay. Trust me those deals are EXTREMELY rare.

The main ebay sellers of the 99.99 Koch filters (zoro) stopped selling on ebay cause they were getting too many damage claims because they shipped UPS.

I've had 5 out of 5 filters shipped through UPS/FEDEX damaged... Literally never had one make it through without getting pile-drived by the Undertaker off of Hell in a Cell. 

Buying a cheap old filter on ebay is a really big gamble. Besides the shipping trouble, the filters are likely really old and poorly kept.

You don't know if the hepa filter spent 25 years in someones garage getting peed on by squirrels. 

If you wanna be sure, buy a hepa filter from a real supplier that will ship it right.

Real suppliers build your filter to order brand new and then send it on a freight truck.

But this is all for bigger filters, You could probably ship a 12x12x6 or similar little filter UPS if it's got a plywood shipping box. 

Personally I don't think someone would be happy with something smaller than a 24x24 minimum, 30x30 would be more preferred and 30x48 the real sweet spot.

This is to bare minimum open a small PC in the hood and remove some agar bottles and foil packets. 

Edited by sandman, 02 January 2021 - 08:13 AM.

• Sidestreet and YoshiTrainer like this

#8 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,446 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2021 - 11:22 AM

I bought mine off of e-bay. It's a 30" x 50" and cost me $60 - shipped. It is a laboratory-grade filter at 99.99%.

The item was brand-new and sold to me from a HVAC contractor who had some left-overs from a job which had been completed and was no longer under warranty.

Just be patient and keep your eye out. Try to deal with contractors if you can manage. You stand a good chance of buying some high-end materials which were spec'd. out for a lab.

Talk to the seller prior to purchase and make sure what you're getting. Heck, this guy even offered me a forward-curve blower motor to match the filter.

#9 ideaman

ideaman

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 12:27 PM

ok so dont buy the filter i found or the hood on ebay.

Got it.

Does anyone know where i can purchase a brand new 36 x 36 filter and have it freighted? 

#10 groo

groo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 02:44 PM

Would you take a picture and some measuremets of the room you plan to flowhood in? I understand why a 36 wide wmight work but a 36 tall is way too tall. since they are REALLY hard to find at 3ftx3ft

Pic please of your little nook so we may get why only a 36 tall would work. Onless a 24 tall mught work there are significantly sheaper 24x36 ones out there. Perhaps one of us may be able to shed light on something you are missing allowing a different filter situation size?

https://www.spycor.c...ggb2436a6ax.htm this one does not have a minimum of 3 purchase like the other wood frame one.

Edited by groo, 02 January 2021 - 02:54 PM.

#11 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2021 - 03:49 PM

Man all my old online HEPA sources have dried up recently.

Nothing wrong with a 36" high filter, it's a good thing to have some head room for free pouring in tall bags or stacking plates high when you pour. You need to be working on riser anyway not directly on the work table.

• Myc likes this

#12 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2021 - 03:53 PM

Contact Baker and see who can supply the 48x36 filter for the EdgeGard 4320 It uses a 48x36x5-78 proper real filter and they wont steer you wrong I guarantee it. 

• Myc and ideaman like this

#13 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,446 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2021 - 04:44 PM

I recommend just biting the bullet and purchasing what you prefer to have in place.

A new HEPA filter, properly stored,cared-for, and pre-filtered, will provide years of service life and you will appreciate the ease of using a laminar workstation vs. a still-air glovebox.

Ditto what Sandman said about a tall filter. That 36" height will come in really handy when you're doing 18" tall filter-patch spawnbags. My 30" height has just exactly what I need as far as clearance but the extra 6" would be really nice. I feel that bigger really is better with a laminar workstation since it allows more space to set up for processes.

Best of luck with your decision.

Edited by Myc, 02 January 2021 - 04:44 PM.

• sandman likes this

#14 ideaman

ideaman

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 04:54 PM

@ groo I house my Flowhood inside of a childs wardrobe fro ikea  i cant figure out how to upload a pic

I have used with my 12 x 24 flowhood from FP for 12 years and I need more working space. 

Edited by ideaman, 02 January 2021 - 04:59 PM.

#15 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2021 - 05:29 PM

Might call these peoples

Camfil : 888 599 6620

https://www.camfil.c...bsolute-_-32460

#16 groo

groo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 05:39 PM

I am more interested in where your new flow hood is supposed to go.

#17 groo

groo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 05:41 PM

https://www.ebay.com...CsAAOSwpBdd~CM5 This one is 36x72 you may try to find out if is actually a pleated laminar flow filter FIRST then offer 2 300 bux and a cute funny story that you write and hope he accepts. Ah i see it is a FFU filter. Still laminar but not DEEP DEP DEEP like a 11 ich or a 7 inch

Edited by groo, 02 January 2021 - 05:42 PM.

#18 ideaman

ideaman

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 06:41 PM

Alright. i found the size i want. well i wish i found 30 x 30 but this is the closest i can find.

https://www.spycor.c...ggb2430b7ax.htm

Does this all check out. Am i good to purchase this ? 

#19 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2021 - 07:04 PM

Generally the 5-7/8 filters are preferred for a flow hood. A 5 7-8 filter has twice the static pressure at the same velocity as a 11-1/2" filter.  

The reason is  that the double wide thick filters are actually just a deeper VVVVVVVVVVVV pattern of a folderd peice of paper, so the 12" thick filters have twice as deep a V shape which means twice as much surface area for the air to come out of.

You can see the effect here  you can see that the 24x24 x 11.5 says 1" static pressure but @ 1050 cfm while the 24x24x 5-7/8 is 1" @ 550 cfm. The 24x24x11.5 would be only roughly 0.5" SP @ 550 cfm. And a 24x24 would be operating  at 400 cfm so really you would be looking at even lower SP roughly 0.35" SP for a 11.5" filter @ 100 fpm.

Edited by sandman, 11 January 2021 - 07:06 PM.

#20 ideaman

ideaman

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 07:37 PM

Thats why i bought my last flowhood from FP... That all sounds crazy to me. Thank you for taking the time to write that. I will spend some time figuring out what it all means.

sounds like i need a 5 7-8 filter.  i'm having trouble finding a 30 x 30" in general.

Edited by ideaman, 11 January 2021 - 07:38 PM.

• coorsmikey and jrh like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!