• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Chips101

Chips101

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 06:12 PM

On the 15th in a panic I made the snap decision to dehydrate my Maz. Tote. I boiled up a cup of h20 and covered it with a iso soaked paper towel while it cooled. I used maybe a 1/4 cup and poured it in between the tote and the sub. I do this with the room heater off ! My fruiting chamber has this cool personal fan that I've been using rather then fanning. Anyone see where this is going???

If you guessed, I forgot the heat was off and the fan ? Left on. You are right.
I woke up to a rh of 56% and a temp of 65°F by bed time it's running 95% and 75.6% only to wake up on the 17th and discover I left the fan on again! Again the rh is low around 50% but temps are ok. Just before it was lights out I take a peek. To me it didn't look good. So I decided I would stop the fruiting process and took a piece of wax paper over the surface and shut out the lights. Fast forward to this afternoon . I haven't been in the room since the 17th. When I saw the latest replies I gave things a look and this is what's up today feb 19th !!!!

Holy shit now what do I do? Mist fan no mist just fan I'm soooo close!!!! e294cfa161659ed21d74da10cdf9a361.jpg7d6c995bbfddf771cb025dce33f98940.jpg15d552259bf2094932e81246e077b90e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  • TVCasualty and jrh like this

#22 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 06:49 PM

Congrats! If you only have a few pins so far, maybe you should keep doing what you've been doing. I think one of the biggest issues we novices have is that we tend to overdo things. So my advice is to stay the course and get some more pins before you try something different.

For me, it was 4 days from pins to harvest, but maybe mine fruited fast.

Possibly it's a good idea to post daily photos here for a bit so you can get guidance from more experienced growers.

Edited by jrh, 19 February 2021 - 06:53 PM.

• Chips101 likes this

#23 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,952 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 07:10 PM

Success!

Gradually back off the mist as they mature, but keep the fresh air flowing or even increase it as they get larger (once the rest of the pins of this flush have set) since they tend to humidify the air a bit with all the surface area they create, and once the pins have set they can handle lower rH (which should be around 85% for bulk trays, though this doesn't have to be precise).

You're past the hard part, and unless you "love them to death" by poking at them (or messing with them at all besides fanning/misting) in the next few days you'll have a decent harvest. And unless you're making spore prints I highly recommend harvesting them just as or before the veils start to tear. Letting the caps open up all the way just makes a mess and won't give you any more dry weight than they had just before they opened (I've checked).

And be sure to dunk between flushes!

• Chips101 likes this

#24 Chips101

Chips101

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 07:44 PM

BTW, you had knots 3 days ago... Do you have pins yet.

I had no idea what I was really looking at. I've been a wild harvester since 92 or 3. I've been doing extractions on cacti and mimosa for the past 3 or 4 years. I was a gorrilla farmer in tn for twenty years and spent 5 or 6 years in trinity county California on a commercial grow. Having said all that. The required patients
And skill sets to cultivate mushrooms far exceeds all the rest. Only one way to go from here... next on my list. SYNTHESIS, If things go well here in the next year it's the only logical next step.

• TVCasualty and jrh like this

#25 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:28 PM

So, IME extremely limited though it is, when you start seeing little dots on the mycelium, whether it's on the surface or on the side (I know your tub is painted black, so you wouldn't see those, but they might be there), you're probably a few days from getting pins. Maybe 4-5 days? It probably varies by variety and conditions. The little dots are different than mycelium knotting up into bumps -- I'm not sure what those signify.

• Chips101 likes this

#26 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,952 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:37 PM

I grew pretty flowers in the hills of East Tennessee for a time myself.

Good times!

Reb

• Chips101 likes this

#27 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,952 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:38 PM

So, IME extremely limited though it is, when you start seeing little dots on the mycelium, whether it's on the surface or on the side (I know your tub is painted black, so you wouldn't see those, but they might be there), you're probably a few days from getting pins. Maybe 4-5 days? It probably varies by variety and conditions. The little dots are different than mycelium knotting up into bumps -- I'm not sure what those signify.

The dots are primordia. They become pins.

• Chips101 and jrh like this

#28 Chips101

Chips101

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 01:42 AM

Thought I would post these follow up pics I will be performing. a g2g transfer 2maro to bump up volume and stretch my time till agar arrives and a huge thanks to this community!!!! I have been keeping notes in the same type of laboratory notebook shulgan used I find it perfect for the type of notes one would keep while pursuing sound results. 1 notebook can cover a 90 day period and I can keep track of all my "projects" and my interactions with them. Just paddle down the long south American river to find one. I'll include a pic of what I'm talking about. 7163261a8408e9f6518be17759a63366.jpgb47b308274fa8ac3049beaa4bd6b3d8d.jpgaf5d862753652400170aa8b2db575bfd.jpg1b97b66c48b469cb4ab9936f8be9025b.jpg71458deda3c0a31fd7acb481dbcb1f46.jpg4695ee1b5407e8a16ecfd862a4ded9f3.jpg

• TVCasualty likes this

#29 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:11 AM

Pics of your growing shrooms are good. People can use them to give advice. For my part, with the whitish layer on the caps, I'm wondering if they're getting enough FAE.

Hopefully someone experienced can chime in.

#30 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 654 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:55 AM

The whitish layer you might be referring to is the remnants of the universal veil. As they enlarge you're left with the classic little white dots.

• jrh likes this

#31 Chips101

Chips101

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 68 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:08 PM

Success!!!e06c7e60c9b94b02c740d9e6b8419654.jpge656ea0961e6cfed72e566af3fa12610.jpg

#32 Chips101

Chips101

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 68 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:12 PM

Ok anyone know how to dry out popcorn it's been sterilized and has a lot of condensation in it? I was thinking a tub sprayed down with iso and a 1lbs of damprid for 24hrs? Any advice greatly appreciated I'm held up on a g2g transfer and my jars are way finished.

#33 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,987 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 06:20 PM

Attempting to dry out sterilized popcorn is not going to end well. You might be able to reload jars with a little verm or powdered coir added to absorb the moisture and resterilize but I am not sure if the popcorn would take a second sterilization without becoming a shit show.

Edited by sandman, Yesterday, 06:20 PM.

• Chips101 likes this

#34 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 435 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:29 PM

Better to keep your good spawn and make new popcorn than have it all go bacterial.

• sandman and Chips101 like this

#35 Chips101

Chips101

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 68 posts

Posted Today, 02:00 AM

Good to know . Not sure why it's so wet though? I added in my corn simmered 45mins, shut off the heat and let cool about 4 hrs, spread out on towels and dried about a hour. Patted it off and loaded them cover the tops with foil and PC'd 2 hrs. Let cool till am pulled um out to go in the glove box. And I used vermiculite before I loaded my grain ( about a tablespoon dry) ? Anyone see what I did wrong?

#36 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,987 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 06:40 AM

It is normal for grains to look way wetter after PC.

Not sure if it is the temperature causing condensation or what but it always comes out wetter lookin than it came in.

Have you tried shaking one up and giving it some time  to see if there is any pooling in the bottom?

It may just be condensation around the outside of the jar that can be easily reabsorbed.

Edited by sandman, Today, 06:41 AM.

• jrh likes this

#37 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 435 posts

Posted Today, 11:20 AM

Heat drives the moisture away. As your jar cools after being PC, it always starts to cool from the outside toward the inside, and moisture gets driven from the corn to the glass. That's also why you see condensation in containers as the substrate colonizes -- the mycelial growth generates warmth.

• rockyfungus likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!