#141 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2021 - 06:54 PM

Whatever the term ...I shook the popcorn too much last night! It looked cool in the video and all but it really trashed the popcorn and it retained a lot of excess moisture. There is a happy medium between light swirl and whatever I did last night which was simply to violent... I'll know not to do that again.  For my uses a gentle busting up of the mass before GLC milking followed by light-weight swirling and finally proper full draining.

I would not in the future milk an unbroken up grain-mass unless I wanted that pure mycelium free of any grain particulate.

Edited by hyphaenation, 18 February 2021 - 07:00 PM.

• jrh likes this

#142 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 07:05 PM

Are you still talking about the agar jars? So shake the corn, add water, swirl, then extract water?

#143 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2021 - 07:27 PM

Spores to agar

Agar colonizes add popcorn
Popcorn colonizes kick out to new jar via G2G
Reload popcorn in agar jar
Colonize G2G jar#2 (a larger jar)
Milk Jar#2 for GLC
Repeat

It can all be easily done only in the first small jar and a syringe if a wee bit of GLC mycelium is all you need.

• Sidestreet, Arathu, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#144 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2021 - 08:11 PM

What I meant to say above was that breaking up the colonized grain is much better done before when it's dry because breaking it up under water requires a lot of violent shaking which ends up thrashing the grain in the process. Light swirling is totally possible and even a bit harder. My mistake was thinking I was going to break up the mass to a similar extent as I would busting it up dry. All in the name of experimentation ...

• jrh likes this

#145 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,601 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2021 - 08:31 PM

What I meant to say above was that breaking up the colonized grain is much better done before when it's dry because breaking it up under water requires a lot of violent shaking which ends up thrashing the grain in the process. Light swirling is totally possible and even a bit harder. My mistake was thinking I was going to break up the mass to a similar extent as I would busting it up dry. All in the name of experimentation ...

Im pretty sure it was one of your glc threads i read what seems like a ling time ago, but i recall reading that you don't to brake the spawn up to the point, its individual grains but instead to where its just clumpy. Yes? If so i would imagine it helps the mycelium left behind to grow back as a uniform colony and probably less stress on the extracted mycelium also. Am i imagining this? I don't think i seem anyone doing GLC other then in you when i joined back in 2014 and i never have been in the archives so im pretty sure it was you. Your agar/popcorn jars got me in to GLC btw and still today, GLC is my preferred method of inoculating my working spawn......not sure i ever thanked you so thank you Milk Man
  • jrh likes this

#146 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2021 - 09:18 PM

Everything around here is dOpen-Source ...

Borrowed , inspired , refurbished ideas circulating about the place. Lots of good innovation. It's kind of a hive  for ideas.

• Microbe likes this

#147 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 651 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 10:40 PM

How much milk do you add to grains? I eyeballed/poured what I thought was maybe 10CC's, but my jars are soaked!

#148 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,601 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2021 - 10:42 PM

Borrowed , inspired , refurbished ideas circulating about the place. Lots of good innovation. It's kind of a hive for ideas.

“If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants”.

-Isaac Newton-
  • TVCasualty likes this

#149 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,601 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2021 - 10:56 PM

How much milk do you add to grains? I eyeballed/poured what I thought was maybe 10CC's, but my jars are soaked!

I fill mine until the grain is submerged. The key is extracting all the water or most of it and this especially true when using grains like oats which i typically use. I honestly don't know why i have not went exclusively with popcorn for glc purposes. I supposed out of convenience. I always prep more oats then i need for working spawn so the extra gets turned in to masters.

The less water you use, the more difficult or more effort it takes to get the mycelium off the grains but you end up with a higher myc/water ratio. I suppose one could look at it like this.......how many bags/jars would you expand a single jar to? For simple conversation, lets say 1 quart jar to 10. How many cc's of liquid inoculate would you use to inoculate 1 jar? Lets say its 5. You need 50 cc's of solution and you should anticipate loosing at least 10% of water. So in this example i would use inject 55 cc of water.....screw it round up to 60 because you would probably lose more then 10% on a full jar of grain. Note you can get a second pull if you dont get enough your first time.

