#1 Shaz

Shaz

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 04:21 AM

Hey guyz and galz.
Happy New Year to you all!
A while back I saw a video on YouTube of a guy who had taken one of his opened mushroom caps and placed it directly over a really tiny jar filled with purified water (and then covered it with a glass to avoid contamination) to directly catch the spores into the water... Now I've done this (a couple of months ago) and looks like I was successful with capturing the spores - there doesn't seem to be any nasties in the little jar. Now I can't seem to find that video to watch it again and see how he ends up using this "liquid culture" - does anyone have some advice on how I can now successfully get this into a syringe and use it to start a new grow?
  • Boebs likes this

#2 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,074 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2021 - 05:23 PM

I'd keep my expectations low for those spores if I were you. They really should be drawn up into a syringe as soon as they're in the water. If the jar they're in has spent any time open to unfiltered air (or while not in a SAB) then airborne contaminant spores will have almost certainly ended up in it. They won't reveal themselves in the water until you add some nutrients as in a liquid culture, or if you inoculate something with them.

Check out this subforum for syringe teks: https://mycotopia.ne...shroom-biology/

Read through the threads until you find one you like, then follow it exactly. From there you can go with the PF Tek or make a liquid culture, etc. (there are a bunch of LC teks to pick from, too).

Good luck, and welcome to Mycotopia!

Edited by TVCasualty, 03 January 2021 - 05:24 PM.

• FunG and Shaz like this

#3 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 12:15 PM

Given the method of blocking the flow of outside molds/bacteria by using a jar overtop of it I can see how that would work rather well.

I still prefer printing to sterilized tinfoil squares and storing in baggies until ready for use rather then making a jar of spore solution directly from a cap. That does sound very risky but full proof as well.

If anything, always inoculate a test jar of grains prior to mass inoculations of the spore solution....squirt the solution in a circular motion so that it runs down the outer grains that way when germination occurs you can spot any contamination.... if it's all clean myc then keep it as a master g2g jar and proceed to inoculate the rest :)
  • Shaz likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!