• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,640 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2021 - 08:48 PM

You should email Warren Buffet and ask him how to make the currency conversion. Oh wait we're not in the club.
Not that I make any significant investments but still.. for shame.

Me neither. I can afford to lose whatever I've got in alt-currency.

But it's precisely people like us that were key to this ongoing historic event. It's like voting; your vote ain't really worth squat. But a few million others on the same page can get some shit done.

This is why we need to get as many small retail investors in on this as possible.

The little fish always gets eaten by the big fish, but the big fish has a problem when it bumps into a huge school of very angry piranha who've been cooped up in their little aquariums for a year running out of money and sanity.

• kcmoxtractor, makinbones69 and Salty117 like this

#22 GORF

GORF

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:09 PM

So a hedgefund director can appear on Cramer and tell people to get out of some stock or another, in order to insure that their short position is a good profit maker.
But it becomes market manipulation if a bunch of redditors do it.

Can they be anymore underhanded and two-faced? What a bunch of shit eating schmucks
  • FLASHINGROOSTER and rockyfungus like this

#23 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:44 PM

But it's precisely people like us that were key to this ongoing historic event. It's like voting; your vote ain't really worth squat. But a few million others on the same page can get some shit done.

This is why we need to get as many small retail investors in on this as possible.

That's what makes wallstreetbets so special. Before GME went to the moon WSB was at 2.5 million members, since then it's increased to 5.5 million members. You can bet your ass they'll find another hedge short to squeeze.

I would recommend jointing r/wallstreetbets on reddit ASAP. There's a chance they might make the group closed (again, it happens pretty often) so you have to he a member to view the content. They're (WSB) recognizing the power of public crowd sourcing and it's going to gain more steam.
  • TVCasualty, Juthro, Boebs and 2 others like this

#24 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,640 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2021 - 12:38 AM

That's good because there's going to need to be a big crowd-sourced think tank kind of effort to continue to be creative in exploring novel strategies like this since all strategies have their culminating points of success just before your adversary adapts to them, after which point using them again wipes you out since they'll be waiting and counting on you.

And even if they can't come up with a counter-move that stops squeezes nobody's going to want to risk shorting anything after a while so at some point one way or another there won't be targets to go after.

It's so rare to win a battle that it feels like winning a war. But it ain't over yet by a long shot.

A next step might be an underground currency based on flash drives and QR codes. Which would just be an existing cryptocurrency upgraded to be able to be exchanged directly person to person (in person, like cash) and is widely enough adopted to actually work as such. All it takes is a critical mass of adoption to reach the tipping point, and as fucked as it is in so many ways social media might finally have become the catalyst that can make it happen.Tell a friend.

Still, the backlash must be expected and planned for. A peek at U.S. history suggests that the most heinous, blasphemous crime possible to commit as far as the state and ruling class are concerned is to fuck with the money.  :ph34r:

I bet they wish they'd cut loose with a decent COVID relief package back when it might have mattered and all the rabble wouldn't have been so easy to rouse now while we're still so deep in all this pandemic madness. I'm taking for granted here that the mega-corps and the gov't at the levels where it counts are ultimately a monolith, and just as cold.

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#25 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,556 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2021 - 03:54 AM

My fear now is that when the system takes a hit, shit rolls down hill. 

I'm all for sticking it to the system, but why do I wonder if in the end this isn't going to come out of someone's retirement plan that invested in those hedge funds.  Big money never takes the hit alone, they transfer it down hill, at least IME.

I'm by no means trying to defend the system, I'm just trying to point out the blade cuts both ways, and that a victory doesn't mean we are winning.

Edited by Juthro, 29 January 2021 - 03:59 AM.

• Myc and makinbones69 like this

#26 GORF

GORF

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 07:58 AM

When the printing presses spit out the trillion dollars that is one too many for the economy to support
This whole mess is going to crash like a house of cards. If you are counting on your 401k to be there it will
be bad news.
The ONLY reason the US economy has been able to do it successfully so far is due to our status as the "peg"
currency for the world.
When that ends the interest comes due.

#27 GORF

GORF

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 08:01 AM

Ask Germany or Zimbabwe or Venezuela how well printing money really worked out for them and realize that we are doing it at a rate that dwarfs them all

#28 GORF

GORF

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 08:04 AM

When it goes belly up and most of us are begging for food scraps the chance to turn it around will be far behind us.
They know it and are prepared for it. It will land on our heads like a mountain of shit

#29 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,640 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2021 - 11:07 AM

No matter how much I read about any of this stuff playing the game still feels like tossing coins into a tornado and hoping dollars fly back out. Sometimes, they do. But mostly they don't and you lose your coins.

But the inherent Chaos within such mind-bending complexity is the crack that lets the light get in and keeps the future unpredictable.

#30 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,640 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2021 - 11:25 AM

A quick introduction to the stock market and its relationship with the economy:

post-102948-0-19082500-1611937194.jpg

And this is a good summary explanation of some of the tactical fuckery employed to stop the Game Stop squeeze:

GAMESTOP.jpg

It gets confusing fast since there are two companies involved whose name begins with "Citadel" and they're on opposite sides of it.

Attached Thumbnails

• TheEconomy.jpg

Edited by TVCasualty, 29 January 2021 - 11:26 AM.

• Myc, GORF and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#31 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,640 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2021 - 11:35 AM

The house always wins. How dare those gamblers cheat the house

They will bribe some Washington committee members and get a new rule now.

The mask has come off

And so have our gloves.

