• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 terbium

terbium

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 08:33 PM

I would like a vacuum pump to use for vacuum filtration and vacuum concentrating extracts. In the old days I would have used a water aspirator for this. A chemical resistant diaphragm pump would also do. Looking on Amazon for a pump I see only imports of unknown brands. Can anyone recommend where to look to find good and suitable pump?

#2 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 728 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 07:58 PM

I use the Amazon Zeny Pumps. I was hesitant thinking I wouldn’t get many runs out of it, buts it been holding up. And it’s only like 80 bucks.
  • kcmoxtractor and terbium like this

#3 terbium

terbium

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 12:50 PM

Thanks. Yeah, at that price a pump like that is worth a try, I looked in the catalog of a large industrial hardware company and a similar pump there was many hundreds of dollars.

Or, perhaps I will go the water aspirator route. A water aspirator is what I used to use for solvent stripping and vacuum filtration once upon a time. My work bench is in my greenhouse, I have running water and power but I would use a recirculating pump and water bucket to power the aspirator.

Edited by terbium, 30 January 2021 - 12:50 PM.

#4 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 728 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 05:46 PM

Sounds like your bench is similar to mine, but I have a designated bench area for my fume hood where I do my boil downs. And a spot on the bench where I set up my vacuum pump. And my main workbench is where I do all my prep and seedlings and planting of other plants.

Always battling sqft’age, but thank god i have the space in my basement in the first place. Could always be worse. Haha.

The reviews on that Zeny pump are mixed as in people have gotten only 1 use. And reviews like me where it’s been holding up. (Personally I think the bad reviews are user error)

#5 GORF

GORF

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 509 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 06:30 PM

They are easy to repair and maintain.

Simple stainless steel Reed valves under the cover. Susceptible to hard water lime and calcium build up. Some CLR solution and a soft toothbrush gets them clean and then a little silicon grease to keep them clean. Don't be afraid to pop the cover and look when performance degrades.

#6 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,872 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:17 PM

Best Value Vacs oil free pumps are probably what you're looking for.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!