• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 ideaman

ideaman

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 12:49 PM

So i went to put a few drips of This super old LC onto a few dishes the other day. I didn't realize the syringe was clogged and when i went  to plunge there was an explosion of LC all over the face of my flowhood.

Im kinda freaking out now because all 6 of the dishes i put the lc on are covered in bacteria.

So, my flowhood has to be covered in bacteria.

I have so much work to do and im afraid everything will contaminate when i do my work now.

Edited by ideaman, 10 January 2021 - 12:49 PM.

#2 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 05:59 PM

I don't own a flow hood but remember someone talked about that in a video I've seen.

Some people put a cover over the front area to prevent any collection of dust and contaminants on the front part.

Its been mentioned that other people don't cover it and let it run for 10-20 mins prior to the agar work or inocs and others do spray it with iso before they start

#3 ideaman

ideaman

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 06:43 PM

yeah i'm seeing now that Iso does seem to be acceptable to spray it with.

I guess its not considered a "cleaner"

Anyone think hydrogen peroxide is good since i know its bacteria that got on my filter. 

#4 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 06:53 PM

peroxide will do more damage than iso, iso is good against bacteria

#5 EYMAIOS

EYMAIOS

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 07:19 AM

Every time before working on flowhood I put an ozone generator to supply the flowhood incoming air for 1/2 hour min.

So ozone penetrates the HEPA sterizing it.

Make it an hour for definite kill.

Aerate well the room after application because ozone is bad for breating.

All will be fine!

I would not ever spray HEPA with ISO, strictly forbidden!

Edited by EYMAIOS, 11 January 2021 - 07:21 AM.

#6 ideaman

ideaman

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 09:23 AM

seems like a decent suggestion

ill look into ozone.

I already sprayed my filter with ISO 

#7 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:34 AM

I don't see any reason not to spray the front.

Here a quote from Hamloaf on shroomery:

Yes, spray up in the air so the oust can grab what it can out of it and take it to the ground.  A 99 cent spray bottle and 99 cent bottle of 71% rubbing alcohol is a cost efficient alternative to oust or lysol.  Just mix water and the alcohol into the spray bottle at 1 part alcohol to 10 parts water and use that as you would oust or, lysol.  Wear freshly laundered clothes, take a shower and, brush your teeth just before entering the sterile room.  Also, don't forget to spray the front of the hepa-filter with your oust just before you turn it on.

https://www.shroomer...591218#16591218

Well certainly I've read wrong stuff coming from trusted cultivators on there so those are not all knowing gods, even though some think they are - not specifically talking about hamloaf with this.

But here you get the info how he does it and he works with mushs not only since yesterday.

Iso does not attack the metal front and the fiber either, it completely evaporates within a very short time when the hood is turned on.

Peroxide tho does attack both, fiber and metal, thats why I wouldn't use it.

Keep in mind that you bring new stuff in from outside when you open the window to let ozone out.

You also gotta buy an ozone generator and have to run the hepa quite long prior to your work which both costs extra time and electricity.

Edited by Moby, 11 January 2021 - 10:35 AM.

• ideaman likes this

#8 EYMAIOS

EYMAIOS

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 05:06 AM

If you google HEPA maintenance you will find that spraying ISO is forbitten!
Period!

In using a small cheap Ozone generator as above, you will have enhanced killing bacteria if you cover HEPA face with a loosely attached naylon to allow delayed air exid from the hood.

No big problem after all.

#9 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,053 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:51 PM

i bought a good commercial quality ozone generator on Amazon .

it listed for about $75  but i got it for $ 65 because  the outer box was smooched a bit ..the  Ozone generator was unaffected because there was several inch's of styrafoam to protect it .

. i rotate the generator threw each room in my house every month or so to kill mold , mold spores , bacteria and skin mites ect ,

so my house is a more healthy environment . ..

IMPORTANT ! remember  no pets , house plants or you in room being treated with ozone .let it dissipate 30 or 40 min before you enter room , .

it also gets rid of almost any  nasty difficult Smells 

,  .

In my  clean room i run ozone  ,  for cpl hours , occasionally just make sure its clean .

.Before working/running laminar i  run a  room size hepa first then turn on ozone and laminar for a bit . then wait a while for ozone to dissipate before going into room to work .

The generator paid for itself first hour i ran it . an insurance co cleanup will charge you up to and over $100 per hour to treat your home to get rid of nasty odors . 

A friend bought nice car cheap because it smelled so nasty like cross between  1000 packs cigs an a dead animal. . we ran the ozone in it for a few hours twice . to get rid of smell.

