• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 467 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 01:25 PM

Those are considered Self-healing ports, I believe. So you can inject multiple times into the same port.

With my tyvek covered holes I need to replace them and toss my LC usually after one injection. Sometimes I get lucky and keep using the same container, but SHIPS just give you more sterility.

Someone correct me if I've misunderstood those lids.

• HrVanker likes this

#22 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 415 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2021 - 01:39 PM

Those are considered Self-healing ports, I believe. So you can inject multiple times into the same port.

With my tyvek covered holes I need to replace them and toss my LC usually after one injection. Sometimes I get lucky and keep using the same container, but SHIPS just give you more sterility.

Someone correct me if I've misunderstood those lids.

You are right about the SHIP. But I believe they were asking about the red disc filter. The red part is just for FAE while retaining a sterile environment in the jar.

#23 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 711 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 03:49 PM

Drop me a pm and I’ll ship you some. I use these for LCs, grains, and curing cannabis.

Edited by Choices, 08 January 2021 - 03:51 PM.

#24 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2021 - 05:15 PM

IMG_0081.jpg

Best syringe is no syringe. Best port is no port. Best lid is no lid.

These are just recycled apple cider vinegar jars that my wife hordes.  :thumbs_up2:

Just a stir bar inside and a foil lid held down with a silicone o-ring I had laying around. 

Free poured for bags and jars

Works good, no more syringes.

:wub:

• cujoloki, Vikings333 and rockyfungus like this

#25 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 371 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 10:20 AM

&&0){for(var>)throw>

These are just recycled apple cider vinegar jars that my wife hordes.  :thumbs_up2:

Just a stir bar inside and a foil lid held down with a silicone o-ring I had laying around. 

Do you always keep them on the stir plate?

#26 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 371 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 10:33 AM

Ya I need to study up.. the words cloning, and genetics intimidate me. Can you link me some good material to get started? Ill dig through as well

As I mentioned in another post I finally have my own place (roommates still), but I own it and can have stuff where I want it. So now I can more fully dive into this hobby

Typically when we are talking about genetics, we aren't getting to down and dirty with it. We aren't sequencing genes or anything like that, we're just looking at the behavior of the mycelium and trying to select the most vigorous myc in hopes that it fruits prolifically, potently, and quickly. Barring environmental influence this behavior is caused by genetics, so that's how we refer to it.

Cloning isn't really that crazy either. Again, we aren't extracting DNA from a mushroom and inserting it into a spore (which sounds like fun) or any of the things involved in the difficult type of cloning. We are cloning in a similar way to marijuana cultivators: We find mushrooms with desirable traits, sanitize, cut up, and throw on some agar. From there it grows out and we can use it to make new jars of spawn that will hopefully have all the good qualities of the cloned mushroom.

Here are a couple threads by CatsAndBats who has spent a lot of time working with agar:

Cataattack Some Agar (again)

Catattack some Agar 3.0

There is a lot in both threads, but they cover pretty much all the basic agar stuff.

So been doing some reading up. Looks like I need to build a simple flow hood, order some agar supplies and dishes, and take some samples. A few questions.

1. Does it matter what flush the clone comes from? Obviously bigger fruits on the later flushes but same genetics as before?

2. Can you explain the idea of using a MS to start LC and then from there nocing up a jar of grain. Are there multiple "organisms" or "genes" colonizing in the same jar? Is that what we are ultimately trying to isolate to be able to have just one per jar/sub? Does this have significant effect on yields mostly? Im sure my terminology is off but trying to wrap my head around the why before I move on to this.

Thanks!

• HrVanker likes this

#27 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2021 - 05:42 PM

&&0){for(var>)throw>

Do you always keep them on the stir plate?

Yes starting on the second day I keep them on 24/7 @ 50 rpm.

They are ready in about 4 or 5 days later and mad thick. That pic was day one uncolonized. 

Edited by sandman, 10 January 2021 - 05:43 PM.

• Vikings333 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!