69 replies to this topic

#21 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,022 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2021 - 07:10 PM

No offense but maybe you shouldn't be commenting so confidently on things you have absolutely no knowledge or experience of...

Spray it right after its still got plenty of food to grow mold after the alcohol evaporates and it's still wet as hell with LC and you've also just spiked the pH now making it even more favorable to molds to grow

accomplishing fuck all and still having a trash filter

Get a ozone generator, put a big as tent around the filter and nuke the fuck out of it for a while that would be your best bet.

But in sad reality, this poor chap has likely destroyed his filter if it was really soaked like it was made out to be.

Edited by sandman, 14 February 2021 - 07:35 PM.

#22 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 06:33 AM

"maybe you shouldn't be commenting so confidently on things you have absolutely no knowledge or experience of..."

I generally agree with that, tho I did comment here because exactly this topic has crossed my way in the last time multiple times and what I did read and see that its ok to spray with iso, coming from people who do that and have no problems, while I until this thread didn't see the opposite.

I don't regret trying to help a member of the community and I wouldn't have commented here to just throw a useless assumption in here.

You're trying to shut me up man, please differentiate between throwing useless shit into a thread and picking up possibly wrong info from other experienced growers. Again with the intention to help.

I mentioned from the beginning that I don't own a flowhood, I didn't join a thread and claimed to own something and just talked shit.

"Spray it right after its still got plenty of food to grow mold after the alcohol evaporates and it's still wet as hell with LC"

thats right BUT spraying it directly after he spilled the LC kills everything on it (in the moment and for this working session) and prevents that the hood covers the whole project in bacteria.

I'm tired of arguing, said all I needed to say to explain how things are meant.

#23 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,022 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2021 - 08:18 AM

You see this is the problem here Mr Moby.

It's Not yOUR fucking filter that you are telling some poor sap to ruin so why should you care if you are saying accurate information?

I'm trying to help the dude with something I know about you are just googling and reading anything that sticks.

This is the problem with the OMC nowadays. All these people think they know everything because there is so much to google about it now and theyh talk like they are experts but have never done anything

Guess what we were always just doing stupid experiments on the OMC so just because you find a thread saying something no matter how confident doesnt mean anything.

Take this thread for example, some noob comes and reads this and now thinks that you can spray your filter with alcohol to salvage a massive LC spill? NO

If you take an LC and fill it half with Alcohol and spill it in your carpet its going to mold.

I dont really care if you are all butthurt that I called out your bad advice. As long as whoever reads this knows that spritzing your LC soaked flowhood isnt going to save it, cry me a river

If you want to prov me wrong, since youa're so confident, go ahead and mix up and LC and then fill it with half 70% alcohol and then spill it on your carpet and report bacak in 2 months on what your carpet looks like please.

Edited by sandman, 15 February 2021 - 08:37 AM.

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#24 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 08:40 AM

"It's Not yOUR fucking filter that you are telling some poor sap to ruin so why should you care if you are saying accurate information?"

"If you take an LC and fill it half with Alcohol and spill it in your carpet its going to mold."

You again take things out of context, I've already explained everything multiple times.

I didn't fuck his filter up by telling him that other people do spray theirs with iso and have no problems.

Whats the purpose of your last sentence ?

You're just running around here starting fights.

Don't act like I'm talking shit all the time because I commented something that I saw multiple experienced people do without problems.

Things here go into a direction where I think about leaving because the way people are treated is not ok.

To have conversations where people constantly take things out of context and construct a new situation thats completely different to the actual situation just to win an argument is exhausting. This shit forces me to explain myself over and over because things were not meant this way.

Put your dick back in and just talk on one level and not from above.

To call people butthurt is typical bully behavior, I just don't agree with how you try to make things look like, that doen't mean I'm not open to criticism, I just don't accept when people just attack for no reason and change things for their argument

Edited by Moby, 15 February 2021 - 08:46 AM.

• coorsmikey likes this

#25 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,022 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2021 - 08:51 AM

Here a tip: If you have to google an answer, you dont belong answering it

people dont come here for your google answer they come here to ask someone a real question

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#26 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,022 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2021 - 08:58 AM

And it may look like I am being a right old prick to a couple of people and you'd be right. I have been on this site for nearly 20 years and I hope to bring it back to the respectable place in the OMC that we once stood by running out rapscallions or at least being the devils advocate to the nonsense.

