• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 terbium

terbium

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 12:37 PM

If poppies are grown indoors such that insect pollinators cannot access the flowers, is it beneficial to hand pollinate?

How would one go about cross-pollinating poppies for breeding?

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 8,022 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2021 - 07:07 PM

Have you some indoor flower experience yet? Are you using 1000 w metal halides or HPS? I am going out on limb and guessing that you are asking  these poppy questions because have big ideas for growing some indoor poppies. I will say this in hopes that you can show me otherwise, But I wouldn't get very excited about an indoor poppy grow. They do not do well indoors. I have seen a couple of people pull it off well but they were running very expensive and elaborate MJ set ups with a few poppies in the gaps. Its easy to think about a small picture of tossing 30 seeds in a pot and expecting 30 pods in a few months, but it just doesn't work that way. If you are lucky most of the seedlings will die off and one survives to grow half the size you want. But unless you are hardening off from the moment they sprout with bright light, extreme temperature swings with a fan blasted at them, you will be lucky to have them survive tow weeks.

On the other hand if you live in the Northern hemisphere, you literally toss some seed in the crappiest soil you have in your yard on a south facing area and be harvesting poppies in June. And I mean that literally like NOW! The snow has just melted here and I am expecting more snow, the sprouts that I see popping up in between the snow I know are going give me the best blooms in June. They will be the most hardiest even though you think it would make sense to sow my seed after the last frost. You should expect your poppies to be blooming just after you bulbs are done and just before the rest of your garden starts to mature. Unless you have those crappy conditions indoors I wouldn't expect very good results.

• rockyfungus likes this

#3 terbium

terbium

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 10:20 PM

Ok, whatever, I take this to mean that you have no experience or knowledge of hand pollinating poppies.

Anyone else?

#4 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,278 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2021 - 10:47 PM

FNG's :rolleyes: :laugh:

• coorsmikey and rockyfungus like this

#5 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 873 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 11:01 PM

Here's a detailed explanation, "yeah but that's your opinion man!"

#6 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 8,022 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2021 - 11:02 AM

Ok, whatever, I take this to mean that you have no experience or knowledge of hand pollinating poppies.

Anyone else?

It actually was meant that since you don't you have the experience and knowledge,( thus why you are asking) You will most likely not need to hand pollinate your indoor poppies. I see now that my experience shared was wasted unless somehow the offense you took to them actually drives you to prove otherwise. I am completely Ok just sitting back an watching this thread progress without me in it.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!