26 replies to this topic

#21 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 942 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2021 - 10:17 PM

I have a seed starting mat that maintains 78 degrees which is about 15 degrees warmer than my kitchen in the winter. I think with that and a sheet tray I can knock off quite a bit of drying time.
Now on to a percolation device.
  • YoshiTrainer likes this

#22 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 942 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2021 - 06:28 PM

Round two using ACRB.
Not really a test of whether it contains alks- I’ve extracted this before - but another run through to clean up the process and see how a less forgiving starting material than Galactic Toad’s super bark behaves.
One difference already is that ACRB soaks up more water. 70ml instead of 50 was needed to achieve mud consistency and more will probably be needed when the sodium carbonate is added.
Digging through stuff to get to the ACRB I found chaliponga, chagrin’s, desmanthus, yopo , and cebil do things could get pretty interesting for awhile. Almost time to hit the nursery too for random legumes and aquatic grass.
  • bezevo and YoshiTrainer like this

#23 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 884 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2021 - 07:40 PM

Is it best to test roots, leaves, seeds, bark or all of them?

#24 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 942 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2021 - 09:28 PM

Beats me.
That’s partly what I’m trying to figure out.

#25 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 942 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2021 - 08:45 PM

The ACRB yielded .6% brown goo noticeably dirtier than the MHRB.
Not surprising since other extraction methods of acacia are always funkier than from mimosa. The lesser yield was expected too - I’ll have to dig out my notes from when I did an A/B on this material, but I don’t think it was particularly high yielding.
  • Phineas_Carmichael and YoshiTrainer like this

#26 Phineas_Carmichael

Phineas_Carmichael

Hooloovoo

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,972 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2021 - 01:22 AM

I work in QC at a manufacturing facility and we often test in process batches against "known-good material" as a control.

.6% of brown goo sounds like a perfectly acceptable result for this quick'n'dirty method on ACRB, especially if Galactic Toad's MHRB is the "known-good material" that we're testing against.

Did you happen to capture percent yield data on the initial experiments?

[*edit*] looking back I see that you did at 1% & 1.5%. Disregard this silly question.
I'd be curious to know what your pure white %yield was on this known-good ACRB if you can find the notes.

Edited by Phineas_Carmichael, 28 March 2021 - 03:12 AM.

#27 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 942 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 April 2021 - 05:52 PM

I can’t find my notes but as I recall the yield wasn’t anywhere near 1 percent or near pure white so I’m happy with .6 of dirty goo. I should do another A/B just to see what I’m looking at though and I want to run one on some supposedly spent bark to determine just what is being left behind.
I think the process is looking pretty workable for a quick assessment of whether a plant is worth looking into further and like you said would be a good way to reduce a large mass of low yielding material down into something that can be refined.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!