hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2021 - 01:46 AM

Drilling PF Cakes

Greetings. I have been working with GLC to inoculate BRF jars. The myc in the GLC is chunky and it can clog needles pretty easy. I don't have any large size needles on hand so I wanted to improvise a "GLC Dabber" that would shoot a quantity of liquid culture into a jar. It was made by drilling a hole in a lid and inserting a needle tip that had it's end cut off and it was guerilla glued on the top side.

post-104353-0-60523900-1613112304_thumb.

post-104353-0-99798400-1613112317_thumb.

post-104353-0-55004000-1613112367_thumb.

post-104353-0-39223900-1613112338_thumb.

It worked fine on grain jars. I simply sterilized the dabber on a dummy-jar and then swapped it out with the lid on the GLC jar (in my clean area). Then I slide back the lid on each grain jar and gravity and the flick of a wrist put out exactly 3 cc of liquid every shot (I measured by dabbing into a syringe). Grain jars are a go and it's easy to dab into.

post-104353-0-83734600-1613113352_thumb. GLC Dabber. Polyfil stuffed in when not being used....tinfoil cap otherwise. Can be PC'd.

As far as BRF cakes go I was working on some jars and I realized it would be difficult with equipment on hand to use syringes to inject the GLC. With the verm layer on top it's kind of tricky to use the dabber to just pour the liquid on the top where the verm is.

I started thinking about the idea of drilling a hole with a clean chop-stick on the side of the jar. I tried it out and it seemed to "drill" okay... Next thought was, well that's cool but colonization would probably happen faster with an even start down the middle of the cake.

So I drilled a hole in the middle and each time i carefully pull out the chop-stick so as to not block the freshly drilled hole with debris.  Put on my lids and breathers. PC'd that as per usual and when cooled I took my clean area. Opened each lid and dabbed the appropriate  hole. I gave two shots to each jar or 6 cc GLC solution.

24 hours later you can see very good growth in all the jars! The side-drilled ones did very well and there is tons of obvious growth. To check the middle-drilled hole one has to flip the jar and look underneath.

post-104353-0-93909700-1613112346_thumb.

post-104353-0-48163000-1613112355_thumb. You can see a purplish-blue hue in some from recovering myc that was shaken.

post-104353-0-86474000-1613112328_thumb. Some myc definitely made it to the bottom verm layer...

Some good live myc trickled down to the bottom verm layer and you can see it growing ...radiating out 360. I'm happy with the way its going and its fun to try new things.

Keep you posted.

Attached Thumbnails

• now1.jpg
  • now2.jpg
  • now3.jpg
  • now4.jpg
  • now5.jpg
  • now6.jpg
  • now9.jpg
  • now8.jpg

Edited by hyphaenation, 12 February 2021 - 02:38 AM.

• Arathu, EYMAIOS, Microbe and 1 other like this

#2 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 02:51 AM

Try using an injector for farm animals. They usually have a thick guage syringe. I also believe they can be ran through a sterilization cycle since they are usually stainless steel and glass. Look at your local feed store or tractor supply. You will only need an injection port that can take that large of a needle.
  • hyphaenation likes this

#3 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2021 - 03:01 AM

Thanks. Yeah , no end to great stuff you can obtain. I should have made it more clear...I was only trying to make a tool with stuff literally in my kitchen on hand.

if I searched hard enough I could possibly even find my fat sized needles. Thing is I use a SAB bag type thing and 'dabbing GLC is easier for me then using syringes, especially the 60 cc type that are quote unruly.

i like your advice though...thanks.

Edited by hyphaenation, 12 February 2021 - 03:02 AM.

• coorsmikey and buzzkilluton like this

#4 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2021 - 05:00 PM

1.5 days after inoculating the drilled holes with GLC from the dabber.

Attached Thumbnails

• noww33.jpg

#5 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,536 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2021 - 06:00 PM

I always LOVE watching hyph grow mushrooms.....great stuff brother!

A

• hyphaenation likes this

#6 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2021 - 06:20 PM

Mutual of Bro'maha dude!

• Arathu likes this

#7 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 869 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2021 - 12:51 AM

So you are opening your jars in this "Still Air Bag"?

First post made me think you were doing this open air.

Edited by pastyoureyes, 16 February 2021 - 12:51 AM.

