• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 11:38 PM

Hey guys, not gonna have any fruits for a hot minute and so, ive been thinking about doing some other experiment in the meantime to peek my interests.

I was thinking about getting some actual scientific instrumentation going so that in the future if I come across organic materials I will feel even more excited and ready and rearing to get shit done. I just like having all of the tools that make life easy and fun? I feel like even tho i dont need tgese things to do extractions it would just be subjectively *funner* to have the things that can make the process faster easier more efficient. Plus, ive never worked in a lab ever its just something I'm interested in!

Anyways, dont know much about this subject and have some questions. Supplies wise this is what i have listed..

Magnetic stirrer

Sep funnel borosillicate .. Size?

Vacuum filtration kit.. Does having thus tool make having a separatory funnel pointless or do they go together?

And then last thing i can think of which I don't really think I can afford is a rotovap.

Is there any other supplies one can think of? Any idea how much it would all cost minus the rotovap, and where do I get all this stuff?

Should I wait for a good deal on eBay or better off going to an actual company selling supplies?

Thanks gang!

Edited by DarkNchildlike, 18 January 2021 - 11:41 PM.

• Sharonlovesu2 likes this

#2 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 01:43 AM

Also I would like to have a place that lists all useful hemicals for each different kind of extraction. There are other sites for that I will compile tho. I just want to have all the supplies readily available for the futureand slowly gatger these tho gs together.

#3 Phineas_Carmichael

Phineas_Carmichael

Hooloovoo

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,972 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2021 - 03:01 AM

I'm just going to drop a couple links from my heyday first:

A Peek into a Clandestine Chemistry Lab

Mycotopia's Laboratory Safety Collaboration

Please forgive me the shameless self-linking.

Vacuum filtration kit.. Does having thus tool make having a separatory funnel pointless or do they go together?

And then last thing i can think of which I don't really think I can afford is a rotovap.

Your separatory funnel is for separating 2 liquids. Generally, you have mixed a polar and non-polar liquid and only want one of them so you put the mixture in the funnel. The liquids separate into 2 distinct layers and you open the valve at the bottom until the bottom layer drains out, and BAM you have separated your liquids. The size you need depends on how big your extractions are. 1L is a good general purpose size, but the 250mL is great to have for an entirely different reason.

A vacuum filter is for separating solids from a liquid. You have a mixture of solids (usually crystalline solids precipitated out of solution as your final product) that are in a beaker of liquid. Filtering it through a coffee filter using gravity will take forever, so you hook a special funnel to a special flask and pull a vacuum underneath and BAM you have separated your solid from your liquid. Buchner funnels & filter flasks come in different sizes too, each appropriate for a specific task.

Nobody can afford a rotovap. Not to mention, I'm not sure they're even sold to the general public without getting on some kind of list... 

Is there any other supplies one can think of? Any idea how much it would all cost minus the rotovap, and where do I get all this stuff?

Should I wait for a good deal on eBay or better off going to an actual company selling supplies?

Thanks gang!

SAFETY GEAR!!!!

You need gloves, goggles, fire extinguishers, a rubber apron, a respirator, and possibly most importantly, a dedicated lab space with adequate ventilation. You can do all this on your kitchen table, but chances are the cat's going to waltz through at some point and knock over a beaker full of black pH 14 solution and ruin the rug. Good luck getting your security deposit back after that one! Even if you don't have a dedicated room for your lab, you need a space where you can set everything up and then take it all down when you're done.

eBay is a good place to start, but there's a bunch of other places selling unused gear at good prices. I can't in good conscious put them on the open boards, when you know what you need you can use your Google-Fu to find it.

Also I would like to have a place that lists all useful hemicals for each different kind of extraction. There are other sites for that I will compile tho. I just want to have all the supplies readily available for the futureand slowly gatger these tho gs together.

As a general rule, don't go buying chemicals online; that just leaves a paper trail right to your dang house. Pretty much everything you need you can find at the hardware/automotive/grocery store and pay cash for it. Anything you can't find at a store has a legitimate purpose and can be found online, but you better also be interested in that legitimate purpose!

Need lye? You're a soap maker! Need citric acid? You make bath bombs!  Gotta have some toluene? I don't even know... maybe you're into making your own spray paint or something!

And now a bit of finger-wagging:

This shit can blind you.

This shit can leave you permanently scarred. 

This shit can blow up or burn down your house.

This shit can kill your dog, just with the fumes coming up from the basement.

