Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Have I somehow mixed up my cultures? This what should be GT looks an awful lot like Reishi

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 10:28 AM

Good day All

So, I'm mega confused.

I did a grain to bulk, with what I was certain was a clean GT culture from an Agar plate, (I'd transferred a number of times from original plate to make sure of cleanliness)

Spawn-Sub ratio 1:2 more/less,  Substrate 50/50 Coir / Cow shit

I recently moved to a sub-tropical climate, and so the ambient temperatures are much higher then where I was living before, (75 nights, 86 days pretty consistent) so after 6 days I checked on the monotub- saw what looked like full colonization, and initiated FC.

Last summer, Life caused me to move into a forced grow-sabbatical, wherein I had to keep my cultures in a less -than -ideal storage situation for a few months - which could be part of the reason this is as it is.

Some signs of... weirdness? The brown/Yellow color you can see in the photos

7hk9QN.md.jpg

7hLvKh.md.jpg

7hkibC.md.jpg

However, it looked familiar to me; and when I've grown Reishi before, I've noticed the same coloring... also, the same type of "take over the sides of the jar with a strange -mushroom fleshy feeling mycelial blanket found on the sides of the sub a bit

My hypotheses are

1. Somehow I mixed up my cultures, and these are indeed reishi fruits growing from this bulk -sub

In which case; Question 1. How? Reishi isn't a coprophilic mushroom...?

and Question 2. How could I have mixed up these cultures???? (I'm normally excellent with the labeling)

2. This is the fruiting form of some other contaminant... in which case, interesting, and ID please?

3. This is some strange mutated form of GT (which is the only form of it so far I've been able to successfully grow).

Help? Currently have two grain jars colonizing with the same culture, but I'm hesitant-in-the-direction-of-NO to go to bulk with what might end up growing some rare form of fruit that's entirely unintended....

Right now have the sub sitting exposed to the wind on my porch, where I'm misting it whenever I chance to walk by; merely to see how these strange fruits progress.

Edited by Severian, 17 January 2021 - 10:30 AM.

• Arathu likes this

#2 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 10:46 AM

Normally I dont replie if I have no clue but this is one of those times I'm about as astonished by the weirdness as it can possibly get.

Theres no way those are golden teacher and it would be highly unlikely a wood lover like reishi would grow off anything but...

My bet guess is that it's a fungal based contaminate of some sort.

#3 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,543 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2021 - 11:55 AM

It would not be the first time I've said "hmmm....that's interesting. I was not expecting that...."

But in looking closer at them it does kind of look familiar to fungi I've seen in the wild......infected with their own fungal or bacterial (both of course) troubles....

Be interesting to see where it goes.....maybe case it with 1/2 inch of clean new potting soil and keep it misted outside.....???

A

Edited by Arathu, 17 January 2021 - 12:00 PM.

#4 cujoloki

cujoloki

unbeknownst

• OG VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 12:24 PM

I'm pretty sure that's reishi primordia and mycelium. I just harvested 2 jars of reishi that I grew off of popcorn that looks exactly like that.

#5 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 12:28 PM

I'm pretty sure that's reishi primordia and mycelium. I just harvested 2 jars of reishi that I grew off of popcorn that looks exactly like that.

This is my number 1 thought as well; looks exactly the same as what I've grown in the past.... but I wish I had an answer as to how the hell this has happened.

Will keep an eye on em and keep em moist n misted and continue to take photos.

edit: The white-fresh-leading edge of the 'mushroom' is turning yellow and shiny on one of the fruits... Can't say for certain at this stage but at this point I'm 99% sure this is a reishi culture.

Edited by Severian, 17 January 2021 - 12:31 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!