#8 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2021 - 01:56 AM

Yeah, eveything done inside the bag as far as inoculation/transfer etc.

#9 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 05:54 AM

So that still air bag works eh?

I always thought it was a myth.

The GLC came from the popcorn jars did it not? Everytime I tryed a glc with grains it failed or I just couldnt wrap my head around not just g2g'ing them and ultimately stuck with g2g rather then perfecting glc.

The primary issue I had with glc is that I only have one filter port on my jar lids and its just covered with micropore tape and whenever drawing in the liquid the micropore tape filter would get wet and cross contamination became a problem. I need to invest in some lids with self healing injector ports and filter material that can get saturated by nutrient rich solution and not contaminate.

#10 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,601 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2021 - 08:14 AM

So that still air bag works eh?

I always thought it was a myth.

The GLC came from the popcorn jars did it not? Everytime I tryed a glc with grains it failed or I just couldnt wrap my head around not just g2g'ing them and ultimately stuck with g2g rather then perfecting glc.

The primary issue I had with glc is that I only have one filter port on my jar lids and its just covered with micropore tape and whenever drawing in the liquid the micropore tape filter would get wet and cross contamination became a problem. I need to invest in some lids with self healing injector ports and filter material that can get saturated by nutrient rich solution and not contaminate.

I use to use eazyfelt held in place with micropore tape and i had the same issue with my filters getting wet. I just sprayed the filter with 10% bleach and then covered with another layer of tape after it dried. Eazyfelt and micropore tape is cheap so i considered them disposable.

I copied workmans No Tilt Jar Lids and they work really well. I still have them but i simply use a long needles now 6" so if i use larger jars, i don't have to tilt as much. I also use syringe filters now, i have yet to see any liquid pass through them......they are the yellow ones so 0.22 μm.

#11 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 08:19 AM

6" needles? Are the blunt on the end? Any problems getting them through a SHIP?

#12 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 02:01 PM

Not surprisingly the middle-drilled jars of PF colonized faster then the ones with a side-drilled hole...

I think it worked really well dabbing GLC down the middle hole. I will be trying that some more...

Attached Thumbnails

• noww361.jpg
  • noww098.jpg

Edited by hyphaenation, 21 February 2021 - 02:07 PM.

• Arathu and Microbe like this

#13 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 653 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 02:31 PM

Trying this with my next batch of barley-vermiculite jars, haven't quite figured 'em out. Success is 2/10 baby jars...

#14 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 02:44 PM

Might be difficult to drill a hole that stays intact in whole-grain... reason it works so good is because PF is ground up. Do you grind the barley like PF? Give some feedback on how it works at any rate.

#15 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,601 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 02:57 PM

6" needles? Are the blunt on the end? Any problems getting them through a SHIP?

They are sharps. They are 14 gauge so they do some damage to the ship. I have 100's of ships so i just replace as needed.

#16 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 03:11 PM

I have 100's of ships

Would that sort of make you an Admiral of your own fleet? 

• pastyoureyes likes this

#17 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,536 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 04:58 PM

My daughter would call Dad Joke on that one.......

Very cool stuff brother....nice even growth.....things could become quite predictable that way....

Each jar is a potential pixel, a mycelial island, in a bed inoculation grid.....whatever size desired......

A

#18 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 05:02 PM

Middle Earth
Middle of the road

Down the rabbit cake hole ...

Phocal-Point
Myco-Radiation

"Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to mold gold"

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot from 2021-02-21 14-12-30.png

Edited by hyphaenation, 21 February 2021 - 05:13 PM.

• Arathu and Microbe like this

#19 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 653 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 06:14 PM

Might be difficult to drill a hole that stays intact in whole-grain... reason it works so good is because PF is ground up. Do you grind the barley like PF? Give some feedback on how it works at any rate.

Why would I use vermiculite and whole grain...it's basically PF with barley instead of brown rice. Just denser/slower for whatever reason.

#20 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 06:19 PM

..it's basically PF with barley instead of brown rice.

Ah okay...glad I asked...cause I didn't know.

Why would I use vermiculite and whole grain..

Well... to absorb excess moisture from GLC inoc comes to mind... That's why I' use it as such personally...

You should be good to go for cake-hole! Hope it works for you.

Edited by hyphaenation, 21 February 2021 - 06:34 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!