65 replies to this topic

#61 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:04 AM

Umm, some questions...

1. It seems like a lot of people use squirrel blowers, but you used a vent fan. Normally I see these mounted right side up or sideways to vent from a bathroom, say, but it looks like yours is upside down. I like the idea because it's a nice, low profile way of mounting the fan, but I wanted to verify that you're actually placing the fan upside down, so if I try to do just that I'm not being an idiot. Does the weight of the fan hold it in place, or is there some mounting hardware? And finally, does the fan resting in the round hole provide all the seal you need, or is something else going on in there too?

2. For those of us without a table saw, or other radial saw, what's the simplest, effective material to use for the cabinet? MDF? Some kind of plywood? I guess essentially I'd have to order the filter and blower, take all my measurements, then go to the home depot and have them do all the table saw cuts. Do they even do that?

Thanks, and sorry for being a total nube. When it comes to woodworking, I made a clock in shop class when I was 14, and that was it.

#62 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 644 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:57 AM

Home depot will cut, but they do a crap job sometimes.

Maybe look into a community woodshop (makers mart? forgot the name). My public libraries have been adding 3d printers, CNC machines, and some basic wood tools.

Look around your community for other ideas (probably hard with pandemic..)

Edited by rockyfungus, 22 February 2021 - 10:59 AM.

• TVCasualty, Microbe and jrh like this

#63 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 11:17 AM

Thanks, will ask around about that. :)

#64 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,589 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2021 - 12:16 PM

Umm, some questions...

1. It seems like a lot of people use squirrel blowers, but you used a vent fan. Normally I see these mounted right side up or sideways to vent from a bathroom, say, but it looks like yours is upside down. I like the idea because it's a nice, low profile way of mounting the fan, but I wanted to verify that you're actually placing the fan upside down, so if I try to do just that I'm not being an idiot. Does the weight of the fan hold it in place, or is there some mounting hardware? And finally, does the fan resting in the round hole provide all the seal you need, or is something else going on in there too?

2. For those of us without a table saw, or other radial saw, what's the simplest, effective material to use for the cabinet? MDF? Some kind of plywood? I guess essentially I'd have to order the filter and blower, take all my measurements, then go to the home depot and have them do all the table saw cuts. Do they even do that?

Thanks, and sorry for being a total nube. When it comes to woodworking, I made a clock in shop class when I was 14, and that was it.

Squirrel cage blowers are preferred as they are much more powerful. However the Centrifugal blowers, are much quieter and lower profile as you noticed.

I installed so that the air is directed down in to the plenum box behind the filter. Rather its upside down or not, i do not know. It came with hardware to mount it but i just cut a circle out and forced it down in there, so its snug and couple that with the weight, it's not moving. I ran a thick bead of silicone around for added measure.

Lowes or Home Depot will cut the materials to your specs, but its a rough cut saw and there is nothing precise about it and seen plywood 3/16" inches out of a square. You could make that work but it flips my OCD switch. They use a panel saw which pretty much a table saw inverted in to a vertical position.

Edited by Microbe, 22 February 2021 - 12:18 PM.

• TVCasualty and jrh like this

#65 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,952 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2021 - 02:39 PM

Umm, some questions...

For blowers, it's all about the specs. If it can handle what the filter requires in terms of CFM and backpressure then it'll work.

The issues to keep in mind when picking a fan or blower are duty cycle and speed control. The duty cycle needs to be 100% and if any speed controller is used with it the motor needs to be of a type that can run with one.

For squirrel cage blowers, small ones usually have flanges that make mounting easy and for big ones they come with mounting hardware. I mounted mine like so:

The mounting hardware is the gray L-bracket:

100_1468.jpg

It's a monster of a blower, so I extended the vertical supports (which are 2X3's) all the way to the bottom of main box. If I built it again I'd use rubber vibration dampeners between the blower and the box. The vibration is not too bad since it was balanced very well but every little bit counts (and it might make it a bit quieter; I wear ear plugs when using it but that's partly due to the horrible acoustics in most clean rooms).

Another angle:

100_1474.jpg

I wired the blower to the end of an extension cord (I don't even remember why, probably for easy removal) which is plugged into a cord wired into an outlet box. If you open the top outlet cover there's a switch to turn on the blower and the bottom one has a single outlet that I plug my heat sealer or blender into (it's really handy to have an outlet there!).

For getting wood cut at the store, you might try 84 Lumber if there's one in your area. They specialize in lumber so they may do a better job with their cuts. Be sure to ask what it costs per cut.

And the little brass fitting seen in the top pic (it's to the right of the blower near the back) is a port for checking the pressure so I can tell when it's time to get a new one.

• Microbe and jrh like this

#66 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,976 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2021 - 11:35 PM

Have a custom cabinet shop cut your wood, no one could possibly do it better. You could sketch something up and they would build it ready to pick up if you wanted.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!