That being said dont FUCKING SPRAY YOUR HOOD

#27 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 09:59 AM

The only thing I googled was this "If you google HEPA maintenance you will find that spraying ISO is forbitten!"

because the dude in the beginning told me I'd see that iso spraying is a no no, the result was that I didn't find anything about iso but "cleaning agents".

Don't want to reroll that again, just to tell you that I didn't google anything to comment on this thread.

I'm not running around googling answers for other peoples threads, this specific topic just like I said crossed my way a couple times in the last time and I was just randomly online and saw his thread and felt like answering.

I'm not even trying to argue against you, the only thing I disagree is that spraying it directly after the spill happened gives him the opportunity to at least do this working session without bacteria blown everywhere.

When the hepa runs for a while, it dries everything out and on dry fabric there won't grow any bacteria or mold, they both need moisture to survive and grow.

The hepa is still messed up because there is dried stuff blocking the air stream at some points.

To say something about the situation in the forum.

I totally understand what you're saying and agree.

On the albino and the crossing thread I've had annoying conversations with people who claimed to know things that are just bullshit.

Over multiple pages of both threads I tried to explain some things and nobody stepped in, even though these guys were obviously spreading completely wrong stuff.

This went for a while and only after I've asked for help on one thread "Nicked" stepped in and gave me some support.

There were nobody of the mods or you to stop this nonsense.

Now tho all of you guys came out of nowhere from 0 to 100 and shit on everyone, while before that nobody said anything.

I understand that its exhausting to correct people all the time but from 0 to 100 + rage mode is a little rough IMHO.

I joined this community because of two of the rules here "be respectful" and "no bad advice".

Coming from a platform named DMTworld, I was fed up with bullshitting people, both mind games and antisocial bullies and trashtalking wannabe teachers who know shit about anything.

Shortly after my validation I realized that the "no bad advice" rule is not taken seriously here, at least it was respectful.

Now you want to eliminate that part by breaking the second rule.

The climate changed, thats not only my perception.

A big part of what makes this place different to shroomery is the level of respect, seriously shroomery is disgusting.

By going full force to eliminate everyone with a different opinion tho this changes into something else.

Again, I totally agree that wrong stuff should be corrected because other people read that and possibly pick up bullshit, which nobody wants, we gotta find a middle way tho.

• sandman, Microbe and bezevo like this

#28 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,022 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2021 - 10:47 AM

I can respect most of what you are saying man, just stop trying to push that alcohol spray thing even now lol.

And about the gentics thread, I really really know what you mean but I am not enough of a genetic expert to dispute that but I have wanted to because I know there is more to it than that at least. But since I'm out of my wheelhouse on that topic I haven't really said anything. I think it's convoluting to have everyone making thse so called crosses all over the place. None of it is verified it's all just talk. Genetics are a little mysterious to me I was busy chasing nani in science class. WHERES THE FUCKING SNAKE VENOM YOU PANSIES!!!!  :tongue:

Edited by sandman, 15 February 2021 - 10:51 AM.

• Moby likes this

#29 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 873 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 10:55 AM

Screw snake venom, that's so early 2000's IIRC. It's all about gamma radiation and voodoo dolls.
Also mycellium are super sensitive so if you yell at them enough they will cross without radiation/venom. :rolleyes:

• sandman likes this

#30 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,074 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2021 - 10:58 AM

By going full force to eliminate everyone with a different opinion tho this changes into something else.

I hope that that's not what's happening. Eliminating bad info, and discouraging people from posting more of it and running them off if they persist is an essential part of site maintenance. The trick is parsing factual opinions from non-factual opinions. This is a context where not all opinions are equal in many cases. If there's a choice between diplomacy and maintaining factual accuracy I would hope that we err on the side of accuracy as that's the primary mission of this site.

Some are of the opinion that going from spores to agar to grain or LC is the way to go and others prefer spores to BRF to grain. In that case, both opinions are valid and one is not "more right" than the other and either preference can work just fine. It's when someone advocates something far outside the norm such as skipping the verm layer in BRF jars (which I've seen before) or inoculating grain in open-air, or growing on fertilizer-infused dish scrubbers where offering outlier opinions equal time and consideration becomes problematic.

• sandman, Juthro and Moby like this

#31 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 12:57 PM

Sandman, if it makes you happy - FUCK SPRAYING FLOWHOODS WITH ISO

The crossing thing.

I partly agree with that.

