• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zentatonic

zentatonic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 04:20 PM

I'm doing my first agar experiments. 4 different multi-spore syringes (different strains and vendors). So far, the results and degree of differences is an eye opener. I can see why agar is recommended for mss's.

My question is: when you are attempting to clean up spores from a syringe...do you want to normally transfer clean myc asap (the day you spot myc) to a fresh plate, or wait and see what else pops up?

Edited by Myc, 08 February 2021 - 05:42 PM.

#2 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 681 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 07:19 PM

Most recommend transferring the first discernible part of clean myc.

If you are talking about the differences in a germ plate or the first plate from syringe, it's not going to look like recognizable myc, it's a ton of it.

There's nothing to clean up, you just want to make sure you only got myc.

I tend to let my 2nd plate grow out roughly 1-2cm, and select from there. Then I transfer a bit from my 2nd to a 3rd and let it grow edge-edge, or close to edge and either use it or refrigerate it for later.

Edited by rockyfungus, 08 February 2021 - 07:19 PM.

• zentatonic likes this

#3 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,000 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2021 - 04:34 PM

When you say "clean up" do you mean the syringe is particularly dirty or you are just talking starting general spore syringe ms to work on isolating a pure strain?

I like to let the growth organize into some things to pick from at least if trying to isolate strains. Several days, but half the plate growth or less.

I'm not just taking the first thing that pops up.

Edited by sandman, 09 February 2021 - 04:34 PM.

• Microbe, pastyoureyes and bezevo like this

#4 natedawgnow

natedawgnow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 01:03 PM

Taking the first thing that pops up from spore drop/swab isnt terrible practice. There will be dozens if not hundreds of individual strains in any little bit of initial germination. I like to pick quick, transfer til clean, grow then clone.

More often than not i'll let the plate sit around til it pins and then i'll take a few clones from the plate pins. Faster than doing a full grow to clone hunt and I usually get pretty aggressive cultures from plate pins.
  • vork21 likes this

#5 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 02:47 PM

IMG_20200405_125951.jpg

Thats my first PE6 MS plate.

After a while there formed more and more thicker "colonies".

Decided to let it grow for a while and see what else shows up.

Middle circle is the spores, right circle is what I decided to transfer.

I'd personally wait to give it some time to grow out and then pick a sector to transfer.

The sooner you transfer, the more transfers you need to get to solid agressive growth.

I'd only transfer asap when you see theres a mold starting to grow and transfer before that biatch produces spores 

• sandman likes this

#6 zentatonic

zentatonic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 11:09 PM

I've had different results from different vendors, for sure. Had a little bacteria on a wild print...most are clean, though. Mostly cutting back on genetics, I think is what I'm doing and isolating particularly vigorous spots...

When you say "clean up" do you mean the syringe is particularly dirty or you are just talking starting general spore syringe ms to work on isolating a pure strain?

I like to let the growth organize into some things to pick from at least if trying to isolate strains. Several days, but half the plate growth or less.

I'm not just taking the first thing that pops up.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!