• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 timothywyllie

timothywyllie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 09:00 PM

Let's say I had one 1 spore syringe that I wanted to expand for experiments and save for the future use. For fun I was going to make 1 liquid culture, 1 agar plate and 1 slant to store a little longer term. Is that how you would do it? Should I make more than one of each in case I contaminate one?

#2 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 748 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2021 - 09:19 PM

If I were you I would also make some grain jars. My favorite way to save genetics is to make prints and its worth it to have some of those around aswell as the agar.

More plates wouldn't hurt if you have the space. I like to do three to make my chances of a good transfer higher.

#3 smellitstinknot

smellitstinknot

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:55 PM

Well not necessarily the way I'd do it as I only bother to preserve good genetics. I'd start out with agar first. Inoculate at least 3-5 plates to begin with since some may never take or contaminate before you have a chance to transfer. Do at least 1 transfer away before moving clean growth to lc, grain or slant if that's your intention. If you want to hurry things along for fruits while you're making transfers you could also whip up some brf cakes at the same time.

#4 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,987 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:37 AM

I wouldn't do one agar plate or slant or liquid culture

I would start about 10 agar plates from 10 drops of the syringe and then refrige syringe.

Then select 1 absolute best of the 10 germination plates. From that one plate I would make at least 5 transfers to new plates, T2.

Then after those 5 plates grow a little, make a liquid culture from the best section of each plate, these will be MS but still good strains as you have visually selected good growth this far.

Use the 5 liquid cultures to inoc grain and fruit to find ideal specimens. Select the 5 best ideal specimens and make tissue clones on 5 agar plates. 

After those 5 tissue clone plates grow halfway out, make slants of each and as many transfers as you want from there, can be many dozen.

• coorsmikey, PJammer24, cujoloki and 2 others like this

#5 timothywyllie

timothywyllie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:44 PM

Thanks guys. I love the ideas.

#6 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 12:46 AM

If it's a spore syringe you have and you wish to create more spore solution you can also always just dilute the syringe into a sterilized jar of water (250/500ml) most spore syringes should dilute fairly well just dont go over 500cc unless your starting spore syringe is charcoal black with spores.

Just another way

#7 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,987 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2021 - 07:30 AM

The only way to use a syringe in a dumber way than squirting it into 250 or 500ml water is to squirt it in your own eye.

What a ridiculous way to attempt expand a syringe. Putting all your eggs in a really stupid basket. 

• coorsmikey, PJammer24, FLASHINGROOSTER and 1 other like this

#8 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 07:36 AM

Harsh words, but I agree.

• sandman likes this

#9 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,987 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2021 - 07:44 AM

I'm really nice I swear!

This guy goes around posting nonsense all over the board day in and day out

The question was how to expand mycelium on the cheap, not how to expand shit ass spore syringes into even shittier ultra diluted spore solution.

• coorsmikey, PJammer24 and jrh like this

#10 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 08:10 AM

All your eggs are already in one basket when you make a spore syringe lol

To inject the syringe into a jar of pre-sterilized water would be no different then risking a lc or petri dish. If the print is clean to start with then it will remain clean once diluted. if it was dirty then you'll end up with a dirty diluted jar of spore solution.

Make sense kid?

Go back to bed, get up on the right side. I dont get paid to read people "bitch" about something that's either a scope outside their knowledge or opinion.

Did you know If you use up a spore syringe you can suck up pre-sterilized water and still use it for another round of innoc's due to the amount of spores that are still inside the syringe? Probably not cause you dont know the half of what I do sandman.

Go goof off
  • sandman likes this

#11 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,987 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2021 - 08:44 AM

Who gives a shit what you get paid for you fucking bread sandwhich

What you say is just dumb

I dont really need to try and flex on you because you flex on yourself. With the stupid shit that comes from your mouth.

Edited by sandman, 15 January 2021 - 08:45 AM.

• PJammer24 likes this

#12 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 09:16 AM

It would be coming from the keyboard more so then my mouth if you wanted to be technical.

Theres still time to repent sandman, cause I know I'm 100% accurate about the info I gave. I start all my grain spawn masters from spores that were diluted in a jar of sterile water.

Works great for me and it would anyone else with common sense.