I would suggest everyone to use one part leucistic or albino genetic thrown together with a "classic cube".

It otherwise really is hard to definately say what happened is a cross.

While I like the thread because there is some good info of the "how to" but I've also commented my concern there that possibly people will see that, try it and spread all kinds of fake crosses because they think they got something.

Yes the theory behind it is not scientificly proven but what can you say against obviously mixed fruits and to rub spores together in whatever way it is, on agar or swabs, to raise the chances of cross breeding is understandable and nothing too crazy.

____

Yea TV we don't need to argue about that at all, I can differentiate between different opinions = different (correct) ways to do things that all lead to the same end, and just wrong stuff OR unnecessary (stupid) risky stuff that maybe can work sometimes but most likely wont.

"By going full force to eliminate everyone with a different opinion"

this part I could have worded a little better, yea.

FunG got beaten up out of nowhere, not only for the shit he spreads but also for the diluted spore syringe.

What I tried to say with my comment on this thread is that the practice of diluting spores might generally not be something many people would do but there is at least one situation that I can imagine where this actually makes sense - when people do alot of MS inocs and/or don't do any agar.

That was his opinion and he got a beating for it. (I'm aware that the OG topic was somet, he might have just read it wrong - other people started talking about off topic stuff aswell, like starting from spores)

Had that in mind when I talked about "eliminating opinions" and worded it a little too general.

____

Enough of that for today lol, I feel high from all that thinking and typing, translating is still not the easiest thing to do for me.

#32 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,255 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2021 - 01:55 PM

Seems to be a pretty fair system to me, if your going to make claims outside the norms of the established members be prepared to back it up with some experience, and if you want to get anywhere provide some proof via photo's. The older members should get the benefit of the doubt around here and rightly so if they are to stop the flow of bad advice. I generally stay away from mushroom advice due to the fact that I don't know what the fuck am talking about, it easy to trip up and make a fool of oneself by referencing something I never actually tested or experienced. Instead the information one often pushes is borrowed or read or watched in a video somewhere,  that becomes the established knowledge.

For me personally everything I knew starting out came from a pamphlet I got in the mail and so all my mushrooms basics were formed. Most of it has been questioned and or disputed so it was an easy learning experience that I shouldn't be talking about what I don't truly understand

We have this same issue at work sometimes where younger guy's get upset that their voice isn't being heard or respected, you say, dude you just have to put the time in, there is no other way to get there. Trust takes time

Earning trust of others goes a long way when looking to dole out advice. Especially considering the wise level of experience around here, and their bad ass photo's of myceluim to back up what they are saying.

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 15 February 2021 - 01:56 PM.

#33 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,632 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2021 - 07:21 AM

Im going to say follow the manufactures advice but i spray my filter guard and filter all the time with the thought process that the air flow dries it out while ISO does not damage the integrity of the filter. I could be wrong but i have been doing this since i owned my first flow hood. For fuck sakes, just look at me, im a fucking criminal!

If you spray your filter, you could be fucking it up. Just want to put that out there so im not perceived as giving bad advice.

My meme is funny AF

Attached Thumbnails

• 4yi602.jpg

Edited by Microbe, 18 February 2021 - 07:24 AM.

• coorsmikey and Moby like this

#34 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,022 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2021 - 07:53 AM

It's one thing to spritz the surface a little bit before working Micobe,

This guy was basically told to soak his filter in hopes of saving it FROM A MASSIVE LC SPILL

Your light spritzing is a harmless waste of time to make yourself feel better, but what they were saying was not going to SAVE HIS FILTER.

How do I know that spraying a laminar filter is a waste of time? Because I have been in real professional shops and they never do it, never did it, no need to do it.

There are countless LFH training videos by labs and corporations and schools that don't begin with "now to start, spray your filter surface with alcohol" They all just let it run for some time first or never turn off.

How do I know that spraying a laminar filter wont save it from being soaked LC? Because I have a basic understanding of how rubbing alcohol and contamination and porous surfaces work. Anyone can go spill LC in their carpet and pour all the alcohol you want on it I dare you!

I don't think his filter would have been damaged or harmed much from the spritzing, I do not think that it would achieve anything desired at all and the filter would still be trash. 

Ozone machine +  bag =  maybe fixed. Alcohol + spray = no

I think the proper order of events to stop the filter from being ruined would have been to first dry the filter completely by running it nonstop for days, then bagging a ozone generator.

Or maybe just running it with the ozone generator emitting near the intake of the hood for many many days.