Hyphe probably has his own calculations he uses but at the end of the day, its about getting as much water out of that jar as possible so that the popcorn can rapidly recover. Oh and i always lay the grain jar on its side after being milked so it lessens the depth of the water pooling up and it gets absorbed quicker. Most of my experience is with oats. I only used popcorn when replicating his agar/popcorn jars. So it may be slightly different when using popcorn repeatedly for milking. I do agree that popcorn is the best grain to use for GLC purposes.

Edited by Microbe, 18 February 2021 - 10:58 PM.

#150 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,952 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:10 AM

Borrowed , inspired , refurbished ideas circulating about the place. Lots of good innovation. It's kind of a hive for ideas.

-Isaac Newton-

You can also see further if standing on the shoulders of really short people, too. It just won't be quite as far. This is only half-facetious.

Every step counts, even the little ones!

"Crowd-sourced" tech is an example of a bunch of (mostly) metaphorically-short people all standing on each other's shoulders so as to gain some of the abilities of a giant (e.g. the OMC vs. a university).

• Microbe likes this

#151 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,601 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 11:42 AM

-Isaac Newton-
You can also see further if standing on the shoulders of really short people, too. It just won't be quite as far. This is only half-facetious.

Every step counts, even the little ones!

"Crowd-sourced" tech is an example of a bunch of (mostly) metaphorically-short people all standing on each other's shoulders so as to gain some of the abilities of a giant (e.g. the OMC vs. a university).
Agreed. It certainly is paying respect to the ones who came before us.

Edited by Microbe, 19 February 2021 - 11:46 AM.

#152 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:42 PM

I had thought the popcorn milked in a harsh manner was toast. It had so much extra moisture thrashed into it that it took maybe 3 or 4 times of letting it pool at the bottom and removing before it settled. It looked tired, beaten and soaked. Not a hint of white in there.

24 hours later and it's not as recovered as a normal milked jar would be but its well on its way! I am very happy with the rebound! I had considered dumping it..

Like the snow building outside...so to does the jar get whited up again!

Now i'll really have to watch for contam as I had to crack lid to drain excess moisture a few times.

Attached Thumbnails

• nowwww.jpg

Edited by hyphaenation, 19 February 2021 - 04:41 PM.

#153 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 04:44 PM

I pre-tested by dabbing into an empty syringe to check a bunch of times...3 cc every time.

What size jars is your 10 cc going into? Only way I have seen 10 CC work properly is with a skiff of dry verm under the grain.Can you show your unit (so to speak) so I can get a visual on what the deal is...

Edited by hyphaenation, 19 February 2021 - 04:45 PM.

#154 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 651 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 07:00 PM

They were standard pint containers, free hand pouring is not my forte.

#155 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 07:22 PM

The leur-lock syringe needle holder (thing the needle slides into as a lid) shown above works really great... even if you just pressure fit it in and do not glue. Do you have any syringe needle caps?

post-104353-0-12666500-1613413571_thumb.

Cut tip off plastic needle-cap
Drill hole in lid on the edge slightly smaller then width of needle-cap body
Pressure fit needle-cap into hole fully (it has a flange on the bottom)
Test dab into empty syringe for quantity check

It's PC'able , reliable and repeatedly dollops 3 cc per dab.

Sorry to sound like a:

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot from 2021-02-19 16-43-04.png

Edited by hyphaenation, 19 February 2021 - 07:44 PM.

• cujoloki and rockyfungus like this

#156 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 03:18 PM

The harshly milked jar is pretty much bounced back. I think I'll retire it into a bed of manure...

The little GLC/G2G generating agar-jar is still pumping after having been relieved of its colonized popcorn umpteen times.

Attached Thumbnails

• noww8509.jpg
  • nowww840.jpg

• EYMAIOS, Microbe and YoshiTrainer like this

#157 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 651 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:37 PM

GLC is fast! Look to be fully colonized in 5 days, gonna let it ride for a few more.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#158 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 651 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:59 PM

Thought I had my first trich on grain. Getting more dye then myc...

leech.JPG

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!