• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 03:58 PM

Hey guys, I'm back from a really long hiatus. Man have I been busy! I now have a Flow Hood and have my sights on becoming a spore vendor soon. So be on the lookout for Egon's Desk Mycology coming to reddit and soon the World Wide Web. Hope to have a website up and running soon. 008e780e94c75b8c2ae70058240b650c.jpg
  • sandman, hyphaenation, Myc and 3 others like this

#2 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 06:47 PM

Just to answer a couple questions: The filter is a 24×24×6 99.997% at .03 microns from spycor.com. The motor is the Dayton 1tdt9 from electricmotorwarehouse.com . The main filter housing is 3/4" maple plywood and the motor housing is 1/2" birch.

#3 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 08:31 PM

Are u selling this buzz?

We've never met really before but ive seen you around alot.

Anyways, its great to meet you :D

#4 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 02:59 AM

No, I am not selling this, I built it to assure that I am working in a clean and comfortable environment. I will hopefully be a mycology vendor soon!
  • sandman likes this

#5 EYMAIOS

EYMAIOS

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 215 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 07:52 AM

No, I am not selling this, I built it to assure that I am working in a clean and comfortable environment. I will hopefully be a mycology vendor soon!

Proposing a cheap but extemely crutial addition:

Construct a perimeter extension min 1 foot long using any cleanable material that will offer linear steady flow.
Any MDF board with plastic surfacing does fine.

At the photo, under the working space there is a horizontal slit 4inch deep chunnel that supplies with the filtered air the backside ventilator.

Plus a nylon sheet covers half the front opening guaranting protection.

IMG_2063.jpg

#6 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,022 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2021 - 11:02 AM

Nice hoods!

The benefit of adding the walls is pretty negligible because they are themselves a path of backwashed air to run back against the flow and must be kept clear of just like the edge.

If you ran a thick smoke test along any of the walls or work table of your hood you will see the smoke behaves wacky against the surfaces and there are some eddies that actually backflow against the stream of clean air.

That's why you don't work directly on the work table surface (use a wire rack riser) and avoid the walls of your hood by several inches at least. 

• EYMAIOS and bezevo like this

#7 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 11:30 AM

Proposing a cheap but extemely crutial addition:
Construct a perimeter extension min 1 foot long using any cleanable material that will offer linear steady flow.
Any MDF board with plastic surfacing does fine.

At the photo, under the working space there is a horizontal slit 4inch deep chunnel that supplies with the filtered air the backside ventilator.
Plus a nylon sheet covers half the front opening guaranting protection.

attachicon.gifIMG_2063.jpg
Will consider the addition. Just waiting for a better work table that can take the additional weight.

#8 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,022 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2021 - 12:21 PM

What is your method of printing going to look like?

#9 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 02:07 PM

Yeah that will be interesting, I dont think ive really seen many teks on how to get really good results on clean spore prints. Let alone teks that include a flowhood.

#10 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,022 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2021 - 05:03 PM

Yea I don't incorporate my flowhood into my printing at all, personally.

Love to see what you are cooking up printing wise buzz

#11 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,166 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2021 - 06:07 PM

Yeah that will be interesting, I dont think ive really seen many teks on how to get really good results on clean spore prints. Let alone teks that include a flowhood.

There are literally a shit ton of these teks on this site. Or that other site I rarely go to because of too many d-bags.

You-tube is overflowing with teks now that legalization has begun. Plus all these people at home in quarantine, I suspect a lot more growing is going on.

Anyway, here's a great agar Tek video. This is the method and recipe I use and it works every time. I have only ever had 1 plate contaminated In hundreds of plates. I use the flow hood I built - (and the tek for my hood is on this 'topia).

[Direct Link]

Build yourself a flowhood including the filter (don't do that, buy your filter, it's cheaper) https://mycotopia.ne...steampunk's

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 18 February 2021 - 06:13 PM.

#12 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 06:12 PM

Prints will still be made in a SAB but all agar and grain work will be done in front of the flow hood. I'll let you all know more as I progress.
  • sandman and SteampunkScientist like this

#13 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,632 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2021 - 08:47 PM

Yea I don't incorporate my flowhood into my printing at all, personally.

Love to see what you are cooking up printing wise buzz

Same here. This is where a still air box comes in especially handy IMO. Not saying that you can't print in front of a flow hood.
  • sandman likes this

#14 EYMAIOS

EYMAIOS

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 215 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 03:41 AM

Nice hoods!

The benefit of adding the walls is pretty negligible because they are themselves a path of backwashed air to run back against the flow and must be kept clear of just like the edge.

If you ran a thick smoke test along any of the walls or work table of your hood you will see the smoke behaves wacky against the surfaces and there are some eddies that actually backflow against the stream of clean air.

That's why you don't work directly on the work table surface (use a wire rack riser) and avoid the walls of your hood by several inches at least. 

I do thank you for the experienced advise.

I have being avoiding to add a wire rack riser because I need a flat surface to work on.
Will it be OK if I use a sterile metal sheet on top of the wire rack riser?
How many inches should it be raised?

#15 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,022 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:08 AM

Nice hoods!

I do thank you for the experienced advise.

I have being avoiding to add a wire rack riser because I need a flat surface to work on.
Will it be OK if I use a sterile metal sheet on top of the wire rack riser?
How many inches should it be raised?

It should be raised at least two inches. The main point being to break up where the bottom of anything touches the table because this creates a vortex or eddie if you will that can connect all the way to the outside room air.

You could likely use a flat surface on top of the riser. I don't see why not. As long as the legs and sides arent solid where it connects to the table so that a vortex cant crawl down and around all wacky.

Edited by sandman, 19 February 2021 - 08:24 AM.

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#16 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,166 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:26 AM

if you have a vape pen or other source of mist or smoke, you can actually see the flow patterns and where it gets all tangled - you want to stay in "the smooth"   :biggrin:

#17 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:32 AM

Honey, I need to buy this delta 8 thc vape pen so that when I eventually buy/build my LFH, I'll be able to test it.

#18 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,022 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:33 AM

Or if you would like a really thick smoke that doesn't dissipate as fast as vape  and can give you a really stunning view of the airflow patterns https://store.meterm...idges-p605.aspx

Edited by sandman, 19 February 2021 - 08:34 AM.

#19 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:41 AM

My husband would probably kill me unless I used the smoke to escape like a ninja.

• sandman likes this

#20 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,022 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 09:07 AM

If you aren't "Ninja Vanish"ing with these then I am sorely disappointed in you 

• buzzkilluton and jrh like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!