• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,956 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2021 - 07:06 PM

FWIW when I was learning I didn't base my decisions on "clout" but if what the person was saying resonated with me.

That's how we ended up with some folks using Miracle-Gro in "hydroponic" substrates a few years ago on the advice of someone with unshakeable confidence in their method (and who also made grandiose and unverifiable claims of extensive growing experience). There have been plenty of other interesting ideas about growing presented here that were clearly unencumbered by practical experience but that sounded pretty reasonable to anyone similarly unencumbered.

The way the Miracle-Gro approach was described resonated with anyone who had grown plants before, and made its own kind of sense so long as nobody looked too closely at the differences between how plants and fungi grow and obtain their nutrients. But nobody I know of uses fertilizer to grow mushrooms "hydroponically" off of abrasive dish pads these days.

Longevity, on the other hand, is about the only thing left that can't be faked (it's a substrain of clout). and if someone lasts a long time in a context like this they probably weren't giving out bunk advice the whole time since they tend to get banned or crowd-source corrected.

Edited by TVCasualty, 13 February 2021 - 07:08 PM.

• sandman likes this

#62 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 07:18 PM

as a newbi I learned agar, I grew dirty spores from a bag and now have have a great culture after only 3 transfers. Agar is not a advanced method but it does self teach sterile techniques.  Only then can you expand indefinitely with a little to make lots, and with confidence!  :)  If im wrong shoot me down brothers lol :)

• TVCasualty likes this

#63 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,995 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2021 - 07:26 PM

I tried to like your post LIFELESSDEAD right on my bru very true but i reached my quota for positive votes for the day.

Palpatine-TROS-infobox.jpg

#64 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,956 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2021 - 07:29 PM

as a newbi I learned agar, I grew dirty spores from a bag and now have have a great culture after only 3 transfers. Agar is not a advanced method but it does self teach sterile techniques.  Only then can you expand indefinitely with a little to make lots, and with confidence!  :)  If im wrong shoot me down brothers lol :)

I guess that'll do in a pinch. But the CORRECT way to start growing is to mix-and-match a bunch of different TEKs that sound good and as a result fail miserably at it for a full year before ever getting a single mushroom thereby learning humility, patience, sterile technique, and how to follow directions the motherfucking hard way!

Which just coincidentally happens to be how I did it. So it has to be the correct way, obviously, since that's the only way I do things. Well, except the lesson of humility didn't stick in my case, unfortunately. But that's okay since I'm awesome and it only got in the way of my informing everyone of this self-evident fact.

• LIFELESSDEAD likes this

#65 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 07:31 PM

I dont like liquid cultures because you cant see mold contaminates like you can in a grain spawn jar or agar plate so I never recommend going spores to lc.

Although I'm sure if I tested the spore syringe on a grain jar that showed no contamination upon germination then I'd be confident enough to do a lc with it.

But still, I dont like liquid cultures in general because they do contaminate easier then any other method out there.

#66 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 07:37 PM

fyi I dont know much but im a firm believer dirty spores cleaned up may be a shortcut to a mega strain. why? because we cultivated the strongest survivors of the bunch!!! :)

#67 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 894 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2021 - 07:45 PM

Yea I'm sure your method of putting spores on LC is much better than my master slants of elite clones being put on.

I think you took that the wrong way. I meant why would you since you would have nothing to gain. I on the other hand am simply curious about my anomalous results.

I was suggesting comparing the way I make prints and LCs vs the way you do that has led to us coming to different conclusions.

Apples to apples NOT apples to oranges.

#68 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 07:57 PM

I guess that'll do in a pinch. But the CORRECT way to start growing is to mix-and-match a bunch of different TEKs that sound good and as a result fail miserably at it for a full year before ever getting a single mushroom thereby learning humility, patience, sterile technique, and how to follow directions the motherfucking hard way!

Which just coincidentally happens to be how I did it. So it has to be the correct way, obviously, since that's the only way I do things. Well, except the lesson of humility didn't stick in my case, unfortunately. But that's okay since I'm awesome and it only got in the way of my informing everyone of this self-evident fact.

So maybe I got lucky?  I can live with that. I am but a student but I will fallow up with a Redo at some point . since I just posted unverified advice, im gonna do a baggy experiment to see if I can get a similar result.

#69 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 894 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2021 - 07:57 PM

I dont like liquid cultures because you cant see mold contaminates like you can in a grain spawn jar or agar plate so I never recommend going spores to lc.
Although I'm sure if I tested the spore syringe on a grain jar that showed no contamination upon germination then I'd be confident enough to do a lc with it.
But still, I dont like liquid cultures in general because they do contaminate easier then any other method out there.

If you tested the LC on grains would you not be confident it was clean?

#70 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 08:13 PM

I recently tried the myceliated grain tek. that is great. I  turned a 1/4 pint jar into a few syringes for immediate use. its nice because you can see it before you use it!! 

• pastyoureyes likes this

#71 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 894 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2021 - 08:27 PM

I recently tried the myceliated grain tek. that is great. I  turned a 1/4 pint jar into a few syringes for immediate use. its nice because you can see it before you use it!!

Wouldn't agar be easier to prep? I've never tried myceliated grain.

#72 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 894 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2021 - 08:36 PM

What path are you taking?
Spore>agar>?

What most people use is
Spore>agar>grain

The agar step may or may not include transfers.

#73 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 09:36 PM

I suppose you could go

Spores》grain》GLC
Or 》G2G

Glc is riskier, anything involving nutrient rich liquids is risky business.

#74 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,956 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2021 - 09:44 PM

So maybe I got lucky?  I can live with that. I am but a student but I will fallow up with a Redo at some point . since I just posted unverified advice, im gonna do a baggy experiment to see if I can get a similar result.

My post was entirely facetious and immature. Just want to make sure that's clear.

:weedpoke:

#75 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,974 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2021 - 09:51 PM

Riskier then the non-sterlized popcorn that you use?

Edited by hyphaenation, 13 February 2021 - 09:52 PM.

#76 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 894 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2021 - 10:25 PM

I suppose you could go
Spores》grain》GLC
Or 》G2G

There are many paths one Could take.

Spores>agar>slant = Blues
Spores>LC>agar>LC>slant = Jazz
Spores>grain>GLC = Rock n roll

You must be making nutrient rich liquid in a different manner than I.

#77 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 11:17 PM

ya so many ways to get to the end. so far sterile tek has been my savior. its agar to a 1/4 pint grain jar and a modified lid with a double filter and a syringe port. and btw I believe this tek was used by hippie3, and thanks to him and all of you for helping me:)  god bless us all!

#78 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 11:32 PM

the kicker is that you can inoculate several jars without a sab or flow hood.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!