• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:58 AM

I'm still fairly new to the growing world and would like opinions from the pros.  You guys have always given great advice, so thank you in advance.  I am growing some cakes and wanted to check in on them this morning, because they are getting ready for birth.  I looked at this particular cake and it doesn't look exactly right.  I have seen some pictures of contamination and this resembled those pictures.  I want to get input before I throw this away.  Sorry if my picture sucks. lol

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_29781.JPG
  • IMG_29791.JPG
  • IMG_29801.JPG

Edited by Turtlegirl, 14 January 2021 - 09:04 AM.

• sandman and SMOKIEDABEAR like this

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,478 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:33 AM

I've moved this over to the Magic Mushroom forum.

Edited by Myc, 14 January 2021 - 11:33 AM.

• Turtlegirl likes this

#3 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:13 PM

If it looks like grey slime it's probably bacteria.

• Turtlegirl likes this

#4 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,989 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:00 PM

Can we get a better resolution picture? Doesn't look very good though. 

• PJammer24, cujoloki, ilikethings and 1 other like this

#5 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,479 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:04 PM

that jar is almost certainly contaminated in my opinion. I suspect some type of mold rather than bacteria... I would toss that baby and give it another go... Sorry to be the bearer of bad news... :mellow:

• Turtlegirl and SMOKIEDABEAR like this

#6 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,479 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:05 PM

Bro... No offense, but when you weren't coming around my likes seemed to last longer...

• sandman, cujoloki, ilikethings and 1 other like this

#7 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,989 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2021 - 04:45 PM

Stop liking me!

• cujoloki, pastyoureyes, Boebs and 1 other like this

#8 SMOKIEDABEAR

SMOKIEDABEAR

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 04:54 PM

I would just take that whole jar and throw it in the trash outside don't even open it I had to do that last night with a bag of contaminated Uncle Ben's if it smells mushroomy it's good if it smells sour it's bad
  • Turtlegirl likes this

#9 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 04:18 AM

Yea, that was forest green mold in that jar, good thing you threw the entire thing out. Mold is nothing to trifle with.
  • Turtlegirl likes this

#10 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 1,120 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2021 - 07:15 AM

The smell technique.. i lean away from that, my rule with questionable jars, if theres doubt, throw it out.
Im not sniffing questionable stuff.. inhaling what ever funk is growing in that jar.
  • sandman, ilikethings and Turtlegirl like this

#11 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 07:27 AM

Weird, it looks slimy on my laptop screen and trichy on my phone screen. Anyway, if the OP has a PC, can they re-sterilize the jar for say 2 hrs at 15 psi and keep the jar?

• Turtlegirl likes this

#12 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 09:17 AM

Well jrh since I'm full of useless information you can ignore me but the answer to that question is yes

You can sterilize a moldy jar to kill the colony before emptying it to save the jar but it stinks like hell.
  • Turtlegirl likes this

#13 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,989 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2021 - 09:31 AM

Yea go through an hour of labor pcing a gross jar and mess with some mold to save $1 sounds about like something you would do to me. 

• coorsmikey likes this

#14 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,989 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2021 - 09:32 AM

Because your time, like your advice, is fucking worthless

#15 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 10:01 AM

Actually you'd be surprised to know that I just pitch moldy jars sandman.

The question was can you save the jar and not contaminate your grow space by pc'ing.

You need to go have a nap or something cause you are one seriously miserable person when you're cranky sandman. Or do something pro-active and try to impress me with a p.cubensis grow.

#16 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 10:12 AM

Yea go through an hour of labor pcing a gross jar and mess with some mold to save $1 

Have you bought jars recently? 4 wide mouth pint jars for $20 on amazon. The question wasn't meant to stir up trouble.

https://www.amazon.c...10723210&sr=8-2

Of course they also have listings for a dozen for $27 - $30, but I've ordered from those 3rd parties before only to wait a few weeks, then have my order cancelled because the item is out of stock.

#17 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,989 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2021 - 10:18 AM

Yall are dragging this poor girls post off topic as usual fung.

These pictures are too low resolution for any of these people to say for certain shit about fuck.

Photography is cool, take better pics!

#18 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:01 PM

Even though I tend to say theres mold growing in the uncolonized bottom part, it really is hard to tell from the picture.

Could also be actual myc colonizing from behind.

Tend to say it looks like mold tho.

Agree, please a closeup picture or two with focus on the jar to see whats going on

• sandman likes this

#19 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

I Put That Shit On Everything!

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Donator

Posted 15 January 2021 - 04:10 PM

Turtlegirl, how long have they been colonizing? Has the mycelium stayed away from that spot since the beginning of colonization? I see something suspect, but it is hard to tell without clearer pictures. I won't go all sideways like some here in this thread have.

You have a legitimate question and you deserve a legitimate response.
If everything in the jar but that area is colonized you have two possible outcomes.

1. It hasn't colonized that area yet.
2. It's a potential contamination issue whether it be bacterial or mold.

Mycelium from my experience tends to stay away from certain bacterial infections when colonizing, or create what's known as "myc piss" to help combat whatever bacteria it could be. Mold is very likely to overrun the mycelium from what I have noticed, but a clearer crisper picture would help to narrow all this down.
I say this because you could have a black mold or some other mold not being seen due to the picture quality. I don't see trich as it is quick to turn green. The last picture farthest on the right in your post is the clearest of them all. Something does look off, but again it comes back to how long it's been colonizing, temps, sterility procedure, and or the product you are getting. The factors are fairly numerous so the best way to move forward is to narrow down what it could be.
Are you buying pre-sterilized jars? You may be getting from a vendor not worth dealing with.
Are you getting spores from a place not well known or not reputable?
Turtlegirl, the factors can be many. The best way for us to help you is for you to give us as much information as you can.

Edited by Baphom3t, 15 January 2021 - 04:16 PM.

• Turtlegirl likes this

#20 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 05:04 AM

I don't think a Motorola Razr can take better photos.

But in all seriousness, I agree with Baphom3t  

Based on your three images, I'm fairly certain i've experienced the same thing.  I suspect when you initially PC'ed your jars, that jar took on addition water.  And that saturated area was ignored by the myc.  I'd throw it in trash or if you insist on saving the glass jar, take it outside and empty it in the open air into a plastic grocery bag or in the "woods."

Attached Thumbnails

• Motorola_RAZR_V3x.jpg

• Turtlegirl likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!