8 replies to this topic

#1 SlipperyJack

SlipperyJack

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 11:56 AM

Hey all,

After a bit of a hiatus, it's nice to be back, and I am getting ready for my next grow.

I made some spore prints last year of GT and B+.

Today I made some spore water from those prints.

So I've got 250ml each of some really nice purple spore water.

I will be using BRF cakes, 6 of GT and 6 of B+.

My question is, since I have so much rich spore water, is it possible to use too much to inoculate my jars?

I suppose if I completely soak the substrate, that could be bad for contam, etc.

But if I use like half a syringe (6ml) per jar, is that too much?

How much is too much?

Thanks so much for your expertise!

#2 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 12:25 PM

I do the same, make up 500ml jars of rather dark spore solution.

When innocing 1L jars of wbs I just use the entire 10ccs and if it pools the moisture is absorbed back into the grains and germination occurs around the bottom of the jar in every instance where spore solution pooled.

Not to sure with pf cakes I'd imagine the excess moisture would evaporate in the jar leaving behind clean germination. Use 1cc per a innoc point anymore and you'll probably end up with pooling spore solution but then again, if the spore solution is 100% clean and the cakes are 100% sterilized then contamination shouldn't factor in.

#3 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,562 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2021 - 12:32 PM

Can I offer a question for a question since you pretty much answered you own question already? What would the benefits be of adding more spores and water as opposed to less? More mushroom? Faster colonization? Let's just imagine that the spores are contaminated slightly with an average of 1 contaminant spore for every 100 mushroom spores. Would more or less be better?

• Sidestreet and jrh like this

#4 SlipperyJack

SlipperyJack

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 02:02 PM

Can I offer a question for a question since you pretty much answered you own question already? What would the benefits be of adding more spores and water as opposed to less? More mushroom? Faster colonization? Let's just imagine that the spores are contaminated slightly with an average of 1 contaminant spore for every 100 mushroom spores. Would more or less be better?

I suppose I was thinking that if there IS contam (which is possible... I think I did OK when taking the spore prints... but now that I know more 1 year later, I would definitely be more cautious and more sterile), more good spores might overwhelm any contam?

#5 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:26 PM

It doesnt happen very often but it does happen which is why you should always test the spore solution on either agar or a test jar.

If you use a grain jar to test just squirt the solution in a clockwise rotation around the outer grains that way when germination happens you'll be able to see any contamination present.
  • Moonless likes this

#6 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,562 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2021 - 08:17 PM

I suppose if one lived in the the Southern Hemisphere you could do a "counterclockwise" rotation instead? I heard you could just ask a magic eight ball if its contaminated and all will be evident.

• Stencill86, rockyfungus and FunnyFarmer like this

#7 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 291 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2021 - 08:19 PM

To answer your question, 6ml shouldn’t be too bad if your using half pints/pints. I’m not a brf guy but from what I understand you want to inject about 1cc in each of the 4 holes in the lid.
  • coorsmikey likes this

#8 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 663 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 09:03 PM

It doesnt happen very often but it does happen which is why you should always test the spore solution on either agar or a test jar.

If you use a grain jar to test just squirt the solution in a clockwise rotation around the outer grains that way when germination happens you'll be able to see any contamination present.

What's the point of squirting spore solution to agar or a test jar, if you've already gone to grain with it.

What's a test jar?

#9 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:11 PM

The idea is to test the spore solution on a single grain jar prior to mass inoculations.

That way you'll know that the starting solution is clean and free of contaminates or if its dirty and needs to be cleaned up on agar or discarded and re-done.

But if you've already gone to mass inoculations then there isnt a point.
  • rockyfungus likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!