• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Samwise

Samwise

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:47 AM

Intriguing and harrowing case report of someone who injected themselves with mushroom (P. cubensis) tea...spores included. He nearly killed himself doing this, and was on ICU life support for multiple-system organ failure for some time. He had bipolar disorder type I and had been researching ways to treat his opioid dependence and depression, and was intrigued to give psychedelics a try.

One very weird take away from this: "...the species of mushroom he had injected was now growing in his blood". Not only did the mushroom spores survive boiling, but they germinated and started growing in his bloodstream according to this.

Curious about the wider evolutionary implications of this pertaining to the mushroom...given how tough and resilient mushroom spores appear to be, it calls into question the hypothesis put forward that psilocybin acts as a repellent...perhaps it more likely acts as an attractant. Makes me curious about the association of P. cubensis with bovine dung, perhaps bovines are ingesting spores and helping distribute them...I wouldn't put it past those crafty fungi.

https://www.vice.com...ow-in-his-blood

Study:

Giancola et al. (2021) A “trip” to the ICU: intravenous injection of psilocybin. Journal of the Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry, In Press.

https://www.scienced...66729602030015X

#2 GORF

GORF

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 455 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:40 AM

Growth in the bloodstream seems highly unlikely.

There is no free oxygen. It is all bound by hemoglobin.

#3 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 459 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:02 AM

Way too quick of a time frame, unless we need to start some in-vitro/blood teks.

• ChocolateStarfish likes this

#4 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 765 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 12:36 PM

"blood tests revealed that he had both a bacterial and fungal infection in his blood." - I would put money on the fungal infection NOT being Cubensis or any other 'higher' fungi but something like Candida or other 'lower' fungi. Reading between the lines the patient was an IV opioid user already so could have been infecting themselves with dirty needle use regardless of silly attempts to IV Psilocybin.

• PJammer24, Juthro and rockyfungus like this

#5 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 211 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:27 PM

Intriguing and harrowing case report of someone who injected themselves with mushroom (P. cubensis) tea...spores included. He nearly killed himself doing this, and was on ICU life support for multiple-system organ failure for some time. He had bipolar disorder type I and had been researching ways to treat his opioid dependence and depression, and was intrigued to give psychedelics a try.

One very weird take away from this: "...the species of mushroom he had injected was now growing in his blood". Not only did the mushroom spores survive boiling, but they germinated and started growing in his bloodstream according to this.

Curious about the wider evolutionary implications of this pertaining to the mushroom...given how tough and resilient mushroom spores appear to be, it calls into question the hypothesis put forward that psilocybin acts as a repellent...perhaps it more likely acts as an attractant. Makes me curious about the association of P. cubensis with bovine dung, perhaps bovines are ingesting spores and helping distribute them...I wouldn't put it past those crafty fungi.

https://www.vice.com...ow-in-his-blood

Study:

Giancola et al. (2021) A “trip” to the ICU: intravenous injection of psilocybin. Journal of the Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry, In Press.

https://www.scienced...66729602030015X

Lol i was posting about this same exact thing earlier,i guess it didnt post or whatever, but it would have been posted like 3 or 4 hours after yours so you would have still beat me to it... My question is, if this man died in the right spot... Would his body produce a bunch of fruits?? as it rotted would the mycelium take him over and make a mycelium man molding?

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
  • ChanterelleLA likes this

#6 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 211 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:28 PM

Way too quick of a time frame, unless we need to start some in-vitro/blood teks.

Thats what i was saying!! Or we should use blood to make LCs and make Blood Agar!

Edited by ChocolateStarfish, 13 January 2021 - 04:28 PM.

#7 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 211 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:29 PM

And the article i read said that he injected himself with mushroom tea, not spores. So that was why it built mycelium in his bloodstream so fast,, it wasnt that spores germinated, it was like putting tissue in an LC to clone it. He cloned mushrooms in his blood.

Edited by ChocolateStarfish, 13 January 2021 - 04:30 PM.

#8 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,114 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2021 - 05:59 PM

"blood tests revealed that he had both a bacterial and fungal infection in his blood." - I would put money on the fungal infection NOT being Cubensis or any other 'higher' fungi but something like Candida or other 'lower' fungi. Reading between the lines the patient was an IV opioid user already so could have been infecting themselves with dirty needle use regardless of silly attempts to IV Psilocybin.

I'm with Cuboid on this, I do not think that there was a cube LC brewing in the dudes viens, lol.   I think it's just a story of what can happen with non hygienic IV drug use. 

But let's look at the bigger picture, if this guy is shooting mushroom tea into his veins.....  :ohmy:  :ohmy:  :ohmy:    That should raise some red flags somewhere. :excl:

My unprofessional opinion is that he has some serious wires crossed, and is in need of a supervised vacation somewhere.  :meditate:

• cujoloki, Cuboid and ChocolateStarfish like this

#9 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 293 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:29 PM

He has bipolar 1 and needed more help than he was getting.

Cultures confirmed bacteremia (ultimately cultured as Brevibacillus) and fungemia (ultimately cultured as Psilocybe cubensis – i.e. the species of mushroom he had injected was now growing in his blood).

Edited by jrh, 13 January 2021 - 07:47 PM.

