• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 StOfCircumstance

StOfCircumstance

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:17 AM

Hello, I am new here, at least from the interaction point. I have countless hours on the lurking end. Anyway, I have been trying many different kinds of grain for spawn. I was having dry batches of finch food(millet), wet batches of wbs(milo), popcorn that works awesome, but takes two days to soak, cook, and pc. Finally at tractor supply, I found a 50# bag of deer corn for $7.99. I have not looked back. I’ve been through 3 of the bags recently and the only contam I had was from experimental rubbermaid tubs and vacuum bags. I put the corn in a 5 gal bucket, throw a handful of hpoo on top(not required) and cover with boiling water. Once the corn sucks it up, fill to an inch above the corn with warm water. I let it sit for an hour or two and rinse in a mesh bag or a bucket with a ton of holes. Drain for an hour or so and into jars and into the pc. The myc seems to rip through it faster than the popcorn. Works for woodlovers as well, I substitute hydrated alder for the hpoo. No verm, no gyp, nothing but deer corn, water and the optional hpoo. Anyone else use this?
  • makinbones69 and jimbosmith316 like this

#2 jimbosmith316

jimbosmith316

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:20 AM

Hello, I am new here, at least from the interaction point. I have countless hours on the lurking end. Anyway, I have been trying many different kinds of grain for spawn. I was having dry batches of finch food(millet), wet batches of wbs(milo), popcorn that works awesome, but takes two days to soak, cook, and pc. Finally at tractor supply, I found a 50# bag of deer corn for $7.99. I have not looked back. I’ve been through 3 of the bags recently and the only contam I had was from experimental rubbermaid tubs and vacuum bags. I put the corn in a 5 gal bucket, throw a handful of hpoo on top(not required) and cover with boiling water. Once the corn sucks it up, fill to an inch above the corn with warm water. I let it sit for an hour or two and rinse in a mesh bag or a bucket with a ton of holes. Drain for an hour or so and into jars and into the pc. The myc seems to rip through it faster than the popcorn. Works for woodlovers as well, I substitute hydrated alder for the hpoo. No verm, no gyp, nothing but deer corn, water and the optional hpoo. Anyone else use this?

Cheap and easy I like!

#3 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 07:53 AM

Corn generally doesnt yield anywhere near the amount of mushrooms as wbs.

It works, just not the greatest.

I assume deer corn is the same as cattle corn.

#4 southernblues

southernblues

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 02:45 PM

Done a couple runs with corn and had much smaller yields than with WBS or oats (no longer using). Just got my first bag of rye berries, had the local health food store get them for me (no shipping charge). Gonna check'm out next time i do jars.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!