#41 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 908 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2021 - 04:31 PM

I'm trying to rig something up with old RX bottles, they are pp5 and that lid fits 2 bottles technically.

Good to know. Are the lids of the RX bottle pp5 as well?

Edited by pastyoureyes, 14 February 2021 - 04:32 PM.

#42 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2021 - 04:32 PM

Are you swapping jar lids? If so is this done in open air?

I cant really see what's going on in the thumbnails in the original post so I'm not 100% certain I know what you are doing.

Yes swapping clean lids. I PC them in a PP5 tupperware and use that to store them in my clean area. There's a straight flat lid , a lid with a dabber nozzle and also straight lid with breather installed. All get PC'd and stored. Depending in which one I need at a given time I can grab it.

Clean area for me is a SAB ... Still-Air-Bag
I simply use a big ole brand new clear garbage bag (or a blue one).

Sucks what happened to the pictures that were imbedded...the ones below of the post do get big. I only take some pics in the open air to show. All work is done in the SAB...including the GLC milking. I show a picture there where i put the tightened apparatus in a new blue garbage bag...I did this inside SAB, Then I removed it from SAB and took picture outside of SAB. I could have done everything inside SAB and not double wrapped it but I wanted to watch closely and take a pic.

Edited by hyphaenation, 14 February 2021 - 04:34 PM.

#43 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 908 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2021 - 04:34 PM

I see the pics at the bottom now. Do you think the contraption will rust eventually?

#44 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2021 - 04:36 PM

No because I meticulously clean it every time and dry it right away... and then store.

Or else yeah it would deteriorate fast.

If for whatever reason it did start to rust...I do have many dozen more and they are cheap but I have not had any rust issues.

Edited by hyphaenation, 14 February 2021 - 04:40 PM.

#45 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2021 - 04:43 PM

I had some GLC left in the dabber that I didn't want to waste so I noc'ed up some small jars of popcorn that were on hand. One 3 cc dab in each. 48 hours later they are rocking solidly along.

Attached Thumbnails

• now67.jpg
  • noww66.jpg

Edited by hyphaenation, 14 February 2021 - 04:44 PM.

• Arathu, Microbe and YoshiTrainer like this

#46 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 908 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2021 - 04:44 PM

Maybe you could redesign it with plastic lids if you ever have issues with rusting.
  • hyphaenation likes this

#47 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2021 - 04:49 PM

For sure... I'm not stuck on glass jars but just have a lot of them collected so its in the "use what you got" category.

There are many ways to milk mycelium...

#48 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,627 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2021 - 04:54 PM

Waylitjim explained it like this ...

Popcorn kernels when soaked and swollen create air-pockets between themselves due to their shape. Cubensis myc fills these gaps thickly.

So when you milk off the GLC you are getting a lot of extra-chunk mycelium coming from those pockets ...as well as the stuff on the grain and popcorn has a large surface area to get covered, Then there's the fact that popcorn is quite substantial and it can be milked over and over and it recovers seemingly better and thicker then before within a short time. It seems to enjoy getting the shower & haircut!

That explains why popcorn recovers better.....those pockets. I was able to milk oats 3 times before tossing but it is the exact opposite of popcorn. Each time it recovers there is significantly less biomass to harvest. I had the wife pick up 5 bags of popcorn for me today!

Off topic....assuming i rise the popcorn well and get rid of all the starch before inoculating it, and after the jar colonizes and i milk it, what do you think about using that for storage? Let me ask that a different way. Distilled Water storage works long term but the trick is to eliminate, or at least get the nutrient content down to trace amounts. I wonder if the nutrients, if any would be low enough i can use the myc water and insert it in to my vacuutainers? That will sure beat using using blender lids or a utensil on agar plate. I know it cant be done with my water pulled from oats because you can see the oat debris floating in the solution.

I have not milked popcorn in 5 years probably so i don't know.

Edited by Microbe, 14 February 2021 - 04:55 PM.

