#21 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,632 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2021 - 01:33 PM

I know this is stereotypical but it does take experience driving in snow.

Attached Thumbnails

• maxresdefault.jpg

• Mrs.Hippie3 likes this

#22 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2021 - 02:01 PM

Yes it does! Most younger people don't have enough experience since the winters have been mild.. then you get these guys with 4 wheel drives that have bigger balls than brains and think they won't get stuck.. 4x4s help you go not stop! Still gonna slide on ice. But you might be able to get outta the ditch easier.. lol

#23 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,259 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 06:05 PM

IMHO, the most important thing to do when driving in snow or ice is slow down and give yourself more room to stop and maneuver.    Driving on snow and ice isn't hard to do, but I agree that it does take a little practice.

• Mrs.Hippie3 likes this

#24 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 09:17 PM

Yes i agree! I live on a gravel road and people speed down it all the time even in the snow and ice! It's amazing there's not more wrecks!
  • Juthro likes this

#25 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 581 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:16 AM

It's the acceleration that gets you... speeding up, slowing down, turning.

I used to practice driving in a parking lot after the first big snowfall, but there hasn't been much call for that where I am the past few years.

• Juthro and rockyfungus like this

#26 Mycol

Mycol

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 02:22 PM

So true, if you’ve never practiced driving on snow before then the learning curve is STEEP

Edited by Mycol, 22 February 2021 - 02:22 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#27 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2021 - 03:46 PM

Today it's 55! Huge flock of geese just went over me! Still hear them.. sounds like they landed on the lake across the road.. zoom in and you can see them.. supposed to be even nicer tomorrow at almost 70! Hope that was the last of winter! So ready for spring!

20210222_143911.jpg

20210222_143905.jpg

20210222_143859.jpg

#28 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,341 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2021 - 05:00 PM

IMHO, the most important thing to do when driving in snow or ice is slow down and give yourself more room to stop and maneuver.    Driving on snow and ice isn't hard to do, but I agree that it does take a little practice.

It's why younger drivers have such trouble with it, they don't know how to slow down. What used to take me x amount of meters to stop now takes three times that. I like to do a break test (hammering on the breaks and seeing if I slide) just outside of my house at the start of my morning drive. It's not fool proof but usually a good indication of how slippery she is going to be

Annual snow or not it seems to be there is always that first big snow storm of the year where everybody forgets how to drive in the winter. Still got that summer speed mindset. You wake up and the ditch's are full of cars on your morning commute

• Mycol and rockyfungus like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!