You don't just assemble a clandestine chemistry lab for shits and giggles. You do it with specific intent. You do it with knowledge.

You start with, "I want to isolate this specific molecule from this specific plant, what do I need to accomplish my goal?"

This scattershot approach of "I want a chemistry lab!" makes me deeply uncomfortable...

That said, I'm happy to help, but I'll need specific questions.

• coorsmikey, TheObserver, Arathu and 5 others like this

#4 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 03:33 AM

Hey thanks alot for that timely reply to my thread :) so far I have done a few extractions of deem, and although this isnt the same thing I have accomplished automated growth of pan cyans which I mention because this is just one of tgose things that takes alot of knowledge alot of research and steps.

I'm not trying to do this in my kitchen either. I have a child and wife. She hates it when I use the kitchen! Lol. No, I have a space apart from my home that's RN being repurposed for different such experiments where a few very knowledgeable adults have decided we have learned fron experience that although we CAN do our hobbies at home its just not a long term option.

Basically we will be just growing some plants in one room and possibly some booms and then ive been assigned my own space basically for storing and an extra pair of hands to help me with my chem projects.

Most of the time tho these supplies will not even be out nearly all of the time they will put away out of sight out of mind. And I'm not planning on doing anything too crazy. Probably shouldnt even be doing this stuff but if I am I want to do it correctly and safely even if only occasionally.

#5 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 03:38 AM

As of right this moment the only materials i dedicated to use for extraction right now are deems, harmala, and probably mesc. But I am not jumping into anything right this second. I am trying to plan meticulously as I can, before I execute.

I am definitely not buying anything online to my home and chemicals wise nothing at all!

Ive got an accoubt at the nexus and am doing as much reading as I can at the moment.

#6 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 03:39 AM

I hope that my replies make youvless uncomfortable! I'm just trying to carry out my ideas and we'll I believe I was being sonewhat vague on purpose perhaps! Thats my fault.
  • Phineas_Carmichael likes this

#7 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 03:43 AM

Chemistry is just something I really really enjoy and since this space has opened up I figure its a good time to begin gathering instruments and get some stuff done :)

#8 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 942 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:23 AM

Hey Phin you forgot -
This shit can land you in federal prison.

As well as paying cash buy everything separately - don’t walk up to the checkout with muriatic acid, lye, rubber gloves, and a respirator.
Various solvents can be for cleaning metal parts (toluene) thinning varnish (naptha) or thinning shellac (acetone). Have an answer because they can and do ask. I once had to explain that I already had odorless mineral spirits and that I needed the toluene to thin the first coat of varnish for better initial penetration.

Also be aware that in some jurisdictions simply possessing lab glass can get you intent to manufacture.
  • Arathu, Phineas_Carmichael, Skywatcher and 2 others like this

#9 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 03:39 PM

Damn I didnt know that about bit about just owning glass can get you charges. Ofcourse you would have to have the organic materials as well but that implies they dont need to have found end product on you or in the middle of extraction. Definitely something for me to think about

#10 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:05 PM

I think that I may end up just getting one piece of equipment every couple months and I will try to find second hand things so there is less of a trail and all. Probably won't end up needing anything for a long while anyways. I'm still only humoring this idea while I work up to actually doing something about it. I may hold off indefinitely but not sure yet. Still watching all the pieces where they fall in consideration to some other things before I can do anything.

Well, these are all really good awesome pieces of advise.. If you all have any thoughts on anything else related to supplies or anything else that would be great.

You know I kind of understand the gravity of the situation and although you think grabbing a piece of equipment here and there and building my stuff up slowly may seem purely lackadaisical, I assure you that its intentional and deliberate so as not to attract a bunch of attention and to do it when it's from the occasion that its on my terms and not look like im buying a whole lab all at once and so on and so forth.

Will rethink a few things I'll get into later tho. Gotta go for now thanks for the advice.

#11 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 942 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:47 PM

Damn I didnt know that about bit about just owning glass can get you charges. Ofcourse you would have to have the organic materials as well but that implies they dont need to have found end product on you or in the middle of extraction. Definitely something for me to think about

Do your homework. Just one example -

“ SB 616 (86th Legislative Session) amends Texas Health and Safety Code Chapter 481 to repeal the requirement of a permit and the offense for failing to obtain a permit. The bill retains the requirements that anyone who uses a precursor chemical or laboratory apparatus must:

Submit loss or theft reports to the department,
Maintain records and inventories in accordance with department rules, and
Allow a member of the department or a peace officer to conduct audits and inspect records.”

