#1 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,687 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2021 - 05:50 AM

Welp, the House passed the MORE Act just over a month ago, which would have decriminalized cannabis federally and made other major changes.  It was blocked in the Republican-controlled Senate.  Now the Democrats will have effective control of the Senate, with the Vice President Elect having the tie-breaker vote (Kamala Harris was a sponsor of the bill.)  Now we'll see whether the Democrats actually meant it or if they were just playing a callous game of political football with it. 

https://hightimes.co...lize-marijuana/

This could be huge!  This is the opportunity.  If they "whiff it" I'll never forgive them.

• mushit, coorsmikey, Baphom3t and 5 others like this

#2 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,303 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2021 - 06:53 PM

I thought I heard Biden say he was not really interested in legalizing cannabis.

I have no references on this so I could be all wet.

Here in the north we are lucky to have it legalized.

But the way they are busting grow ops you would think they have a glut of weed.  In fact, they have a shortage of gov't supplied product.  You would think they would hire them instead of busting them.

Backwards fuck tards.

• Sidestreet, Juthro and cujoloki like this

#3 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 8,687 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2021 - 09:06 AM

I also read somewhere that Biden is down on legalization, and it was a big disappointment.  I am heartened by the fact that Harris seems to support it though and I hope she can convince him to sign such a bill into law. 

As for government supplied product, there is currently only one legal source for cannabis for federally-funded researchers.  It's the University of Mississippi, and they are notorious for having terrible product.  At least one researcher is suing now to compel the DEA to issue additional grower licenses, or at least to process the applications they've been sitting on (read "obstruction").

• mushit, Juthro and cujoloki like this

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,114 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2021 - 03:51 PM

I also remember hearing Biden opposed legalising MJ.  It was a statement he made on the campaign trail.  But not being willing to support legalization, and opposing decriminalization enough to veto against both houses of the senate, who are your own party, are not the same thing.  Plus, as SS mentioned above the VP is one of the co-sponsors of the bill.

IMHO, if the senate takes up the vote, and it passes, Biden would sign it into law.

• mushit, Sidestreet, cujoloki and 1 other like this

#5 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 8,687 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2021 - 10:36 AM

The Senate will vote to pass a bill to federally legalize marijuana within the next two years.

That’s according to the top Democratic lawmaker who is expected to be installed as majority leader following his party’s projected clean sweep in this week’s two Georgia runoff elections that will give them control of the chamber.

Coupled with Joe Biden’s presidential win, the new situation on Capitol Hill means that federal cannabis policy change is in the cards for the 117th Congress. While the former vice president has declined to embrace adult-use legalization, he’s pledged to adopt modest reforms such as marijuana decriminalization and expunging past records.

And a push from House and Senate Democratic leadership—who are already on record with pledges to advance far-reaching marijuana reforms—could lead to the comprehensive changes that advocates have been fighting for, including the advancement of a federal cannabis descheduling bill that cleared the House last month.

Presidential politics notwithstanding, it’s always been the case that it would be largely incumbent upon legislators to advance cannabis reform. And the chances of their success in doing so in recent years has hinged largely on the makeup of the Senate.

Because Democrats have now reclaimed control of the chamber, those chances are significantly bolstered. Senate leadership in the 116th Congress had declined repeated opportunities to hold votes on marijuana reform legislation. Outgoing Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) in particular has been an adamant opponent of loosening federal laws on marijuana.

Even modest, bipartisan legislation to protect banks that service cannabis businesses from being penalized by federal regulators had languished in the GOP-controlled Senate after clearing the House multiple times. McConnell’s office recently released a recap of the latest round of coronavirus relief legislation and celebrated its exclusion of the cannabis banking language.

Meanwhile, the most significant piece of cannabis legislation to advance out of the Senate in recent history is the 2018 Farm Bill that contained provisions to federally legalize hemp and its derivatives, which McConnell had championed.

Democrats are now poised to advance any number of more substantial cannabis bills, including those calling for the end of federal marijuana prohibition. Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY), the current top Democrat in the Senate, who is expected to be installed as the majority leader, said in October that he will put his own descheduling bill “on the floor” and that he thinks “we’ll have a good chance to pass it.”

https://www.marijuan...zation-in-2021/

• Myc, Juthro and ElPirana like this

#6 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,018 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2021 - 11:28 AM

I say it's only a matter of time, the dominoes are slowly falling. fingers crossed for ya'll

• Sidestreet likes this

#7 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 697 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2021 - 09:17 PM

I'm counting on it haha!

FWIW I'm pretty sure canabis reform is going to happen late this year or early next year. While it's a big issue for Harris, Biden is somewhat reluctant to the idea so there are some more pressing matters for him like to rejoin the Paris Climate Accord, deal with COVID first before the cannabis reform starts.

• Sidestreet likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!