Do let us now whatever happens to the filter OP. Might just turn out OK after all who knows? 

Maybe the original spill wasn't as dramatic as the OP was leading on.

Edited by sandman, 18 February 2021 - 08:33 AM.

#35 ideaman

ideaman

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 08:51 AM

Hey all, That was fun to come back to.

Just figured i would update. I did originally lightly mist my filter face before working. I did so probably for the next  4-6 times after the incident. Then stopped because it was ridiculous.   I have poured over 100 plates, done dozens of transfers and made a few dozen g2g jars since then.

My contam rate is in between 5-10%.  Bacteria every-time. 

This hepa lasted me 10 years. Even if it's fixable it's time for me to upgrade. I just bought a new  24X30  

• sandman, coorsmikey and Cuboid like this

#36 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 09:44 AM

"Earning trust of others goes a long way when looking to dole out advice. Especially considering the wise level of experience around here, and their bad ass photo's of myceluim to back up what they are saying."

Here some recent grows in 19 and 33qt tubs.

Some Thai

IMG_20200805_100955.jpg

This is what the pinset would have looked like but many aborted after I tried a 3% peroxide spray because the casing wasn't clean.

IMG_20200801_133025.jpg

Some "MS" Transkei (one transfer after MS on plate)

IMG_20200424_204519.jpg

Some PE6 (one transfer after MS)

IMG_20200110_201010.jpg

PE6 clone plate

IMG_20200209_181425.jpg

Here some of the senesced cultures that I'm currently working on to get them back on track

IMG_20210213_192037_725.jpg

Enigma and leucistic cambo

Some albino burma

IMG_20201215_224752_204.jpg

I don't run around and post my grows to show how big my peepee is, I don't even take pictures of all things I do.

Everything I post has some context attached like an experiment or reinvigoration of a culture etc.

I see that everyone needs to get reputation to be a respected member of the community, I just don't feel like getting to that point by just posting pictures of grows to prove what I'm able to do.

Well I kind of do it right now because of your comment here.

I just showed a small piece of whats going on.

Over many threads theres my setup, stone harvests and experiments spreaded, just not pressed into a single thread and always just to show, explain or talk about something I tried or figured out.

My goal is not to isolate badass strains and post pictures of those grows to feel cool, mostly I do experiments of different kinds trying different bulk supplements, extractions, rebulk of spent tubs, different moisture contends in bulks etc.

I don't sell any mushrooms and don't need to produce any more fruits than I have right now, got enough for 4 lifes vacuumated.

Main priority is to collect, cultivate and spread genetic in europe because the amount of available varieties here is compared to the states a joke.

Enough of that lol

Made the mistake to post on too many threads and can't keep up with all of them

#37 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 09:49 AM

"This guy was basically told to soak his filter in hopes of saving it FROM A MASSIVE LC SPILL"

I don't fully agree with that but at the same time really are not interested in warming up that terrible cold soup again.

#38 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,022 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2021 - 10:04 AM

What a neat bunch of unrelated pics that don't have anything to do with the thread, and a nice whiney self wounded little write up there moby.

Please point out one bit of anytrhing in your last two posts that has anything to do with the OPs thread?

We were talking about the merits of spraying alcohol on a filter to save it from an LC spill, turns out I was right in the end verified by OP. 

You just want us to know you know some things or two, great good for you.

I'm sure you are a good grower. Now if you could just learn when to be quiet or stay on topic. What in the name of all that is holy was your last 2 posts if not a sad little attempt at showing your peepee?

#39 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 10:42 AM

What I see coming from you in the forum is the ranting of a frustrated, antisocial "alpha male".

"

To force me to swallow everything and tell me "Now if you could just learn when to be quiet", really is all I need to know.

Keep spreading your toxic shit around and poison the community.

Whatever.

You're one step closer to your goal, I'm out ffs, you're sucking the last bit of energy out of me to push your giant ego.

#40 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,022 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2021 - 10:52 AM

But what are you doing by showing me all your pics I am genuinely wanting to know? 

I don't want you to swallow anything, you keep on coming in here and poking me over and over. There wasnt even any need for you to have made those last two posts because no one was even addressing you at all.

I am attacking the idea of spraying alcohol, you are attacking my character. That's the sure sign of a loser to me.

Make sure to get some tissues with the lotion on it for your tears.

Edited by sandman, 18 February 2021 - 10:54 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!