• hyphaenation likes this

#49 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2021 - 05:13 PM

I think the most important aspect for storage is a breather... I've seen on here how people had LC's with a breather for many years. If you do the milking gently...by swirling the water in the broken up kernel mass , not too violently... you don't break or damage the popcorn , you don't soak long enough to absorb any "popcorn nutrient" really. It is possible there is some popcorn-nute in the GLC but I suspect it is very low.

I would store the GLC in a glass jar with a breather in a cold/dark/clean place ...like in a cardboard box in a corner of the basement. You can even store colonized jars of popcorn for a whole winter like that without having stripped it into GLC. I've had jars of colonized popcorn stay under a porch all winter , open with no lid, -20C occasionaly and in the spring there it was, sparkling white popcorn still thriving.

I think it might be a better idea to store colonized popcorn in a cold area then to store GLC. Bring the popcorn out on demand and make GLC...  (just a theory)

Not sure if this is where you were going but yeah you can use different kinds of water in the GLC milking , like say distilled water like you mentioned. I even used PC'd Hemp seed oil! In an experiment for longterm storage of mushroom  cultures. Long story short I did everything the same except milked with sterlized Hemp seed oil instead of water. It was of course thicker and slower to drain. It worked ! Mycelium went into the Hemp oil. That was placed in the freezer. Hemp seed oil cannot freeze , so neither did the strands of mycelium inside it. Months/years later it can be used to inoculate...

Edited by hyphaenation, 14 February 2021 - 05:16 PM.

• Microbe and Auhron like this

#50 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 908 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2021 - 05:44 PM

For sure... I'm not stuck on glass jars but just have a lot of them collected so its in the "use what you got" category.
There are many ways to milk mycelium...

I meant plastic for the lids although it occurred to me that they do make stainless steel rings with a stainless steel mesh screen for making sprouts in a mason jar. Perhaps you could use those in a version 2?

#51 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2021 - 05:53 PM

Not stuck on the metal lids  that come with glass jars... I meant to say.

I do try trying to use what I have laying around wherever possible.

#52 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 908 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2021 - 06:19 PM

Your pump idea has my tyring to think of a way to attach a needle to an LC bottle so I can just invert and press to dispense LC. Not that I need this but it sounds kinda cool.

#53 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 681 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 06:25 PM

I'm trying to rig something up with old RX bottles, they are pp5 and that lid fits 2 bottles technically.

Had to grab a magnify glass, they are PP2, I'll have to try and transfer sterile water, but that defeats the purpose.

#54 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 908 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2021 - 06:59 PM

Had to grab a magnify glass, they are PP2, I'll have to try and transfer sterile water, but that defeats the purpose.

I'm not sure what pp2 is. Do you mean it has the #2 symbol? If so wouldnt that mean its HDPE?

#55 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2021 - 07:29 PM

"

Polypropylene (PP)

A 5 inside the triangle indicates the plastic is polypropylene or PP. It is commonly found in medicine bottles, straws, bottle caps, ketchup bottles and syrup bottles, and some yogurt containers. "

What's in your small triangle under the container?

• sandman likes this

#56 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,571 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2021 - 07:45 PM

High Density Polyethylene are what the lids are usually made from. HDPE 2
3F275205-D711-490E-903C-819EEA611565.jpeg

The bottles on the other hand are PP5 unless you look at it from the other side and looks like a bb2 lol

9A8D9301-5A0E-4E8D-9BD2-B5C2340C51EC.jpeg

Edited by coorsmikey, 14 February 2021 - 07:53 PM.

• sandman and Microbe like this

#57 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,000 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2021 - 07:48 PM

just PP....not PP5! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

lol

• rockyfungus likes this

#58 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2021 - 07:54 PM

The bottles on the other hand are PP5 unless you look at it from the other side and looks a bb2 lol

There ya go!   :biggrin:

• Microbe likes this

#59 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2021 - 07:57 PM

just PP....not PP5!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

lol

Bear with us unenlightened cretins while we fumble for the basics...

Edited by hyphaenation, 14 February 2021 - 07:58 PM.

• sandman, Microbe and Sharonlovesu2 like this

#60 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 681 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 08:07 PM

Resin code 2, so HDPE. I see the redundancy now...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!