#13 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,987 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2021 - 09:27 AM

First of all no one was asking about stretching out spore solution. 

Second of all, I'm not surprised an absolute knob like you would go with a stupid ass way to grow like that. 

Seriously everyone look through this guys idiotic post history. 

• coorsmikey likes this

#14 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,987 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2021 - 09:40 AM

So I will go ahead and leave you to have your melt down across the board.

Maybe I will respond to it at my leisure and maybe not. Hopefully you get banned. This place would be better off without some deranged halfwit sticking his knobby little fingers in every thread with off-topic dipshittery. 

• coorsmikey likes this

#15 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 09:57 AM

There are vendors that sell their spores in vials of water, same thing as a jar.

Are you trolling just to troll?

#16 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,987 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2021 - 10:23 AM

We are to assume that this master braniac over here, fung

Aa master like him makes his own syringes and prints right? Wagging his big dick everywhere he must

Making his own syringes in what? 10cc syringes and then taking an extra step to dilute said syringes are you fucking kidding me?

That's what you are saying yo do?

What a pro gamer move.

#17 timothywyllie

timothywyllie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:26 PM

I did mushrooms once.  It was at college and it was a phenomenal experience.  I called my sister at like midnight and told her I found the meaning of life.  "To make other peoples life on earth as happy as possible".  

Right or wrong in my statement, aren't mushrooms suppose to make you kind-hearted toward each other? 

If you disagree with someone you can say so without personal attacks.  Everybody is on their own path.

• Coopdog, Microbe, FunG and 1 other like this

#18 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,479 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2021 - 05:06 PM

All your eggs are already in one basket when you make a spore syringe lol

To inject the syringe into a jar of pre-sterilized water would be no different then risking a lc or petri dish. If the print is clean to start with then it will remain clean once diluted. if it was dirty then you'll end up with a dirty diluted jar of spore solution.

Make sense kid?

Go back to bed, get up on the right side. I dont get paid to read people "bitch" about something that's either a scope outside their knowledge or opinion.

Did you know If you use up a spore syringe you can suck up pre-sterilized water and still use it for another round of innoc's due to the amount of spores that are still inside the syringe? Probably not cause you dont know the half of what I do sandman.

Go goof off

Considering you are using 10 drops to do 10 plates with the rest of the spore syringe to spare while with your methods you are risking contamination of the entire syringe and simply wasting the whole deal... It is pretty clear the your methodology is not sound... That paired with you offering unsolicited advice related to something that was not even part of the discussion is... well from where I sit it is what it is...

Sorry I'm late folks...

• sandman likes this

#19 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 05:19 PM

It's not even risky pjammer

He wanted to know how to expand on the solution or the mycelium. Either go straight to grains with the spore syringe and use that jar as a matter culture for g2g and continue expanding out from there or (assuming the spore syringe was made from a good print) then he also has the option to use a jar or vial of pre sterilized water to dilute 5-10cc's of solution into with little to no chance of contamination.

I do it in open air and it never contaminates so if I can do it then theres no reason someone else cant do it is how I see things.

#20 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,952 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2021 - 05:42 PM

I did mushrooms once.  It was at college and it was a phenomenal experience.  I called my sister at like midnight and told her I found the meaning of life.  "To make other peoples life on earth as happy as possible".  

Right or wrong in my statement, aren't mushrooms suppose to make you kind-hearted toward each other? 

If you disagree with someone you can say so without personal attacks.  Everybody is on their own path.

You were right, that's a big part of what the meaning of life involves. Or at least living for something we see as bigger than or beyond ourselves is the best way to tolerate life if it's not its meaning since it's not certain that such a thing exists beyond our own projections.

The catch seems to involve what the word "happiness" means, and the fact that often times in the real world (as opposed to the world of math and geometry) the shortest distance between two points is not a straight line at all. For example, someone who kisses our ass isn't necessarily our friend just like how someone who kicks it isn't necessarily our enemy.

As far as the original question is concerned, no matter what you're doing with agar and spores or LCs or whatever, redundancy is your friend. Always do at least several of whatever you're doing. Doing ten of everything is ideal, unless it's a project you can afford to lose without getting too bummed out (or if your time, space, or resources are limited).

• sandman likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!