Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Freaky looking mutants or dry/wet bubbles?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hi3rPrime8

Hi3rPrime8

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:25 AM

First attempt at shoeboxes so I know there's probably a lot to critique/adjust/fix but do I have some ugly genetics or some vert or wet bubbles going on?

And if it is vert or wet bubbles, can I cut them out? just ignore them? toss everything?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2551.jpg
  • IMG_2552.jpg
  • IMG_2553.jpg
  • IMG_2554.jpg
  • IMG_2555.jpg

#2 FunG

FunG

"Trump 2021"

• Free Member
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 03:49 PM

To me everything looks fine.

It's just mutations when mushrooms blob out, vert/dry bubble is a fungal disease that will manifest itself in the substrate (growing side by side with myc) it's very noticable. Nothing like that in your pictures.

#3 Hi3rPrime8

Hi3rPrime8

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 05:33 PM

WHEW thanks! So one would know from their jars/bags during colonization if they have wet/dry bubbles?

#4 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 415 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2021 - 05:40 PM

IMO, FunG is partially right: Blobs can sometimes just be mutations. But I also feel like we don't have enough info to make a diagnosis and dismissing possible problems w/o enough information is poor form.

Wet and dry bubble can both cause blobbing, as well as other symptoms. Other things to look out for would be amber droplets on the myc/substrate, split/curling fruits, gray fuzz on your fruits (it looks different from reg myc), and dimples that occur on the fruits.

There isn't much info available about Wet Bubble. But on the PSU Extension page for Dry Bubble, they mention specific growth parameters that slow the development and reduce the number of infected mushrooms:

"It has been reported that a manipulation of the crop environment may reduce the amount of disease development. A reduction in air temperature from 68°F (20°C) to 57°F (14°C) and relative humidity from 90 to 80% for several days decreased the percentage of infected mushrooms (Nair and Macauley, 1986)."

WHEW thanks! So one would know from their jars/bags during colonization if they have wet/dry bubbles?

The Bubbles are not the easiest thing to diagnose, because they show different symptoms depending on when the culture was infected. Take a look at the PSU page I linked above and read through it. There is lots of good info there. Keep posting pics as things develop. Perhaps we can figure out what's going on as things move along.

Edited by HrVanker, 04 January 2021 - 05:44 PM.

• coorsmikey and PJammer24 like this

#5 Hi3rPrime8

Hi3rPrime8

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 08:31 PM

Im guessing it would be beneficial to remove the mutes...? or let them keep growing for further investigation?

• HrVanker likes this

#6 FunG

FunG

"Trump 2021"

• Free Member
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 09:53 PM

Let them keep growing. Mutants I and many others find to be more potent per the dried gram.

Also, it could have just been some accidental exposure to a aresol of some sort, areosals like febreeze, oust, lysol, glad etc will cause mutations. 9-10 that's what it is.

#7 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 415 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:05 PM

Whether it's a mutation or a Bubble, it's fine to leave and eat the blobs. I've had a similar situation myself, and the blobs provided a very nice trip.

#8 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,478 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2021 - 02:40 PM

Im guessing it would be beneficial to remove the mutes...? or let them keep growing for further investigation?

I would just let them go. Verticillium, which causes these bubble issues is fungal so there are already spores floating through the air in your grow room. Unlike Trich, verticillium is considered a nuisance rather than contamination of the type that should be immediately removed from the grow space. Vert will result in aesthetic issues but should not keep your grow from producing all together.

If it were me, I would let it finish unless I see some other glaring issue that is more dire. It seems that a few members reading this thread would like to see additional photos as the project continues, to aid in getting a better bead on the particulars of verticillium (bubble issues) and/or a better diagnosis.

As for potency, often small, stunted mutant mushrooms seem to be more potent, similar to aborts... In my opinion, they are more potent by volume due to the fruits having higher density. I think you will find that they are similar in potency on a gram for gram basis... I believe this may also play a role in PE's reputation for higher potency considering PE fruits are often very dense in comparison to other types of cube.

Edited by PJammer24, 05 January 2021 - 03:00 PM.

• Baphom3t, HrVanker and Hi3rPrime8 like this

#9 Hi3rPrime8

Hi3rPrime8

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 03:21 PM

Ahh gotcha. I skimmed through that article about bubbles the other day but it doesnt say anything about being dangerous or anything. More or less an unwanted phenomenon....

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2564.jpg
  • IMG_2563.jpg
  • IMG_2562.jpg
  • IMG_2561.jpg

• HrVanker likes this

#10 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

I Put That Shit On Everything!

• VIP
  • 665 posts

Donator

Posted 05 January 2021 - 03:38 PM

I've had mutants a few times in a few grows. I have some now with my batch of LK that's started fruiting in the past few days. My first flush in my Maza dub tub had some mutants. Now it's in it's second flush and so far looks better with no signs of mutation. Why it happens could be a number of reasons. Let it flush. Give it some love, the next flush may produce properly with no mutants.

• HrVanker and Hi3rPrime8 like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!