In reality all you really need is a sep funnel and you can improvise that. Everything else can be done with kitchen equipment.

#12 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 07:27 PM

Well I think ive been talked out of doing anything extensive equipment wise for now you guys are talking some sense into me I think. I appreciate it.

#13 Phineas_Carmichael

Phineas_Carmichael

Hooloovoo

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,972 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2021 - 12:50 AM

Hey Phin you forgot -
This shit can land you in federal prison.

I always forget that shit! Thanks for the reminder that some places have more restrictive laws than others too.

Basically we will be just growing some plants in one room and possibly some booms and then ive been assigned my own space basically for storing and an extra pair of hands to help me with my chem projects.

Most of the time tho these supplies will not even be out nearly all of the time they will put away out of sight out of mind. 

Even if the plants are legal where you are, just having lab equipment tucked away in a closet of the same house is enough for a "conspiracy to manufacture a controlled substance" charge that someone will have to plea-bargain away, or pay an attorney to fight. It's like how having a handgun automatically makes any minor drug charge 100 times worse. 

In reality all you really need is a sep funnel and you can improvise that. Everything else can be done with kitchen equipment.

Williams Sonoma used to sell a really nice 1qt pyrex "gravy separator" that I think everyone should have...

Well I think ive been talked out of doing anything extensive equipment wise for now you guys are talking some sense into me I think. I appreciate it.

It is never my intent to talk someone out of enjoying chemistry and, like I said before, I'm always more than happy to "talk shop." You want to know about soxhlet extractors? Sure, I'll spew my word-vomit into the void. Want to tinker with some jars, a water aspirator, and a bucket? If you're mechanically inclined you could totally build an improvised rotovap. You want to amass a bunch of unnecessary equipment so you can feel like Walter White? Just too dangerous, man.

#14 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:18 AM

Lol that mad me laugh. Thanks for bringing me down lightly I'm more than convinved this is a bad idea atleast for the foreseeable future. That Walter White line was a kicker tho. I may message ya just to bs sometime if your into it :) I really do enjoy how reliably I get good stimulus and advice here on the site.

#15 Chips101

Chips101

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 04:25 PM

Hey guys, not gonna have any fruits for a hot minute and so, ive been thinking about doing some other experiment in the meantime to peek my interests.

I was thinking about getting some actual scientific instrumentation going so that in the future if I come across organic materials I will feel even more excited and ready and rearing to get shit done. I just like having all of the tools that make life easy and fun? I feel like even tho i dont need tgese things to do extractions it would just be subjectively *funner* to have the things that can make the process faster easier more efficient. Plus, ive never worked in a lab ever its just something I'm interested in!

Anyways, dont know much about this subject and have some questions. Supplies wise this is what i have listed..

Magnetic stirrer

Thanks gang!

Ok I'm gonna have to keep an eye on this post I could have used this info years ago. If i can't afford "it" i can make it and if i can make it i probably shouldn't be using "it". In my case i find it to be a consuming drive to create something great that I want to ingest to explore

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#16 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 942 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2021 - 06:01 PM

Can I interest you in a beer bottle HCl gas generator?

I need to get a gravy separator. For gravy not extractions. Though I did once see Julia Child haul out a sep funnel to defat stock. Nice turnabout there.

#17 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:04 AM

Lol nice. ..

#18 Sharonlovesu2

Sharonlovesu2

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 01:27 PM

Magnetic stirrer

Thanks gang!

Look into your local university and online lab surpluses. The local University as all of them sell the used lab equipment for good prices some even auction. Its worth the time trust..
  • bezevo likes this

#19 UnHeisenbug

UnHeisenbug

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 05:09 PM

Magnetic stirrer

Thanks gang!

Hey DarkNchildlike,

I think those first three you could get for really cheap quality for less than 150 USD all together. Although cheap glassware can have less functionality in future. For example, I bought a cheap distillation column that does not have ball joints on one side. Therefore, if I would need another distillation column if I wanted to do vacuum distillation.

I heard a bit of advice about getting started. Find an chemical experiment/process you want to try and buy the glassware necessary for that experiment/process and slowly build your lab that way. If your just learning about these things ( as am I ) then start with simple and easy experiments that do not require many tools. Than as you learn more buy more.

I hope that helps.

I'd really love to hear what ideas you have for experiments!

Best of luck,

UnHeisenbug

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!