32 replies to this topic

#21 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,029 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2021 - 10:17 PM

I have a seed starting mat that maintains 78 degrees which is about 15 degrees warmer than my kitchen in the winter. I think with that and a sheet tray I can knock off quite a bit of drying time.
Now on to a percolation device.
  • YoshiTrainer likes this

#22 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,029 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2021 - 06:28 PM

Round two using ACRB.
Not really a test of whether it contains alks- I’ve extracted this before - but another run through to clean up the process and see how a less forgiving starting material than Galactic Toad’s super bark behaves.
One difference already is that ACRB soaks up more water. 70ml instead of 50 was needed to achieve mud consistency and more will probably be needed when the sodium carbonate is added.
Digging through stuff to get to the ACRB I found chaliponga, chagrin’s, desmanthus, yopo , and cebil do things could get pretty interesting for awhile. Almost time to hit the nursery too for random legumes and aquatic grass.
  • bezevo and YoshiTrainer like this

#23 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,215 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2021 - 07:40 PM

Is it best to test roots, leaves, seeds, bark or all of them?

#24 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,029 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2021 - 09:28 PM

Beats me.
That’s partly what I’m trying to figure out.

#25 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,029 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2021 - 08:45 PM

The ACRB yielded .6% brown goo noticeably dirtier than the MHRB.
Not surprising since other extraction methods of acacia are always funkier than from mimosa. The lesser yield was expected too - I’ll have to dig out my notes from when I did an A/B on this material, but I don’t think it was particularly high yielding.
  • Phineas_Carmichael and YoshiTrainer like this

#26 Phineas_Carmichael

Phineas_Carmichael

Hooloovoo

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,041 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2021 - 01:22 AM

I work in QC at a manufacturing facility and we often test in process batches against "known-good material" as a control.

.6% of brown goo sounds like a perfectly acceptable result for this quick'n'dirty method on ACRB, especially if Galactic Toad's MHRB is the "known-good material" that we're testing against.

Did you happen to capture percent yield data on the initial experiments?

[*edit*] looking back I see that you did at 1% & 1.5%. Disregard this silly question.
I'd be curious to know what your pure white %yield was on this known-good ACRB if you can find the notes.

Edited by Phineas_Carmichael, 28 March 2021 - 03:12 AM.

#27 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,029 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 April 2021 - 05:52 PM

I can’t find my notes but as I recall the yield wasn’t anywhere near 1 percent or near pure white so I’m happy with .6 of dirty goo. I should do another A/B just to see what I’m looking at though and I want to run one on some supposedly spent bark to determine just what is being left behind.
I think the process is looking pretty workable for a quick assessment of whether a plant is worth looking into further and like you said would be a good way to reduce a large mass of low yielding material down into something that can be refined.

#28 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,215 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2021 - 06:45 PM

I wonder if this has DMT in it? :)

https://mycotopia.ne...s/#entry1482604

I grow a lot of plants and trees and it has me looking at them in a different light now. Among them is an Inga feuilleei which is a Mimosoideae. I wonder if it makes a good dye? :)

If cat hair had DMT in it, I could get the world high!

Edited by YoshiTrainer, 16 April 2021 - 06:46 PM.

#29 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,029 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2021 - 03:11 PM

Looks to me like you have a project in front of you.
Instructions above.
This is exactly the kind of thing that made me want to develop this procedure.

#30 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,215 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2021 - 06:41 PM

I can also see this as a large-scale extraction on known low-yield plants like phalaris grass.  The resulting full-spectrum goo could easily be treated to a standard A/B to yield crystalline product...

In a case like this, would you do an acid soak on a huge quantity of phalaris grass, filter then reduce the volume of liquid? After that, carry on with the conversion?

#31 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,029 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2021 - 09:12 PM

If I had a shitload of fresh phalaris I’d blend it with enough vinegar water to make glop, freeze and thaw it if possible, and then mix it with enough NaCO to make mud.
Let dry, pulverize and extract with acetone.
  • Phineas_Carmichael and YoshiTrainer like this

#32 Phineas_Carmichael

Phineas_Carmichael

Hooloovoo

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,041 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2021 - 02:57 AM

In a case like this, would you do an acid soak on a huge quantity of phalaris grass, filter then reduce the volume of liquid? After that, carry on with the conversion?

You could do that, but it would be a standard A/B like Freddie & I tried back in the day & got a very small amount of goo...
https://mycotopia.ne...s-and-phalaris/

If I had a shitload of fresh phalaris I’d blend it with enough vinegar water to make glop, freeze and thaw it if possible, and then mix it with enough NaCO to make mud.
Let dry, pulverize and extract with acetone.

I'm Phineas Carmichael and I support this message!

The result of the acetone extraction would most likely be a goo, paste, or oil. My first step to purify it would be to dissolve the goo in a minimum of hot acidic solution. Then I'd filter out all the stuff that didn't dissolve before basifying with aqueous NaOH and extracting with naphtha as in a standard A/B.

With any luck there might be some pure DMT in there that could be freeze precipitated out. We're talking something like 0.1% for phalaris IIRC...

Edited by Phineas_Carmichael, 20 April 2021 - 03:01 AM.

#33 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,029 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2021 - 01:44 PM

Yup. Throw in a defat with xylene for good measure. I imagine the rough acetone extract would be really funky.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!