#10 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 211 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 08:44 PM

see they made cultures of the fungus in his blood and identified it as cubensis^^ see you guys are making guesses out of just reading an article. The doctors who actually worked on saving this man's life got a culture of the fungi that was growing in this man's blood and determined it to be cubensis. I doubt they would announce this finding just to fuck with everyone, and i doubt they would announce it unless they were pretty damn certain it was indeed that. I mean, it may have been an unrepeatable anomaly, but I still believe the doctors who actually had samples of the fungi in question over people speculating from an article they read.

Edited by ChocolateStarfish, 13 January 2021 - 08:46 PM.

#11 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 211 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 08:55 PM

I just really wish that we could find out if mushrooms would have started fruiting from his decaying flesh if he died outside in a humid and warm environment... That would be pretty trippy if the mafia was like "you know what, we should be making more money whenever we whack somebody" and so they start injecting people with LC's and leave them locked up for a few days until they die from the mycelium clogging a vein or however the fungus would kill them, and then put the corpse outside in a nice field so they could get a nice flush or 2 from them... I wouldn't really want to eat those mushrooms if i knew where they came from though. Just sounds super gross.........unless someone said they are super strong or something. LOL kidding.

#12 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,529 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:33 PM

I suppose you could contact the family and arrange something? You know like, the path he's on might actually kill him and that you would like to know the cemetery you plan on burying him so you could of course deliver flowers and fertilize the grave with some hpoo, Nah nevermind that would just be sick or gross too.

• Juthro, Salem and ChocolateStarfish like this

#13 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 05:16 AM

In the end we're all mushroom food anyway. We're just normally done with our bodies before the mushrooms start in. Now that they've got a taste for us, though, they might ally with the cordyceps and force us to "vaccinate" each other with LI.

#14 BrotherDekatessera

BrotherDekatessera

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:50 AM

Lol, I logged in this morning just to post this article and ask what people thought.

#15 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:00 PM

Lol, I logged in this morning just to post this article and ask what people thought.

Me and you both brother

#16 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:09 PM

I suppose you could contact the family and arrange something? You know like, the path he's on might actually kill him and that you would like to know the cemetery you plan on burying him so you could of course deliver flowers and fertilize the grave with some hpoo, Nah nevermind that would just be sick or gross too.

I mean, its only gross because we think about it almost in the same light as cannibalism... But when we eat shrooms grown on poo, we dont think that it is borderline poo eating...
On another note,i bet this is the first time they have ever had to give anti-fungal medications to someone for cubensis...
On a 3rd note, this could be the start to a horror movie. Hes going to poop/pee out some cubensis spores or mycelium that are now adapted to eating people, and then someone will rediscover this strain, and everyone who eats it, the mushroom will take over their minds as well as bodies, and the cubensis-infected will run around with LC syringes injecting everyone they can find.... Or maybe theyll act like ur friend and just give you a bag of shrooms??? "It could have gotten to anyone... Even your local drug dealer!"
Someone please make this movie.

Edited by ChocolateStarfish, 14 January 2021 - 12:12 PM.

#17 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:12 PM

Imagine the trips you'd get from shrooms grown on someone's BRAIN.

#18 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 765 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:14 PM

Cultures confirmed bacteremia (ultimately cultured as Brevibacillus) and fungemia (ultimately cultured as Psilocybe cubensis – i.e. the species of mushroom he had injected was now growing in his blood).

Thanks for finding and sharing that Journal pre-proof. I had tried myself to get it the other day but gave up after one or two dead ends.

I'd be very interested to know if this paper makes it through peer review and into the journal in question. I'd also be very interested in the authors expanding greatly on their methodology for what samples they gathered to culture, how it was grown out, how and who identified the mycelium as Ps. Cub. etc... etc.. You'll all have to excuse (or not) my cynicism with 4 Psychologists (or MD's? but not Mycologist's right?) saying they ID'd cubensis mycelium actively growing in the guys blood.

• Juthro, ChocolateStarfish and jrh like this

#19 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:08 PM

Actually, I think they identified the mycelium as P. cubensis var. Audrey 2.

#20 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:46 PM

Source
Thanks for finding and sharing that Journal pre-proof. I had tried myself to get it the other day but gave up after one or two dead ends.
I'd be very interested to know if this paper makes it through peer review and into the journal in question. I'd also be very interested in the authors expanding greatly on their methodology for what samples they gathered to culture, how it was grown out, how and who identified the mycelium as Ps. Cub. etc... etc.. You'll all have to excuse (or not) my cynicism with 4 Psychologists (or MD's? but not Mycologist's right?) saying they ID'd cubensis mycelium actively growing in the guys blood.

That is a good point. I see what you are saying there, but i am sure they probably cultured it and at the very least used process of elimination to determine that it wasn't a normal fungal infection that is common or even uncommon in IV users, and through that determined the most likely culprit to be psilocybe cubensis.. Though I am sure they probably used another method insuring much more certainty, as they probably had a lab or 2 they could have sent it to in which had a person with the right credentials to judge such a thing, as this would have been at least of moderate interest to any medical personal I would think, though I could be very wrong.

Edited by ChocolateStarfish, 14 January 2021 - 02:47 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!