BEZ

Edited by bezevo, 12 January 2021 - 01:52 PM.

• sandman likes this

#10 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:03 PM

If you google HEPA maintenance you will find that spraying ISO is forbitten!
Period!

In using a small cheap Ozone generator as above, you will have enhanced killing bacteria if you cover HEPA face with a loosely attached naylon to allow delayed air exid from the hood.

No big problem after all.

I did a google check and it only says to not spray cleaning agents directly into the hepa.

Iso is not like soap or anything comparable, it evaporates completely.

Not only on the shroomery post I've seen that people spray their hoods with iso.

Another thing here is that he spilled LC on the flow hood and definately had to clean and desinfect properly

#11 ZeelandGrower

ZeelandGrower

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 10:34 AM

I spray the front of my hood regularly with 70% and never had a problem (or contaminates).

#12 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,074 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2021 - 02:40 PM

I've never sprayed my filters/flow hood with anything, and don't intend to start. IMO it is totally superfluous so long as the flow hood is used and maintained properly.

I'm not a fan of breathing lingering cleaning product vapor and it's not going to make the difference between success and failure unless maybe the filter has been severely compromised by a spill or other unusual circumstance. And even then, if something that supports mold growth contaminated the face of a flow hood filter then a topical spritz of alcohol or Oust isn't likely to do much to fix it, especially if it got deep into the pleats where it can't really be cleaned out.

Also, if using alcohol then there's a potential for a flash fire until it all evaporates, which is a serious concern if using a Bunsen burner or other open flame source to sterilize tools and it's lit too soon. People have put themselves in the hospital by blowing up their glove boxes this way.

IME no arbitrary cleaning rituals can come close to the effectiveness of mastering fast and efficient sterile technique.

I call them "arbitrary" because I've not seen anyone actually conduct any rigorous experiments to see if there's anything useful or effective about them at all. It just seems like a good idea and makes intuitive sense, so people do it.

But a lot of things that make intuitive sense aren't true and there's only one reliable way to find out what's what.

I'd also rather have more grows fail than I might otherwise if it means I'm able to minimize the use and inhalation of chemicals that are problematic to inhale even at relatively low levels of exposure (which can add up over the course of many grows). Successfully growing mushrooms is nice, but maintaining good health is arguably even better.

Be careful!

• sandman, coorsmikey, Coopdog and 1 other like this

#13 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,872 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2021 - 11:58 AM

Buy some chlorine dioxide and gas the room, it will clean your hood and room both inside and out.

https://www.biocides...p-bundle-4-pack
  • sandman and TVCasualty like this

#14 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 11:15 AM

"Another thing here is that he spilled LC on the flow hood and definately had to clean and desinfect properly"

Not talking about only spraying it and done.

I don't want to sound like an asshole but who would saturate the hood in Iso, put a burner infront, sit down and turn the thing on?

I was specifically replying to the situation that LC was spilled on the front of the hood and therefore would use Iso to clean it by spraying and wiping, not as a ritual prior to doing agar work or inocs

Edited by Moby, 07 February 2021 - 11:16 AM.

#15 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,074 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2021 - 10:31 AM

I don't want to sound like an asshole but who would saturate the hood in Iso, put a burner infront, sit down and turn the thing on?

I was specifically replying to the situation that LC was spilled on the front of the hood and therefore would use Iso to clean it by spraying and wiping, not as a ritual prior to doing agar work or inocs

You might have been referring only to that specific context (cleaning up a spill), but yours wasn't the only comment on the practice and you alluded to others who "spray it with iso before they start."

We never know who is going to slip up until it happens. And it will happen to someone at some point just like how people have messed themselves up pretty bad in similar glove box mishaps. It's likely to be exceedingly rare, but the "Darwin Awards" are still a thing year after year for a reason and if people start thinking that disinfecting their flow hood with alcohol is something they need to do regularly as part of their usual routine then the chances of it happening go up considerably.

Also, we don't know something until we know it which can be a real problem in contexts like this. For example some people learn how to do extractions in forums instead of actual Chemistry classes, and "everybody" knows that you NEVER pour water into concentrated acid to dilute it, it's ALWAYS the other way around. Everybody, that is, except those who haven't learned this yet. If someone in that situation follows a tek that omits that little detail then they might end up having a really bad day even though they followed all of the instructions to the letter.

Edited by TVCasualty, 08 February 2021 - 10:32 AM.