Ol' Leon sure shat the bed in this interview wherein he lays it out loud and clear that We the Peasants have no business playing his game. This is what they call "saying the quiet part out loud."

[Direct Link]

Imagine being a billionaire and still being so mean and seething...

God damn it, the fuckers edited out the part of the interview that I linked it for. I can't find it on youtube anywhere, oddly enough.

This is what I was referring to when I mentioned the quiet part: https://twitter.com/...864967011475456

• Myc likes this

#32 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,640 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2021 - 11:49 AM

Okay.

While that clip was edited, he still did frame the very wealthy paying their "fair share" as a "bullshit concept." So IMO the editing was superfluous and didn't really misrepresent him even if it messed with the context of some of his comments.

Laura Unger's comments, on the other hand, were not edited. The tweet reads "Former SEC Commissioner Laura Unger compares short squeeze to January 6th at the Capitol" and you can see the clip here: https://twitter.com/...915156199944194

#33 GORF

GORF

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 11:56 AM

They don't want to hear our opinion

They want to hear their words coming out of our mouths

#34 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2021 - 12:03 PM

Plus didn't they make it impossible to short the stock yet still allow the stock to be bought up as complete shares as of yesterday? An attempt to let the billionaires who shorted the stock and lost an opportunity to recover some of their losses? That was how I interpreted it. A bending of the law to allow people who can afford to buy shares outright the opportunity to recover some of what they lost on the short game.
I admit I don't know alot about the market. But that was what I understood it to be.
The currency bit confuses me some. Because I was under the impression that paper money and electronic money has had only perceived value since the damn beginning almost.

Edited by makinbones69, 29 January 2021 - 12:06 PM.

#35 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2021 - 05:29 PM

It's okay to use main stream corporate media to manipulate stocks but how dare those peasants use a forum to do the same thing.

Just watch the first part of this clip where he talks about the Hilton hotels short. Or if you can handle fox watch the whole thing..

There is already speculation that the reason for the huge price increase's on those stocks were the fact that other hedge funds caught onto what was happening and decided to join in on the fun. Apparently it takes a shit ton of money to move the price that much

If anything comes out of this it's exposing the real power structures that exists. Like the idea that robin hood app is for the people. It's really controlled by the hedge funds to sucker inexperienced people out of their money, for once the people flip the script and they shut it down... Oh but you can still conveniently sell your stock, the only move that those hedge funds want to happen right now, what a strange coincidence.... and now they are trying to accuse those forums of hate speech to get them shut down, it's pathetic to watch these babies squirm. They had their day yesterday to pause and recover what they could, it's unreal

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 29 January 2021 - 06:09 PM.

• makinbones69 likes this

#36 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2021 - 07:22 PM

The best part is the app is named Robin hood and their actions are a 180 from what people have been lead to believe by the myth. Except remember I was raised with sense not to believe much in paper money so for people like me we always knew Robin hoods tale was bullshit.
If there ever was a Robin hood I doubt he was givin away gold. Food maybe and some shelter to establish and garner support of the sheep. But he's keeping that gold.

Edited by makinbones69, 29 January 2021 - 07:23 PM.

#37 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,640 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2021 - 10:56 AM

Short Grape-Nuts!

That could probably use some context.

They're taking it to the moon on Amazon, ebay, and anywhere else you can arbitrage breakfast cereal. Production is ramping up, which means the price is going to come back down hard real soon so it's time to short 'em!

Right now 4 boxes are going for $59.96!  https://www.amazon.c...=grocery&sr=1-4

The current bid for a SINGLE box on Ebay is $26.00 (as of this writing) plus $7.75 in shipping: https://www.ebay.com...kIAAOSwniZgDFUJ

[Note: Don't really try to short Grape-Nuts even though what's going on is kind of nuts]

#38 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2021 - 11:47 AM

I think the funniest thing in all this has been reading that wallstreet bets page. Watching all those small bets pay off is a nice breath of fresh air in this congested climate of negativity that seems to be constant.  It's an awesome look into the possibility of this world and at the same time a scary stark reminder of how controlled everything really is.

There is something else behind that movement other than money when it comes to gamestop stock. There is genuine nostalgia and love of that classic mall store staple that means more than a few hundred dollars that they invested. There is potential for it to hold but you start to wonder how long before people give in to the money.

It's been exiting to watch to say the least, and I am foolishly thinking buying half a share even at this point.... three days for the deposit to clear.....

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 30 January 2021 - 11:48 AM.

#39 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,640 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2021 - 11:51 AM

So what happens when the price of Game Stock stock experiences the inevitable correction to come?

How does this end?

#40 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2021 - 01:24 PM

That is the ugly side of it really, somebody always loses. I think in this case this was the free market doing it's job. The 130 percent short seems like a gross abuse of the system so it seems fitting that similar abuse is used to correct that high risk behavior. Since asking nicely or the honor system sure doesn't seem to be working. But yeah then it becomes sort of a eye for and eye makes the whole world blind thing. They say shorting is an effective tool to route out overpriced overhyped stock's. Then the game stop squeeze is the tool that corrects short selling from getting out of control like it did

Gamestop will fall back down hard at some point but for the short term we can watch to see how the sqeeze plays out. Did the thursday shutdown buy enough time for the hedge funds to be able to wait it out?.

The fall of gamestop, it seems inevitable and high risk for that reason, at the end of the day a brick and motor franchise like that seems doomed to fail. It would have to pivot quite hard to stay relevant. What chance does a physical store like that have in the digital age of disease lockdown.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!