• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dedonthevine2112

Dedonthevine2112

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 07:30 PM

I've been trying out a new sub recipe from good source and I'm having an issue with hydration. I mix together coir and manure and hydrate to field capacity. It looks very wet to my eyes but when I do the squeeze test only a few drops come out. Once it is inoculated, I get a decent amount of liquid around the bottom and large drops of water on top of the mycelium on top of the sub in bags. Should I be leaving the mix a little dryer? is it normal to get water inside the bags and in droplet form on top the exposed mycelium layer?

I greatly appreciate the help.   

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,530 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2021 - 08:31 PM

If you're using manure out of the bag I would most definitely suggest going a lil dryer. That stuff is like mud and goes anaerobic on you really quick when its that wet. Getting moisture on top usually is normal and can be more evident with temperature fluctuations. Best way I have found to get coir/bag manure just right is to hang to drip dry in a pillow case or similar for about 8 hours. Sounds like you are using bags that are most likely being cooked in a PC so you would have to dial in the moisture just right before hand which you could still use the pillowcase idea then load into bags. Are you asking because of noticeable pooling of water or are your bags stalling out mid colonization?

• sandman and PJammer24 like this

#3 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:00 PM

Manure out of a bag I always mixed with an even part of vermiculite before wetting and then the same measure of coir already hydrated, sometimes even half coir. Even field aged cow manure I didn’t care for too much. The bag stuff definitely goes muddy. If I’m only growing cubes that’s my sub with a little gypsum. Everything else gets no manure or horse manure as do cubes if I’m making subs for multiple species.

#4 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,478 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:01 PM

I second the pillow case method suggested by Mikey. I typically leave the bag to drain over night or approximately 8-10 hours as suggested. you can also use mesh laundry bags that are available on the cheap at good ole wally world.

You mention, that when squeezed, a few drips will come from your substrate... In my opinion, the sub is at its best when you struggle to get 1-2 drips when squeezed. Any more than that and you are likely too wet.

#5 FunG

FunG

"Trump 2021"

• Free Member
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 12:52 AM

I prefer the mesh laundry bags over pillow cases I find they drain and dry better using mesh.

#6 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,856 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2021 - 07:57 AM

Since you are presumably sterilizing unicorn bags of substrate and then spawning them, there really isn't any need to involve any pillowcases or laundry bags straining.

I have found that simply hanging a laundry bag or pillow case to drip leaves to sub way wet. It really needs to be pressed or stepped on a little also if going that really wet route, what an extra mess

You should be able to mix your manure/coir up in a tray or tote where you are adding water and any other additives like verm, and add dry verm from the bag while squeezing to get it just right.

Or if not using verm, maybe grab from a drier bit of coir to add to bring the moisture down if needed.

Let it sit a few minutes after adding stuff to let moisture equalize before squeezing. Go for one or two drops not a stream.

Then load your unicorn bags and pc or whatever you are doing with em.

Edited by sandman, 15 January 2021 - 08:04 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!