• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 timothywyllie

timothywyllie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 10:11 PM

I've read a couple places that nutrient agar can safely store cultures for a few months in a refrigerator. I've also read slants can store mycelium for perhaps a year or two in a refrigerator. I know transfers are made to extend both of those techniques but my question is why the discrepancy on time? If slants have the longest shelf life what makes it the "longest"? Thanks hymenium homies.
  • Sidestreet likes this

#2 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,711 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2021 - 09:00 AM

That's a good question.  In Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms, Paul Stamets writes that culture slants can be stored for up to five years if refrigerated.  I think the longer storage time with slants has something to do in part with surface area, but I don't know.

• rockyfungus likes this

#3 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 663 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 09:57 AM

I always figured with slants you have a larger surface area, and then a deeper area for them to grow down.

Things like my Oysters will completely colonize a whole slant, where as cubensis seems to stay more on the top surface.

• timothywyllie likes this

#4 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,711 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2021 - 01:17 PM

Well, with a slant you have less surface area than a petri dish.  But, I think the reason that they are tipped to make the surface of the agar "slanted" is to increase surface area.  Doing a little web search I see that slants are preferred because they use less agar and the small mouth of the vessel makes it easier to prevent the slant from drying out.

#5 timothywyllie

timothywyllie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 04:30 PM

Thanks Sidestreet for taking the time to answer.  I'm reading Stamet's book right now!  If I'm to be honest the book is more like a collection of his work in the field.  I feel like it could've been condensed a good bit.  If I find more concrete answers I'll you know.

Edit-  I'll have to maybe try different ways and report back.  It might take a couple years:)  A post I found on this site has an interesting way of holding cells in pure water in stasis for a very long time.  

Edited by timothywyllie, 18 January 2021 - 04:33 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!