• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 timothywyllie

timothywyllie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 03:20 PM

So I've read a bunch on this site and even bought one of Stamet's books.  I started with "magic for the masses" which is great.  My question is pretty simple.  I know brown rice flour(brf) and vermiculite make a great standard for a substrate.  I just read the hpoo tek on the "best of" page.  Before this hobby, about the only thing I knew about some mushrooms is their affinity for manure.  So which is the best way of growing mushrooms when all you're worried about is quality and quantity?  

• Sidestreet likes this

#2 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:07 PM

Growing on BRF/vermiculite cakes ("PF tek") is the easiest, most reliable way for a beginner to start growing Psilocybe cubensis. After you have a few successful grows with that style, you might want to start growing on manure, straw, or other bulk substrates - bulk methods can produce higher yields per time spent, but also require more skill with aseptic procedures.

So, if you're just getting started, PF tek cakes, like in magic for the masses, are the way to go.

#3 timothywyllie

timothywyllie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:15 PM

Thanks moon,

I thought the answer might be that simple.

#4 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:23 PM

Even if your doing PF cakes ...it's just all around good idea in this hobby to get a pressure cooker and learn how to sterilize. They are cheap, easy to find and not hard to learn. As a bonus you can use them for their proscribed use and actually can food. Yes, it can be done without a PC (pressure cooker) but that requires a whole new learning curve and a bunch of cleanliness procedures/protocols. Plenty of thread on here for how to use one, why to use one.

No pressure... :meditate:

• Juthro and rockyfungus like this

#5 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 12:48 AM

If you want to dabble with grains and dont have a pressure cooker. Popcorn (food grade) does not require to be sterilized at 15psi.

You can steam popcorn like you would pfcakes with a pot and a lid and be 100% successful.

If you have horse manure on hand then cheers cause the pit fall to popcorn is that it does not yield as much as other whole grains like rye and wbs but I'm sure it would do much better on horse manure then a non nutricious substrate like coir.

But the best advice here is to invest in a pressure cooker so that you can use other whole grains like rye and wbs, cause 1qt of either is like using 6qts of popcorn.
  • southernblues likes this

#6 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2021 - 03:03 AM

A no PC popcorn tek that works without contam 100% of the time?

Wow! Sign me up...

Could you please link to this tek.  Thanks in advance.

• coorsmikey and Juthro like this

#7 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 09:36 AM

There isnt a tek for it.

Popcorn unlike many other whole grains is a food grade product. It doesnt contain the bacteria "bacillus" that is found in many other whole grains.

The prep is simple
Soak the popcorn in hot water for 12-24 hours

Poor into a colander once expanded

Rinse (although it doesnt require one cause that's how clean popcorn is)

Let drain

Load into jars and place them in a large pot with the water going half way up the jars and just boil/steam them like you would pf cakes.

I stumbled across this by accident when for a entire year I wasnt using my pressure cooker properly (as embarrassing as that is theres also a reason behind it and that was a different style weight regulator that just pops up when at over pressure) but anyways.
Yea, never once did I have popcorn under 15psi, the pressure was continuously venting the entire time but still, the popcorn came out sterile and good for use minus sometimes I encountered yeast specs which is harmless in low amounts but can cause stress on mycelium in higher concentrations which leads to mutations.

I've got a ton of pictures of popcorn grows done in the manner described. Another member that goes by the name oam can also contest to what I have said.

#8 yonicrisis

yonicrisis

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 02:42 PM

Interesting thread... I'm also beginning and have read the favorite PF Tek, but since i didn't have vermiculite at hand spawned spores in brown rice jars... and now was wondering if they could fruit straight from the grain... I't seems it will always need this cassing, humidy buffer or something right? i've added a layer of coco coir on some jars, and after a almost 2 weeks begun getting some pinnings. (in my 'despair' for getting pins removed the light covering, and have gotten lots of pins within the jar and some of them aborting  :mellow: ... Trial and error  :rolleyes:

#9 terbium

terbium

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 09:41 PM

Many decades ago, when I would grow psilocybe mycelium, I would use whole grain brown rice. Why are people using rice flour with vermiculite?

#10 Enjoil

Enjoil

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 07:09 PM

Cuz it works also...

#11 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,799 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2021 - 04:37 PM

Many decades ago, when I would grow psilocybe mycelium, I would use whole grain brown rice. Why are people using rice flour with vermiculite?

I don't know, but my guess would be that grinding the rice into flour creates more surface area and therefore more nutrient availability.  I'd be interested to see a side-by-side grow using the two different methods, but since I know brown rice flour works great, I probably wouldn't take the time to do it.

#12 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,053 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2021 - 06:21 PM

Here is my tip/Advice  ............ If you follow  MAGIC FOR THE MASSES TO A .....  "T" .......IT WILL WORK .

Most of the time ..........as soon as you start skipping steps or  inventing steps  , you  chances of failure  compound exponentially ...!

And as SideStreet  said ...Best thing you can do is  Get a  pressure cooker, learn how to use it SAFELY . to sterilize .

. i bought my two PC at thrift stores .I tested them replaced any parts , so tey are safe work great .

Bez

Edited by bezevo, 04 April 2021 - 06:23 PM.

• Sidestreet likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!