• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:43 PM

If it looks like grey slime it's probably bacteria.

It does look like grey slime.

• jrh likes this

#22 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:54 PM

Ok.  I did not mean to start any arguments.  I know my pics suck.  I can't seem to pin down the right way to take them.  They are either too close or too far away.  I did take one more picture before I threw the cake away.  I did buy pre-strerilized jars.  I don't usually do that, but I was in a hurry.  The mycelium did stay away from that particular spot.  They had been colonizing at 31 days.  I had not checked on them in almost a week because we had company.  The spot in the jar did look dark and slimy.  I just threw the whole jar out.  I have plenty of others to work with so it was no big loss.  Thank you again and I will attach my last picture.  Hopefully it's better than the others.

• Baphom3t and Boebs like this

#23 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:56 PM

I'm still fairly new to the growing world and would like opinions from the pros.  You guys have always given great advice, so thank you in advance.  I am growing some cakes and wanted to check in on them this morning, because they are getting ready for birth.  I looked at this particular cake and it doesn't look exactly right.  I have seen some pictures of contamination and this resembled those pictures.  I want to get input before I throw this away.  Sorry if my picture sucks. lol

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_29851.JPG

#24 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,478 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2021 - 05:48 PM

That jar looks like good spawn for an outdoor grow in the flower bed.

At least, that's what I do with contaminated jars. You'll almost always get some fruits from the effort and it's not much work. No need to be aseptic. You can simply mix un-pasteurized poo and water to get the hydration right. Inoculate with your contaminated spawn and "case" the substrate with leaves or something light and airy. This could be done in a container on a patio as well.

Food for thought. Failures happen but they don't have to be a total loss.

• sandman, Baphom3t, Boebs and 2 others like this

#25 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 03:55 PM

Hey Myc, regarding your outdoor, without giving specifics/doxing your self or others, have you heard of people doing that in northern areas like southern Canada with cubies but only in spring/summer?

@Turtlegirl, I did not even know you could buy pre-sterilized jars!?  Not that I would pay the presumed premium, I'm curious, do they come in sealed bags?  But also, do they come prefilled with BRF mix?

• Turtlegirl likes this

#26 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 663 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:51 PM

Hey Myc, regarding your outdoor, without giving specifics/doxing your self or others, have you heard of people doing that in northern areas like southern Canada with cubies but only in spring/summer?

I’m in an arid climate, well above the clouds. (6,000+ elevation). Had cubes fruit in 30 degree weather with snow on the ground, soil was obviously not frozen.

Cubes can be grown outside anywhere as long as you provide the moisture and humidity. Not sure how cold they can fruit in, but spring/fall/summer will give you flushes.

My patches don’t last over winter. Easy to dump more spawn or contaminated spawn in the spot. (could try and insulate or build a deep enough bed).

Edited by rockyfungus, 21 January 2021 - 07:53 PM.

#27 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,543 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:56 PM

Myc show them my retirement home if you remember it......hahahaha

Sunset Myco Hills wasn't it?  Oh shit......

@Turtlegirl, I did not even know you could buy pre-sterilized jars!?  Not that I would pay the presumed premium, I'm curious, do they come in sealed bags?  But also, do they come prefilled with BRF mix?

Yes...for sure..... :biggrin:

A

Edited by Arathu, 21 January 2021 - 08:56 PM.

#28 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,478 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:03 AM

I'm in an arid location - high desert.

Captain Max claimed to have a cold-fruiting cubensis strain he called "Oh Canada".  It was hotly disputed and - so far as I know - his lab results were never repeated by anyone else.

If I had the advantage of the local climate in Canada - I would be raising psilocybe cyanescens. Easy to cultivate and willing to fruit if the conditions are right. And gram for gram - more bang for your effort when compared to cubes.

• Turtlegirl and rockyfungus like this

#29 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:28 AM

Myc

Blue meanies are the cube that thrive in cooler conditions from my research.

And living in canada (eastern canada) the conditions change with the seasons so I'd continuously be adjusting a tier green house to maintain fruiting parameters for pan cyans.

But western canada is the place to be for mushroom cultivation specifically b.c

Hell, you could just go for a nature walk and find them growing wild out that way.

If I wasnt caring for a sick parent I'd have flown the coop a long time ago.
  • Turtlegirl likes this

#30 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 10:15 AM

The cost of pre-sterilized jars isn't too bad.  They come in a box.  Each jar has foil.  Then they put 6 jars together and wrap them in plastic wrap.  The do come prefilled with a BRF mix.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!