• sandman, EYMAIOS and rockyfungus like this

#16 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,872 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2021 - 05:05 PM

I would also like to add that vertical hoods don't have issues with spillage. If you've got a fan filter unit you can easily turn it vertical.
  • sandman likes this

#17 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 08:10 AM

You might have been referring only to that specific context (cleaning up a spill), but yours wasn't the only comment on the practice and you alluded to others who "spray it with iso before they start."

We never know who is going to slip up until it happens. And it will happen to someone at some point just like how people have messed themselves up pretty bad in similar glove box mishaps. It's likely to be exceedingly rare, but the "Darwin Awards" are still a thing year after year for a reason and if people start thinking that disinfecting their flow hood with alcohol is something they need to do regularly as part of their usual routine then the chances of it happening go up considerably.

Also, we don't know something until we know it which can be a real problem in contexts like this. For example some people learn how to do extractions in forums instead of actual Chemistry classes, and "everybody" knows that you NEVER pour water into concentrated acid to dilute it, it's ALWAYS the other way around. Everybody, that is, except those who haven't learned this yet. If someone in that situation follows a tek that omits that little detail then they might end up having a really bad day even though they followed all of the instructions to the letter.

"and you alluded to others who "spray it with iso before they start."

Thats correct.

The OG question was "Can i spray 70% iso on my flowhod?"

the quoting from shroomery was only to show that people do that, not to say its a necessary thing to do.

I understand tho that it can be interpreted the way you got it.

__

Not really interested in arguing with you, we're in the same boat and I understand what you said.

Just felt like clarifying my intention.

I had to defend myself against peoples "opinions" on multiple threads now where guys who don't even know the basics properly accused me of talking BS while their own statements were old and/or simply wrong info.

I'm mostly here to help, of course also to learn but right now very low on energy and barely active so I just check in to reply to dm's or put a comment out to help.

I'm not a pro pro but semi pro and know alot of things.

Things like that when it looks like I talk crap scratch my (still low) repution and I dont want to be categorized as trash talker.

____

Again, we're in the same boat and I get what you're saying

#18 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,022 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2021 - 11:41 AM

Don't spray your hepa filter with anything ever. 

Maybe you can, but you shouldn't

People like hamloaf do and say dumb shit all the time. RIP though hamloaf was a cool cat with lots of good input over a long time nothing personal!

I wouldnt trust someone that says they never had a contam at all either lol what kind of dumb shit is that to say... so great you havent been growing for more than 12 seconds.

Edited by sandman, 13 February 2021 - 11:44 AM.

#19 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,022 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2021 - 11:46 AM

You have to throw this filter away now if it starts giving you problems,

the only thing that could work is the ozone (my man Gazebo for the win)  or other gas sterilization like formaldehyde (dangerous) or whatever kc was talking about i never used that.

Spraying alcohol is not effective against a soaked fabric. A lot of the cleaning of alcohol comes from the mechanical wiping it is not good for porous surfaces that can't be wiped.

Edited by sandman, 13 February 2021 - 12:01 PM.

• bezevo likes this

#20 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 10:47 AM

I feel like clarifying again what was meant with that "I'm not a pro pro but semi pro and know alot of things.

Things like that when it looks like I talk crap scratch my (still low) repution and I dont want to be categorized as trash talker."

I just cant stand when people join a conversation and turn my words into something that I've never said or meant.

In my first sentence I also mentioned that I don't own a flowhood and I refer to the quoted statement from shroomery and a Video I've seen where someone talked about spraying it prior to the work - tried to find the video again but decided to not check more videos after the third wrong one.

Again this doesn't mean that I agree with the practice to spray it prior to any work.

I personally would cover the hood for when not in use and turnn the thing on for 10-15mins before doing any work and not spray the thing.

The quote was just to show that people do that and have no problems, to assume that I suggest to do that is just an assumption and not what I did.

"I'm not a pro pro but semi pro and know alot of things" - I wouldn't write that again if I could go back in time.

People start arguing and interpret things like I'm a complete idiot and I felt like clarifying that I know some sh*t and to put me into this "you've said this and that" - which is not what I said, scratches my credibility (reputation - should've not used the word reputation).

"Spraying alcohol is not effective against a soaked fabric"

Partly right I'd say.

If the fabric is already dried then yes its pretty much useless, he here tho freshly spilled LC onto the front and then worked with the hepa. To spray it right afterwards makes sure to not spread any bacteria from the still wet fabric by simply killing them all with alcohol.

"RIP though hamloaf"

Did he pass or was the RIP just because he talks shit ?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!